Stupidity goes deep!!!

General Chit Chat
Clever and Cunning.
FO
FO

Re: Stupidity goes deep!!!

#41 Post by Clever and Cunning. » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:18 pm

"as for being a pilot. nah, I just own 3 of them and I'm a wannabe :-)"

Really, glue them together yourself or did someone help you.

GrumpyOldFart
Snr FO
Snr FO

#42 Post by GrumpyOldFart » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:06 pm

My goodness, C&C, you have such a way with words! Work in PR do you?
The older I get, the grumpier I get.
I may soon have to start biting people. X(

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by Boac » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:58 am

I reckon it is time to re-awaken this thread which was doing so nicely when it died.

20 years since the Iraq invasion. Remember the scorn that was heaped on the French? "Cheese-eating surrender monkeys" I recall was the OK expression at the time. Perhaps time to admit they were right and say 'sorry'?

Watching all the dust-sheets coming off the history of the conduct of US 'policy' at present, I find myself wondering if even 9/11 was a 'convenient happening' to frighten people into supporting an attack on Iraq, and all that that conspiracy theory entails. Let's not mention 'Weapons of mass destruction'................

I was 'convinced' at the time. Have I been that gullible?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by Woody » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:19 am

Where do you start, Scotland, Westminster, Moscow?
When all else fails, read the instructions.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by barkingmad » Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:54 pm

Never mind the METAR, do these unwise folks ever heed the TAF before they lose their own lives, screw up the lives of their relatives and friends and drain the resources of Search & Rescue services who may have more pressing callouts?

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -highlands

It’s probably a thrilling experience for a good day out but with “A search was carried out in difficult weather conditions, with low visibility caused by mist and fog”, one must ask WTF were they doing up there if that was the weather conditions during their ‘adventure’.

So we just wait until the next event wondeting how experienced they were, what navigation abilities they had snd were they relying on an iPhone compass for directional guidance in the possible IMC conditions…

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by OFSO » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:40 pm

Just watching my local tv news. Tourists at l'Escala walking past signs warning of rock falls from cliffs, down to the beach, strewn with huge boulders from recent falls. Spreading out beach towels to picnic and frolic under the vertical cliffs behind them. Stupidity knows no limits.

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#47 Post by G~Man » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:23 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:54 pm
It’s probably a thrilling experience for a good day out but with “A search was carried out in difficult weather conditions, with low visibility caused by mist and fog”, one must ask WTF were they doing up there if that was the weather conditions during their ‘adventure’.
What am I missing here? Had they been missing for three months and starved to death, or was it way below freezing for a few days? How did three people die in these conditions?
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by Boac » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:37 pm

I suspect they fell off the very narrow ridge?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:40 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:54 pm
Never mind the METAR, do these unwise folks ever heed the TAF before they lose their own lives, screw up the lives of their relatives and friends and drain the resources of Search & Rescue services who may have more pressing callouts?

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -highlands

So we just wait until the next event wondeting how experienced they were, what navigation abilities they had snd were they relying on an iPhone compass for directional guidance in the possible IMC conditions…
Darwin Awardees!

PP

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#50 Post by G~Man » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:00 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:37 pm
I suspect they fell off the very narrow ridge?
Aha---that makes sense, although really......all 3 of them? Makes you wonder huh.......? Stupid is as stupid does...
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by Boac » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:56 pm

Roped?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:05 am

They were, in fact, roped together 'for safety'!

Roped together.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by OneHungLow » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:45 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:05 am
They were, in fact, roped together 'for safety'!

Roped together.
Seems that these folks did everything correctly and were unlucky. I have done the striding edge of Helvellyn in winter and roped up with my better half. Trying to hold two fallers in wet slippery conditions would have been very difficult even for an experienced guide.
The observer of fools in military south and north...

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by OneHungLow » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:05 am

A man who was one of three hikers who died together walking the Aonach Eagach in Glen Coe last weekend has been named by his family as Graham Cox.

A spokesperson for the family described the 60-year-old as “a much-loved husband, father, son and brother … He is remembered by all as the kindest, loveliest man. The family is devastated by his loss and request privacy at this time.”

Cox died alongside a 64-year-old woman and a 39-year-old man, who is understood to have been their guide. They have not yet been named at the request of their families.

Their bodies were recovered on Sunday in a challenging operation involving groups of volunteers from the Glencoe mountain rescue team along with the Inverness coastguard search and rescue helicopter, after the trio were reported overdue from the ridge on Saturday night.

During the week, members of the tight-knit local climbing community described their shock at the tragic accident. One said: “It brings it home because it’s one of our own.”

The guide has been described as highly experienced and very good at his job.

The three individuals who died are thought to have fallen while roped together for a process called rope scrambling, a common method for traversing the narrow and jagged ridge employed with less experienced hikers.

Roped scrambling involves two scenarios. First, “taking the rope for a walk” happens on easier terrain, where the climbers are still attached but moving together and the rope is slack, with no useful function.

Hiking.JPG

Then on more difficult terrain, the guide is secured to an anchor point and deploys the rope tightly, so that if one person slips, he can arrest their fall quickly.

There is an inherent risk in roping people together. If one person were to fall when the rope was slack, for example, they could pull the other two down with them. Such occurrences are rare but possible.

Crossing Aonach Eagach – which means “notched ridge” in Scots Gaelic – can take up to nine hours and it climbs to a height of 968 metres (3,175ft). Local guides recommend that hikers approach it after some experience of scrambling – using your hands to keep balance on rocky terrain – and down-climbing – as the lengthy ridge has as many down sections as ups.

The Glencoe mountain rescue team leader, Brian Bathurst, said the tragic accident had had “an impact on the local climbing community, and further afield”.

He told BBC Radio Scotland on Tuesday that the route was popular, which most traversed safely, but it included some “steep, exciting scrambles”.

He added: “The weather is changeable and it certainly can be misty and wet. A lot of the rock is also worn away so it is slippery when wet. The ridge does not offer any safe exits so once you are committed you have to either carry on or go back the way you came.”

The rescuers involved in the “incredibly difficult callout” – many of whom were volunteers – were praised on Friday.

A joint statement on behalf of the Association of Mountaineering Instructors, Mountain Training, Mountaineering Scotland and the British Mountaineering Council said: “We were deeply saddened to learn about the tragic accident that took place in Glen Coe, which resulted in the untimely loss of three lives.

“Our heartfelt condolences go out to the families and friends of the individuals who were tragically taken from us in this devastating incident.

“Please know that our thoughts are with all those who have been affected by this heartbreaking event. We would also like to recognise and thank the efforts of the volunteers of Glencoe mountain rescue team, the RAF mountain rescue team and the coastguard for what would have been an incredibly difficult callout.”
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... graham-cox
The observer of fools in military south and north...