The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#1521 Post by OFSO » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:06 am

Dr had problems feeding needles into the wife's knees two weeks ago so this morning she's being x-rayed. Spoke too soon, has been done...

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1522 Post by Wodrick » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:23 am

G'day,
20c guess 25c
Some cloud around.

Going to learn about Spanish Lottery shops in a moment, and visit the Pharmacia.
I know I won't win 220m € but if don't have a ticket I stand less of a chance, not much less but less.
Why can a ticket not be obtained on line here ?

Both my car and house insurance have gone down this year, both with same company.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#1523 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:07 am

CCTV chaps were due 08.30. No show. Went to the pub at 11.15. They pitched up at the pub as gardener had told them where we were. They are now doing some work.

No car insurance required here. Pointless anyway, if reflective it is your fault.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1524 Post by 1DC » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:41 am

Booked an appointment with the Doc, online, yesterday and earliest available 0920 November 3rd.for a telephone call. I'm old enough to remember when we had a same day serviced and you looked them in the eye.
Apparently this Indian chap who is now running the union says they need more money.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#1525 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:03 pm

1DC wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:41 am
Booked an appointment with the Doc, online, yesterday and earliest available 0920 November 3rd.for a telephone call. I'm old enough to remember when we had a same day serviced and you looked them in the eye.
Apparently this Indian chap who is now running the union says they need more money.
That is outrageous. Here (third world) you just walk in and see a doctor. OK public may require a wait but usually private it is straight in. Dentists do require an appointment but usually a week if not urgent.

CCTV guys are messing with our electric system. They have been switching on systems that we do not require. Why do they not just f...ing ask for help.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1526 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:13 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:03 pm

CCTV guys are messing with our electric system. They have been switching on systems that we do not require. Why do they not just f...ing ask for help.
Are these NRs?

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1527 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:26 pm

220M Euros is £186M.

What the hell would anyone do with £186M?

A PC24; an AW139; a Sadler 39. That doesn't come close to a quarter of that prize. Throw in a Spitfire (of the flying variety) and all the running costs of all those goodies over a decade or two and you might bring that figure up to almost half the prize. What next?

I think they'd be better to spread the money across a dozen or so people rather than throw it all in a single lump at one person.

All the more so as the prize in the UK is paid out tax-free and instantly, unlike in the US where is is subject to heavy taxation and is paid out in installments over 25 years.

In the UK, unlike in the US, a winner is entitled to anonymity. Can you imagine the pressure that Camelot would apply to a UK winner if they tried to take the anonymity option? The free publicity would be worth millions to Camelot.

A neighbour a few miles from here won a high end single figure sum of millions on the UK National Lottery. They went for the publicity option and regretted it. Some years ago at a garden party here somebody asked them what advice they would give to a winner of a large prize. Without hesitation, they said "Three things: first, don't consent to the publicity. Second, move at least 25 miles from your original address to somewhere where local people don't know you. Thirdly, never trust banks".

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1528 Post by handsfree » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:44 pm

Good afternoon all.
Dull and cool here , 14°C.

Took Billy to the City this morning as he isn't too well. Seems that he has another urinary tract infection.
Another 7 days of amoxycillin and he'll be right as rain again.
Had the last 16 staples taken out of my tum at the same appointment. Life is a lot more comfortable now.

Don't worry UP I wasn't going to go for the publicity anyway when I win the £186M. Could be a long time off though as
I never buy a ticket. Mrs HF does though. :-s

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#1529 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:45 pm

New CCTV system fitted. It is a very serious system. We are sure that they have got the invoice wrong in our favour. They still have to tidy up on Monday. Very good resolution. Last one recorded for 2-3 days. This one is 2-3 months.

Hot. Mrs Ex-Ascot in outside bath. One had a cold shower.

Yes CPTN NRs but seem OK. Well they will not get paid until we are happy.

Who in their right mind wants publicity with a lottery win? We made a tenner a couple of times on scratch cards but didn't phone the DM.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1530 Post by Woody » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:46 pm

Are we still doing a headline of the year award, if so think that this is going to be a great contender :D
NHS nurse who claimed she was secretly hypnotised at work causing her to fart against her will loses lawsuit after she was sacked for refusing to see a psychiatrist
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1531 Post by Wodrick » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:07 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:26 pm
220M Euros is £186M.

What the hell would anyone do with £186M?
You could buy the RNLI 75 "Shannon" class lifeboats and still have over 10m remaining.
Shannon class is the current all weather lifeboat.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1532 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:47 pm

I've always fancied owning a lifeboat.

Not often, just occasionally.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1533 Post by OFSO » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:39 pm

Doctor's practice full at lunch time. Went back at five pm, even fuller. Wife waited 90 minutes for her ReHaVis knee injections. I postponed my appointment to tomorrow.

Private practice, must be doing well financially but exhausting.

This area much busier than normal for October, more people about. Not English of course.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1534 Post by Wodrick » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:51 pm

'Tis busy, down here there are quite a few English not very pinks around.

My Last English neighbours (within walking distance) are sold up and going back on 23rd.

Been here 25 years.
Getting lonley, Belgians,Dutch, Frogs, Poles,Swedes and Norwegians, not many English remain here.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1535 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:11 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:07 pm
You could buy the RNLI 75 "Shannon" class lifeboats and still have over 10m remaining.

How many illegal immigrant water taxis would that buy?

Who would pay for the Illegal immigrants for life and for the life expenditure of their kith and kin and progeny?

What are the chances that some other sucker would buy a lottery ticket in the hope that they might pick up the ticket to support those chancers?

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1536 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:55 pm

Had the booster jab today. The vaccine centre was busy with a constant flow of arrivers and leavers; inside were six lines of five patients waiting whilst one being jabbed. The car park was packed, had to drive round a second time to find a parking slot; got the one another car had just vacated. Now got a bit of a banging headache.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1537 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:13 pm

I had mine too, busy inside but car park not too busy. Arm hurt a little bit but not too bad as it's not the arm I had the jab in.
The process was more painful /irksome than the jab.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1538 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:19 pm

Ex-A, a Rotarian in our club won £51m and accepted their offer of publicity. After what he said I would too, except I don't buy tickets.
With publicity you get their full management team handling every thing.
The win didn't really change anything. He stayed in the village, made an offer for a house in large grounds behind a high wall. He did buy a Range Rover and a Lamborghini and on his previously planned trip to NZ took a private jet to USA and upgraded from Business to First Class after that. He concluded first class was a waste of money.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1539 Post by ricardian » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:22 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:03 pm
Here (third world) you just walk in and see a doctor. OK public may require a wait but usually private it is straight in. Dentists do require an appointment but usually a week if not urgent.
Up here you phone the practice manager/receptionist who arranges phone call from GP (or nurse if approriate) on same day - within minutes if urgent. GP (or nurse) phones, discusses symptoms and arranges visit to surgery if considered necessary. Still using masks & hand sanitiser in the surgery and in the shops on the island.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1540 Post by OFSO » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:23 pm

Wodrick, can only agree. All of our friends left or died. Have made a few new ones, but miss the former ones.

Christmas holiday booked, first week staying in Shoreditch London for concerts: Barbican, Wigmore Hall, St James Piccadilly, St Martin in the Fields; and art - National Gallery; Spittalfields Market; plus seeing relatives and friends in the area.