General Chit Chat
Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#11561 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:12 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:51 pm
Sitting in the Chelmsford Everyman cinema having a pre film meal. All very civilised.
What on earth are you doing in Chelmsford? @-) :-o
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11562 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:15 pm

Mrs Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:12 pm
TheGreenAnger wrote:
Sitting in the Chelmsford Everyman cinema having a pre film meal. All very civilised.
And what film to be viewed? :-?

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11563 Post by OFSO » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:27 pm

UK: Government hand-out of £400 to help impoverished people pay their electricity bill.
Spain: government authorises electricity companies to add €475 to every consumer's January bill to help impoverished utility companies make a profit.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11564 Post by 1DC » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:28 pm

Dark and windy on the Humber,a stiff westerly breeze and 6C, has been 8.
Just got back from a trip over the other side of the river. Afternoon tea at the Beverley Arms with the grandchildren, their Christmas present to us. An excellent afternoon.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11565 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:37 pm

Canada:
Provincial government hands out $450 to help impoverished people pay their fuel bill.
Provincial government also ups property taxes by $250, wage taxes by $100, and fuel duties by $200 to pay for handout (plus expenses for arranging handout, such as a nice break in Ottawa to discuss handouts with other Provinces
plus something for the accompanying spouse to spend shopping whilst discussions take place)
Provincial government appoints "independent" commission to review rent increases, to avoid political interference.
Provincial government over-rides "independent" commission because public can't afford recommended rent increases due to cost of living and increases in provincial government taxes.
Provincial government keeps "independent" commission in being and fully salaried.
Provincial government arranges handouts for landlords due to no rent increases being allowed.

Next week: Provincial government discusses tax increases to pay for landlord subsidies.

:o)
..it's clowns all the way down!

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11566 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:19 pm

Mrs Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:12 pm
TheGreenAnger wrote:
Bright lights, big city Mrs-Ex Ascot! =))

One has to see the Wid and the Chelmer (a tributary of the Blackwater after all) once in a while! ;)))

In truth it is the pleasure of the large couches and cushions at the Everyman cinema that drew me to Chelmsford to see (answering PHXPhlyer's question) "Empire of Light" which we both thoroughly enjoyed!

Hoi polloi put off by the art house nature of the films and higher prices, with the pleasures of a good meal and even a glass of wine with the film. No hideous children or chavs! =))

Good God, what an awful snob I have become!
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11567 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:36 pm

Correct use of 'Hoi polloi', so a cultured snob, at least ;)))

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11568 Post by OFSO » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:46 pm

Walk ended early tonight. Got down by the recycling bins, loud and menacing grunt from the bushes behind. Home, mucho pronto...

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11569 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:20 pm

After complaints from the kids about missing too much school, Sanirajak K-12 school in Nunavut has lowered its closing temperature from a windchill of -55 to -60.
Recess (breaks) will be in the gym.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11570 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:26 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:46 pm
Walk ended early tonight. Got down by the recycling bins, loud and menacing grunt from the bushes behind.
Strange location for an amorous assignment.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11571 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:42 pm

Eco-warriors, probably.
Should have disturbed them - goodness knows we don't need them breeding!

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11572 Post by llondel » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:50 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:12 pm
llondel wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:16 am
The sliding door I previously opened to run the cable out to the camera wouldn't slide today, so they got to have their first outdoor experience off-camera.
WD 40 and hammer to help it slide.
Duct tape if it won't stop sliding.

Further thought on WiFi camera(s) for patio.
No outside outlets? :-?
I prised the door open by unlocking it and then going outside to pull it. I don't have a WiFi camera I can use, and currently there's no convenient power outlet either, although it occurs to me that there's a junction box in a convenient location where I could fit a socket. That would help with the van, too. I've got that on an extension lead charging the battery, so having a socket close would mean I could provide it with shore power when it's not being used for a few weeks. Also taking it to get an AC unit fitted later this week.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11573 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:08 pm

I had my first lesson on being a navigator - map reader on a historical car race. Not a bad experience.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11574 Post by Hydromet » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:45 pm

Had a nice long walk yesterday morning, then an unexpected visit from a former colleague of Mrs Hydro. Pleasant salad lunch entirely from fresh goodies from my garden, after which I rudely went to sleep. Consequently, difficulty getting to sleep last night.
D2 and family returning from holiday in Boulder, CO with D1 & husband. Daughters get on much better since they've lived in different countries.
Workshop day today, will start on lining for a presentation box.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11575 Post by Wodrick » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:07 pm

Just returned from following H around, just until he had emptied as it'sPiss raining hard.
5c still trending down.

No boar tonight, although they are around, but H seems to have found where the local Fox hangs out.
Out of the undergrowth and away in hot pursuit again.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11576 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:44 am

Morning folks. Nice day, forecast to cloud over. Mammoth watering. Yesterday was surprisingly quiet on the lagoon. After Christmas shortage of funds? He was charging 38 quid for a three hour cruise including some awful food over the holiday period. That is a fortune for here. The minimum wage here is 50p an hour. Our staff are on double that.

Had a very pleasant chap approach us for a job the other day when in town. He even had what looked like a CV in a plastic folder under his arm. You never see beggars here. They ask for a job or offer to clean your windscreen but don't beg. We had a blind busker outside Safari Spar for years he seems to have gone. The problem was that he only knew one tune. It was bad enough sitting there for an hour. I would have hated to be a security guard on the door. He has gone now. Someone probably smashed the guitar over his head. There was a 'blind' busker outside a restaurant by the airport for some years. He would bump into pillars and trip over things then look left and right before crossing the road.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11577 Post by TheGreenAnger » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:48 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:44 am
There was a 'blind' busker outside a restaurant by the airport for some years. He would bump into pillars and trip over things then look left and right before crossing the road.

=))
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11578 Post by TheGreenAnger » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:52 am

A balmy 6 degrees Celsius here. It is amazing how many people are about at this time of the morning. Just bumped into our postman walking in shorts (as usual) to the depot on the high street. He also sorts mail before he goes out delivering. I should see him again at about 10:00 AM.

EGSS 292254Z 3000/3106 24009KT 9999 SCT022 TEMPO 3000/3005 BKN009 PROB40 TEMPO 3000/3004 4000 -DZ BECMG 3004/3007 30010KT BECMG 3021/3024 24008KT TEMPO 3104/3106 BKN011

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11579 Post by OFSO » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:23 am

Another freezing morning, and that's indoors despite heating being on. Glimmers of light in the sky to the east.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11580 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:45 am

TGA that is a brilliant film. Very well written and cast. We have seen it many times in fact may watch it again tonight now you have reminded us of it. Glad you enjoyed your night at the flicks. Hate the cinema but that sounds civilised.

Waiting for our man to tile the safari bathroom shower. Just been on to the CCTV people AGAIN. He said that they will send an estimate. I said just get yourself here NOW with an invoice and I will pay it in front of you on Internet banking before you start the job. He says 14.00. we will see. I reminded him that we have big signs up saying Security Systems 24 hour surveillance but we haven't. 10 days now without cameras. If we get no action today I am going to the top. It is a huge company and I think that their operations director is British. You can hire a trained guard dog from them! They also do 'covert surveillance' . Once asked them what that meant but never got a proper answer.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.