The full list of 2021 Ig Nobel award winners:

General Chit Chat
Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

The full list of 2021 Ig Nobel award winners:

#1 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:04 am

Biology Prize: Susanne Schötz, for analysing variations in purring, chirping, chattering, trilling, tweedling, murmuring, meowing, moaning, squeaking, hissing, yowling, howling, growling, and other modes of cat-human communication.

Ecology Prize: Leila Satari and colleagues, for using genetic analysis to identify the different species of bacteria that reside in wads of discarded chewing gum stuck on pavements in various countries.

Chemistry Prize: Jörg Wicker and colleagues, for chemically analysing the air inside movie theatres, to test whether the odours produced by an audience reliably indicate the levels of violence, sex, antisocial behaviour, drug use, and bad language in the movie the audience is watching.

Economics Prize: Pavlo Blavatskyy, for discovering that the obesity of a country's politicians may be a good indicator of that country's corruption.

Medicine Prize: Olcay Cem Bulut and colleagues, for demonstrating that sexual orgasms can be as effective as decongestant medicines at improving nasal breathing.

Peace Prize: Ethan Beseris and colleagues, for testing the hypothesis that humans evolved beards to protect themselves from punches to the face.

Physics Prize: Alessandro Corbetta and colleagues, for conducting experiments to learn why pedestrians do not constantly collide with other pedestrians.

Kinetics Prize: Hisashi Murakami and colleagues, for conducting experiments to learn why pedestrians do sometimes collide with other pedestrians.

Entomology Prize: John Mulrennan Jr and colleagues, for their research study "A New Method of Cockroach Control on Submarines".

Transportation Prize: Robin Radcliffe and colleagues, for determining by experiment whether it is safer to transport an airborne rhinoceros upside down.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The full list of 2021 Ig Nobel award winners:

#2 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:51 am

I raise my early morning glass of orange juice, in a silent salute to these Ignoble stalwarts, who battle their sometimes lonely empirical furrows, at the forefront of knowledge, often facing the ridicule of their peers, so that people like me can have a good laugh and be better informed about less and less over my shredded wheat in the morning! :)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by bob2s » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:56 am

Ah yes,I can see the above will add to the advancement of man kind, NOT! 8-}

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:42 am

bob2s wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:56 am
Ah yes,I can see the above will add to the advancement of man kind, NOT! 8-}
I was wondering whether or not an Ig recipient had ever received a Nobel prize for his/her work (not necessarily the same work that resulted in the Ig award).

I will check!

Yes, here he is...

Andre Geim...
The Ig Nobel Prizes began in 1991 and are awarded for seemingly trivial or amusing advances in research. They are organised by the Annals of Improbable Research, a US publication which takes a humorous approach to science. Andre Geim (Russia), won an Ig Nobel in 2000 for levitating a frog using magnets. Geim then won a Nobel Prize in Physics in 2010 for his research into graphene.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Pinky the pilot » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:37 am

Medicine Prize: Olcay Cem Bulut and colleagues, for demonstrating that sexual orgasms can be as effective as decongestant medicines at improving nasal breathing.
The mind boggles as to what type of research produced that paper! :-?
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Archer
Snr FO
Snr FO

#6 Post by Archer » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:11 pm

--
A Little VC10derness - https://www.VC10.net

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by EA01 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:06 am

What is an ig? or Ig?
demonstrating that sexual orgasms can be as effective as decongestant medicines at improving nasal breathing.
This has not been my experience.....does not mean I will not try again though...

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Hydromet » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:29 am

EA01 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:06 am
What is an ig? or Ig?
demonstrating that sexual orgasms can be as effective as decongestant medicines at improving nasal breathing.
This has not been my experience.....does not mean I will not try again though...
Is that because you're breathing through your ears at the time?

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by EA01 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:35 am

You are very quick Hydro!.....