These boots were made for walking...

General Chit Chat
4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: These boots were made for walking...

#21 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:51 am

I've got a pair of Merrells and I agree, they are very comfortable. In fact they get better with use - waterproof as well. Got them at a high street outdoor activities shop and cost over a ton. Had to exchange the first pair as it appears with Merrells, you need to buy the next size up from your normal shoe size - the original purchased shoes were too tight on my toes.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

fin
Capt
Capt

#22 Post by fin » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:45 pm

L.L. Bean
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Hydromet » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:42 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:51 am
I've got a pair of Merrells and I agree, they are very comfortable. In fact they get better with use - waterproof as well. Got them at a high street outdoor activities shop and cost over a ton. Had to exchange the first pair as it appears with Merrells, you need to buy the next size up from your normal shoe size - the original purchased shoes were too tight on my toes.
Just checked and, yes, mine are a size larger than I normally wear.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:14 pm

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:14 am

My family's fortune was made by Potters Drums. Very well known in its day. They provided a lot more than drums to the Empire. They provided all sorts of regalia and musical instruments to the armies of the Empire and later to the armies and other armed forces of the ones which cast off the clothes and other paraphernalia at the end of Empire and needed authentic replacements.

The Firm had two retail shops, though I know not why. One was in central London at a place which even today is known to London taxi drivers as "Potters' Corner", though it is not shown as such on any map. The other was in Aldershot.

For some obscure reason, the Aldershot shop sold records. Vinyl things that ran at 45 or 33 rpm on a guzzround thingy. Staying with my Great Aunt Phoebe, I was taken in her 1920s Rolls Royce to the Aldershot shop, which had famously well respected craftsmen, because I wanted to have a leather sleeve made to fit my left arm as I had taken up archery. Are you still with me?

While waiting for the chief craftsman to attend to me, I was asked to choose whichever record I wanted.

For whatever reason, I chose that "These boots are made for walkin'" one.

Do y'all still award an award for thread drift?

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:26 am

I still have a pair of Red Wings working boots which I've been using since 1976.

They are indestructible, as I've proven umptyump thousand times in three score or or more countries and off their shores.

They've got thousands of miles on their 'clock' in tractors hereabouts too. I wear them almost every day around the farms that I work on/for.

Fukkn brilliant things. More reliable than most wimmin.

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#27 Post by bob2s » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:31 am

UP, a valiant effort, but must try harder if you expect to be included in this year's nominations.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:36 am

Nice to know that sumbdy somewhere reads a post of mine from beginning to end.

Even better: to find a literate Strine. Not a lot of 'em about, y'know. Though they do sometimes come out from under a stone or a kangaroo's arse after the sun sets on the civilised hemisphere.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:46 am

A slight thread drift to shoes. 20 odd years ago I was diagnosed with plantars fasciitis. The consultant said I should wear ECCO shoes both inside and outside the house. I have, or had, 9 pairs in use which I collected over the years when offers were on and I rotate them, wearing a pair for a week at a time. In the last month the soles of two pairs have disintegrated. As you can see from the photo the soles are hardly worn at all but the shoes are probably a few years old.
IMG_1395-2.JPG
IMG_1395-2.JPG (18.57 KiB) Viewed 306 times
ECCO say the problem is hydrolysis, a chemical breakdown of the PU polymer, resulting in physical breakdown or crumbling of the PU sole by the attack of water (usually in vapour form), occurring over a period of several years. It happens more quickly in confined spaces (such as lockers) if the shoes are put away damp. They say they stand by their soles even if out of warranty and I have a claim ongoing at the moment for replacement shoes.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:54 am

These boots will self-destruct in 4,3,2,1 seconds... ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:56 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:14 am
My family's fortune was made by Potters Drums. Very well known in its day. They provided a lot more than drums to the Empire. They provided all sorts of regalia and musical instruments to the armies of the Empire and later to the armies and other armed forces of the ones which cast off the clothes and other paraphernalia at the end of Empire and needed authentic replacements.

The Firm had two retail shops, though I know not why. One was in central London at a place which even today is known to London taxi drivers as "Potters' Corner", though it is not shown as such on any map. The other was in Aldershot.

For some obscure reason, the Aldershot shop sold records. Vinyl things that ran at 45 or 33 rpm on a guzzround thingy. Staying with my Great Aunt Phoebe, I was taken in her 1920s Rolls Royce to the Aldershot shop, which had famously well respected craftsmen, because I wanted to have a leather sleeve made to fit my left arm as I had taken up archery. Are you still with me?

While waiting for the chief craftsman to attend to me, I was asked to choose whichever record I wanted.

For whatever reason, I chose that "These boots are made for walkin'" one.

The musical side of your family's business could have used "The Potters strums..." byline! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:18 am

Black Crocs. Not y're usual sandal type crocs but fully fashioned shoes albeit with the holes all over them, and are held by an elasticated band around the ankle that just needs to be pulled on, no laces required. Haven't worn anything else, ever, formal or informal since I discovered them about 6 years ago. Learning from past experience of the influence of Fashionistas constantly changing what is available, I bought two pairs, should have bought 12, as "they" have stopped making them now and the soles occasionally need renewing. A local "cobbler" said " No one repairs soles now, throw them away and buy another pair" . The local tyre shop gave me a couple of punctured inner tubes that they were throwing away, so I occasionally fashion a new sole and stick it on with contract adhesive.

Best shoes I've ever worn, I think I'll ask to be buried in them. Only problem is ..... I can't walk through puddles, however shallow.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:31 am

Have a pair of Mongrel brand elastic sided steel cap boots. Worn them for about 5 years now.

Just won't wear out! :-bd :-bd

Used to wear calf-length Redwings when working on a Seismic Survey Crew in the GAFA another lifetime ago.
The best boots for traipsing around in that part of Australia. :-bd
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by Hydromet » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:21 am

One of the surveyors I worked with in PNG had a pair of those calf-length Redwings, he also reckoned they were the best boots around.