viewtopic.php?t=6827

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Electric cars

#162 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:23 pm

VP959 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:10 pm
The top speed was achieved by test pilot and director of flight operations Phill O'Dell.

"This is the highlight of my career and is an incredible achievement for the whole team," he said.
17 years pilot RAF, 20 years RR pilot.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#163 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:10 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:23 pm
VP959 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:10 pm
The top speed was achieved by test pilot and director of flight operations Phill O'Dell.

"This is the highlight of my career and is an incredible achievement for the whole team," he said.
17 years pilot RAF, 20 years RR pilot.
Interesting guy and seems like a really likeable, decent chap too...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#164 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:46 pm

ACC
I have only driven two cars with ACC. The first was a loaner overnight and I didn't have time to explore all of its capabilities. I did make use of ACC but took some time to trust it.
The second was a long weekend rental and I put a lot of highway miles on it and grew to trust the ACC fully.
When back in my own car I nearly wrecked as I forgot that mine didn't have ACC.

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#165 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:05 pm

Tesla drivers said they were left unable to open their cars due to a server error.

Shortly before rush hour in the US on Friday, drivers reported that the app they use to connect to their vehicles was not working.

Several drivers tweeted Tesla owner Elon Musk on Twitter to ask what had gone wrong. One driver said the problem appeared to be worldwide.

Mr Musk replied to say that he was checking and later said the fault may have been down to an accident on Tesla's part.

“Apologies, we will take measures to ensure this doesn't happen again,” he said.

The Tesla app is used as a key by drivers to unlock and start their vehicles.

When users were hit with a 500 server error, they found themselves unable to connect and many went online to complain.

“I'm stuck an hour away from home because I normally use my phone to start [my] car,” one owner tweeted.

More than 500 users reported an error on the app at 4.40pm ET (8.40pm GMT), according to outage tracker DownDetector. Around five hours later reports were down to 25.

Drivers would be able to access their cars through other means than the app, Stuart Mason, editor of The Car Expert website, told the BBC.

“There will be a secondary mechanism to get in or out of the car beyond the app, the difficulty will come for drivers if they are not carrying it,” he said.

“Technology makes things convenient, but relies on a server working 100 per cent of the time. It's the same as leaving the house without my credit cards, expecting to pay for things with my smartphone. If we are reliant on one mechanism all the time, we can be caught out.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 61339.html
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#166 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:33 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:46 pm
When back in my own car I nearly wrecked as I forgot that mine didn't have ACC.

PP
Another ACC gotcha is disengaging ACC and then forgetting it's disengaged. Same difference :)

At least with the Toyota there is a backup when it will apply the brakes anyway. I think there is a maximum speed from which it will stop in time but not particularly high.

First time I 'tested' this was driving into my garage. The proximity warners flashed orange, the red, then the car SLAMMED to a stop as if I had hit the wall. It was one foot clear.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#167 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:07 pm

PN:
Which Toyota and year?

PP

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#168 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:58 pm

Corolla 2020

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#169 Post by jimtherev » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:41 pm

Re the RR aircraft...
What an incredibly naff picture. Looks like the design for the top of an Airfix box.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#170 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:59 pm

Just back from the dentist. Long chat as we found we have both ordered a Kia EV6, mine from Kia Forfar, his from Kia Dundee. Also with the current surge (pun not intended!) in used car values both of us sold our main cars when ordering - to the slight displeasure of our respective wives - pending delivery of both our EV6s in late March.

Shortly going to order an Ohme Home Pro electric vehicle charger for installation in the garage. With an accredited installer it qualifies for the £350 Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV) grant plus as we are in Scotland we get another £250 from the Energy Saving Trust.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#171 Post by OFSO » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:03 pm

Filled the Mondeo tank with diesel juice this morning. Elderly limping man filling jerry can ahead of me, holding can up to nozzle, other hand gently squeezing valve. Can blew back over him. Limped away v e r y slowly. Didn't pay. By the time I'd sorted it out I could have charged a Tesla up to 50%, if I could afford a Tesla.

He probably paid in sausages. Long story I won't repeat here.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#172 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:11 pm

A Tesla helped a Valley family escape a home surrounded by javelinas

With a squadron of javelinas surrounding their Scottsdale home, one family had to get creative to scare off the animals. Enter their Model Three Performance Tesla.

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — A confrontation between a squadron of javelinas and a Valley family was narrowly avoided on Nov. 15. #:-S

Kimberly and Jeff Weeldreyer were showing one of their friends their under-construction, newly-built home near the Troon Golf course in North Scottsdale, just under Tom’s Thumb when Jeff spotted the animals.

With two babies in the squad, Jeff knew they could become protective. He quickly suggested to his wife and their friend, Carolyn, to retreat back inside the home.

Kimberly and Carolyn at first didn’t know why. Jeff stated there were javelinas around the corner. The three then returned to the safety of the house and started taking videos and pictures of the desert animals.

Carolyn had never seen these types of animals, so it was a cool experience for them. However, these little desert dwellers weren’t automatically scared to leave the area when the Weeldreyer’s or their friend began making noises.

“We would open the window and make a loud noise like this (clapping) and they would just freeze for a second," Jeff said. "Then they would just go back to what they were doing.”

After about ten minutes or so, Jeff thought “Ok, this is pretty neat, but after five or six minutes, I’m like we're trapped inside of the house. Because of all the javelinas outside and they are not leaving.” :-ss

Now it was time to get creative, with Jeff’s Model Three Performance Tesla sitting in their driveway with the ability for autopilot and to be summoned via the Tesla app.

“Ok well, let’s see what happens if I move this big car right behind him and see how they will react,” he said.

As he moved the vehicle, the squadron of javelinas took to formation and with lightspeed, bolted away from the area.

“Yea, one of our friends said, it looks like their hairs stood up,” Kimberly said in a video shot during the encounter. She also added “Tesla for the win.”

Asked what Tesla’s new slogan could be after seeing this, Jeff said “maybe they put a new feature in so it makes some kind of lion noise or something. They can kind of built on it, market it as some kind of animal protection device.”

With all jokes aside, the Weeldreyer's know this will not be the last time they will have encounters with wildlife after they move in.

“Here we are, we are living among the wildlife, it’s part of it," Kimberly said. "So we are on their turf. We have to learn to share the turf together.”

But the couple added they know what to do next time if they are ever trapped inside their home because of wildlife. :YMAPPLAUSE:

“We can clear them out if we want to. We know what to do now.” L-)

A few takeaways:
Said in the bar afterwards..."there I was, surrounded by a squadron of javelinas".
According to Google the collective noun for javelinas really is a squadron.
Would have been better if it was a rabid Grizzly Bear or something similar.
Will Tesla market this feature in a different way now?
Does the Tesla fob have a panic button as most other cars do?
Would a BB gun work better than a Tesla at clearing them out?
Hopefully, no one will suffer permanent psychological scarring from this traumatic event. =))

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#173 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:17 pm

Rivian shares plunge after saying it won't work with Ford on EVs

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/22/investin ... index.html

New York (CNN Business)Shares of upstart electric truck maker Rivian plunged as much as 17% in morning trading Monday after confirming reports that it is no longer working with Ford to jointly develop vehicles.

Both Ford and Rivian had already signaled they were moving away from earlier plans to work together on EVs. But the news first reported late Friday by Automotive News sent Rivian shares down 3% in the last hour of trading Friday, and wider reports sent shares sharply lower Monday. By midday Rivian shares were off their lows of the day but still down about 13%.
Rivian and Ford both issued statements saying that their plans and needs had changed since the original collaboration was announced, and pointed out that Ford remains a major investor in Rivian, holding roughly 12% of its shares outstanding.
Ford had announced a $500 million investment in Rivian in April 2019 that included plans for joint EV development. But a year later it dropped plans to develop a Lincoln-branded EV pickup with Rivian, and no new plans had been announced.
"As Ford has scaled its own EV strategy and demand for Rivian vehicles has grown, we've mutually decided to focus on our own projects and deliveries," said a statement from Rivian. "Our relationship with Ford is an important part of our journey, and Ford remains an investor and ally on our shared path to an electrified future."
Rivian CEO and founder RJ Scaringe, left, and Ford Executive Chairman Bill Ford in 2019 when they announced a strategic partnership between the two companies. News that the companies would no longer work together sent shares of
Rivian shares have soared in value since its initial public offering earlier this month, despite the fact that it has yet to report any revenue from sales of its electric trucks. Even with the plunge in price Monday, the company's market value of $96 billion is still about 20% more than the value of Ford's (F) shares. Amazon (AMZN), which has a contract to buy electric delivery vans from Rivian, holds an 18% stake in the company.
Production of Rivian's pickup started in September, although it is still in ramp-up mode. The company is planning to use at least some of the proceeds from its stock sales to increase its own capacity.
Meanwhile Ford recently announced a $7 billion investment — the largest single investment in its history — in a new assembly factory and three new battery plants it will jointly own with Korean supplier SK Innovations. The factory, which will build electric pickups, will be in Tennessee, and the battery plants will be in Tennessee and Kentucky. It is part of Ford's plan to invest $30 billion in electric vehicles in the next five years, with the goal of 40% of its total sales being of electric vehicles by 2030.

Rivian has $0 in revenue and is now the third most valuable carmaker on the planet
Ford expects to begin deliveries of its own electric pickup, the F-150 Lightning, which is being built at a new plant in Detroit, sometime next year. Ford said that its battery electric vehicle plans are in "a much different place than we were even a year ago."
"While Rivian is doing lots of interesting things and we've got great respect for R.J. [Scaringe, the Rivian CEO] and his team, we like very much where we're at, and Ford and Rivian have both agreed we'll not pursue any kind of joint vehicle development or platform sharing," said Ford's statement.
Shares of Ford (F) were up in midday trading.

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#174 Post by OFSO » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:20 pm

What's a panic button? When does one panic?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#175 Post by Boac » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:17 pm

The whole thing is a boar.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#176 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:14 am

Boac wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:17 pm
The whole thing is a boar.
20211124_110414.jpg
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#177 Post by OFSO » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:17 am

The sort of twigs I collect...

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#178 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:33 pm

I'd never heard of a Javelina, so looked it up and found this:

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#179 Post by OFSO » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:44 pm

Not that I'd ever buy an electric car, but is it necessary to buy and have installed a home car charger if one wants fast charging? I see they cost around £500-£600, and must be "professionally" installed. £600 is what I pay for diesel for a year, so this seems a high price. Plus an installation fee for screwing the box on a wall and three (single phase) or four (three phase) wires to connect to one's fusebox, the sort of thing I've done myself several times.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#180 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:22 pm

Home charging and fast charging are very different things.

A single phase home charger will give you around 7kW and a three phase one might give you around 22kW.

A fast charger nowadays can deliver up to 350kW. Those things are not at all domestic. Nor are rhinoceroses.