General Chit Chat
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Stupid Is As Stupid Does

#21 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:43 pm

‘Bad idea’: Man tries to steal from Walmart during Shop with a Cop event

https://www.azfamily.com/2022/12/03/bad ... cop-event/

ST. CLOUD, Fla. (Gray News) - Authorities in Florida say a man is facing charges after he attempted to steal from a store filled with law enforcement.

The Osceola County Sheriff’s Office reports a suspect attempted to steal from a Walmart in St. Cloud during its annual Shop with a Cop event for community children.

According to the sheriff’s office, the event included nearly 40 deputies in attendance along with the forensics team, community service team, and Sheriff Marcos Lopez inside the store.

Authorities identified the suspect as Brad and shared photos of the man in handcuffs along with the items confiscated.

The sheriff’s office called the attempted stealing a “bad idea.”

PP

prospector
Capt
Capt

#22 Post by prospector » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:37 am

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/health/other/ ... 34dff02629

"Australia’s former deputy prime minister was taken to hospital after drinking an entire bowl of a traditional drink with sedative qualities that was meant to be sipped."

"Michael McCormack was treated for dehydration after consuming an entire shell of Micronesian sakau in one go, believing it to be similar to South Pacific kava.

The drink is intended to be consumed in small quantities at a time.

The Nationals MP said: “In a bid to show my respect to local traditions I drank the whole bowl of Sakau. Feeling much better now.”

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:50 am

From my NextDoor email this morning

At 2:30 this morning my truck and another vehicle were stolen from my front drive. I was able to locate my truck that was dropped off, but we still have not found the Porsche(Macan). If you see this car, please call the police

Hank Gallo

Sorry to hear that!
1 day ago

Fay Winter
• MountainGate III
Must have been towed? What year is the Porsche?
1 day ago
Travis Carter
Author • MountainGate II
Fay Winter
it was not towed. My ring camera shows at least two individuals breaking into my truck and stealing the truck and the Porsche.
1 day ago

Fay Winter
• MountainGate III
Were the keys in the truck? Looks too new to have been taken without the keys.
1 day ago

Travis Carter
Author • MountainGate II
Yes. They were accidentally left in the truck along with a purse that contain the keys to the Porsche. Very bad timing.

Bad timing, my ass.
Shear stupidity.
People with too much money and not enough of anything else.

PP

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:00 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:50 am
From my NextDoor email this morning

At 2:30 this morning my truck and another vehicle were stolen from my front drive. I was able to locate my truck that was dropped off, but we still have not found the Porsche(Macan). If you see this car, please call the police

Hank Gallo

Sorry to hear that!
1 day ago

Fay Winter
• MountainGate III
Must have been towed? What year is the Porsche?
1 day ago
Travis Carter
Author • MountainGate II
Fay Winter
it was not towed. My ring camera shows at least two individuals breaking into my truck and stealing the truck and the Porsche.
1 day ago

Fay Winter
• MountainGate III
Were the keys in the truck? Looks too new to have been taken without the keys.
1 day ago

Travis Carter

Author • MountainGate II
Yes. They were accidentally left in the truck along with a purse that contain the keys to the Porsche. Very bad timing.

Bad timing, my ass.
Shear stupidity.
People with too much money and not enough of anything else.

PP
Ah, a man who can't recognize his windshear from his own sheer stupidity!

Not knowing his arse from his elbow!

PS - Not referring to you by the way PHP, I realised, upon a second reading that my comment might be misconstrued! =)) ;)))
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:57 pm

prospector wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:37 am
https://www.msn.com/en-nz/health/other/ ... 34dff02629

"Australia’s former deputy prime minister was taken to hospital after drinking an entire bowl of a traditional drink with sedative qualities that was meant to be sipped."

"Michael McCormack was treated for dehydration after consuming an entire shell of Micronesian sakau in one go, believing it to be similar to South Pacific kava.

The drink is intended to be consumed in small quantities at a time.

The Nationals MP said: “In a bid to show my respect to local traditions I drank the whole bowl of Sakau. Feeling much better now.”
Reminds me of Icelandic moonshine. A sip of this absorbed all the saliva in the mouth. I think it was akin to avtur.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by ricardian » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:04 pm

Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:12 am

Rectum.
Damn near killed'um. :ymdevil:

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:27 pm

Arizona flood rescues and the ‘Stupid Motorist Law’

https://www.azfamily.com/2023/03/22/ari ... orist-law/

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) — Arizona has been experiencing a lot of flooding recently due to rainfall and snowmelt spread across the region. With the flooding comes evacuation advisories and people taking risks in high flood waters despite those advisories, which appears to be the case Wednesday morning in Cave Creek.

In 1995, Arizona passed the so-called “Stupid Motorist Law,” a nickname given to Section 28-910 of the Arizona Revised Statutes. The section states that anyone who drives through an area temporarily covered by a rise of water level and is barricaded due to flooding is liable for any expenses from an emergency rescue and removal of their vehicle. The law essentially places all financial liability on the person being rescued. The law was rarely enforced, but it made headlines in 2005, according to a Cronkite News report when Cave Creek resident Paul Zalewski was charged in municipal court after driving his Hummer around barriers and into a flooded road.

Back in 2018, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said the agency would not enforce the law out of fear that people who can’t afford the fine wouldn’t call for help. “After that, people refused to call for help because they thought everybody that does something that’s not smart gets arrested. They don’t,” Deputy Kevin Kraayenbrink said in the report. “I don’t know how many times we pull up and people are like, ‘I can’t afford this rescue.’”

Arizona’s Family reached out to MCSO for comment but hasn’t received a response as of publishing.

Public agencies that are responsible for the driver and/or passengers’ rescue(s) can charge up to $2,000 for a single incident. Also, the driver’s insurance can exclude coverage for emergency response. The law was If you want to read the full bill, click here. In any case, if you feel uncomfortable crossing a potentially flooded area, turn around and don’t drown.

I don't know which is more stupid: The stupid motorists or having a law on the books that no one will enforce! ~X(
PP

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by Hydromet » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:17 pm

We have a similar law if you drive on a road that is closed by flooding, and it is enforced if you are caught by police. The fine is currently $238 plus loss of points.The road has to be signposted as closed. There is a heavier fine for removing the signs, which some idiots have been doing. I don't think there is a charge for being rescued though.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:24 am

Fishermen plead guilty to cheating in Ohio tournament

CLEVELAND (AP) - Two men accused of stuffing fish with lead weights and fish fillets in an attempt to win thousands of dollars in an Ohio fishing tournament last fall pleaded guilty Monday to charges including cheating.

The cheating allegations surfaced in September when Lake Erie Walleye Trail tournament Director Jason Fischer became suspicious when the fish turned in by Jacob Runyan, of Broadview Heights, Ohio, and Chase Cominsky, of Hermitage, Pennsylvania, were significantly heavier than typical walleye.

A crowd of people at Gordon Park in Cleveland watched as Fischer cut the walleye open and found weights and walleye fillets stuffed inside.

As part of a plea deal, Runyan and Cominsky pleaded guilty to cheating and unlawful ownership of wild animals and agreed to three-year suspensions of their fishing licenses. Cominsky also agreed to give up his bass boat worth $100,000.

Prosecutors agreed to drop attempted grand theft and possessing criminal tools charges.

Both men are scheduled to be sentenced May 11. Prosecutors plan to recommend a sentence of six months' probation and later ask for an expungement of their convictions if they successfully complete their probation, said James Gallagher, an assistant Cuyahoga County prosecutor.

The plea is Cominsky's first step toward moving on with his life and taking full responsibility, said his attorney, Kevin Spellacy. A message seeking comment was left with Runyan's attorney.

According to search warrant affidavits, five walleye contained lead weights and fillets. Officers from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources confiscated the fish as evidence.

They would have received a little over $28,000 in prizes for winning the tournament.

Court records also said that Runyan and Cominsky were investigated near Toledo in the spring of 2022 after being accused of cheating in a different walleye tournament. According to a police report, a prosecutor concluded that although the men may have cheated, there was not enough evidence to charge them.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:04 pm

Parody hitman website nabs Air National Guardsman after he allegedly applied for murder-for-hire jobs
Josiah Ernesto Garcia eventually agreed to kill someone for $5,000 while in conversation with an undercover FBI agent, authorities said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pa ... -rcna79927

An Air National Guardsman was arrested and charged on Thursday after allegedly applying to be a hitman on a parody website, officials say.

Josiah Ernesto Garcia, 21, came across www.rentahitman.com while searching for contract mercenary jobs to support his family, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office Middle District of Tennessee. The website was created in 2005 and used originally to advertise a cyber security startup, but when it failed, it would receive inquiries for hitman services -- so its administrator converted it to a parody site with false testimonials from individuals who claimed to have used its services, the criminal complaint states.

The Tennessee man applied via the website to get work as a hitman in February, submitting identification documents and a resume, as well as "indicating he was an expert marksman," earning him the nickname "Reaper," and was "employed in the Air National Guard since July 2021," according to the U.S. Attorney's Office.

Garcia continued to follow up on the website for about a month -- submitting even more identifying information including his home address and a headshot -- and eventually agreed to kill someone for $5,000 while in conversation with an undercover FBI agent, according to the criminal complaint.

"On Wednesday, Garcia met the undercover agent at a park in Hendersonville, Tennessee, and was provided with a target packet of a fictional individual, which included photographs and other information about the individual to be killed, and a down payment of $2,500," according to the U.S. Attorney's Office. "After agreeing to the terms of the murder arrangement, Garcia asked the agent if he needed to provide a photograph of the dead body. Garcia was then arrested by FBI agents, who in a subsequent search of his home, recovered an AR style rifle."

Garcia was charged with use of interstate commerce facilities in the commission of murder-for-hire. If found guilty, he could face up to 10 years in prison.

The FBI is continuing to investigate the case.

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by OFSO » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:15 pm

That's pretty cheap. In my time in Germany a hit cost twenty to twenty five thousand Deutschmarks at a certain bar in the Kaiserstrasse in FFaM.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:32 pm

Well, you pay for German quality and reliability - Ermordung durch Technik ;)))

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri May 12, 2023 4:22 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:24 am
Fishermen plead guilty to cheating in Ohio tournament

CLEVELAND (AP) - Two men accused of stuffing fish with lead weights and fish fillets in an attempt to win thousands of dollars in an Ohio fishing tournament last fall pleaded guilty Monday to charges including cheating.

The cheating allegations surfaced in September when Lake Erie Walleye Trail tournament Director Jason Fischer became suspicious when the fish turned in by Jacob Runyan, of Broadview Heights, Ohio, and Chase Cominsky, of Hermitage, Pennsylvania, were significantly heavier than typical walleye.

A crowd of people at Gordon Park in Cleveland watched as Fischer cut the walleye open and found weights and walleye fillets stuffed inside.

As part of a plea deal, Runyan and Cominsky pleaded guilty to cheating and unlawful ownership of wild animals and agreed to three-year suspensions of their fishing licenses. Cominsky also agreed to give up his bass boat worth $100,000.

Prosecutors agreed to drop attempted grand theft and possessing criminal tools charges.

Both men are scheduled to be sentenced May 11. Prosecutors plan to recommend a sentence of six months' probation and later ask for an expungement of their convictions if they successfully complete their probation, said James Gallagher, an assistant Cuyahoga County prosecutor.

The plea is Cominsky's first step toward moving on with his life and taking full responsibility, said his attorney, Kevin Spellacy. A message seeking comment was left with Runyan's attorney.

According to search warrant affidavits, five walleye contained lead weights and fillets. Officers from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources confiscated the fish as evidence.

They would have received a little over $28,000 in prizes for winning the tournament.

Court records also said that Runyan and Cominsky were investigated near Toledo in the spring of 2022 after being accused of cheating in a different walleye tournament. According to a police report, a prosecutor concluded that although the men may have cheated, there was not enough evidence to charge them.

PP

2 fishermen caught cheating at Ohio tournament sentenced to 10-day jail terms and forfeit of $100k boat
The cheating allegations surfaced in September when Jason Fischer, Lake Erie Walleye Trail tournament director, became suspicious of the fish turned in by Jacob Runyanand Chase Cominsky, 36, were significantly heavier than typical walleye.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/2- ... -rcna84141

CLEVELAND — Two men who admitted stuffing fish with lead weights and fish fillets in an attempt to win thousands of dollars in an Ohio fishing tournament last fall were sentenced Thursday to ten-day jail terms and other penalties, including the forfeiture of a boat valued at $100,000.

The cheating allegations surfaced in September when Jason Fischer, Lake Erie Walleye Trail tournament director, became suspicious of the fish turned in by Jacob Runyan, 43, of Ashtabula, Ohio; and Chase Cominsky, 36, of Hermitage, Pennsylvania, were significantly heavier than typical walleye.

A crowd of people at Gordon Park in Cleveland watched as Fischer cut the freshwater fish open, and found weights and walleye fillets stuffed inside.

As part of a plea deal, Runyan and Cominsky pleaded guilty in March to cheating and unlawful ownership of wild animals — and agreed to three-year suspensions of their fishing licenses. Cominsky also agreed to give up his bass boat worth $100,000.

Once the pair complete their county jail terms, they will serve a year and a half on probation and must each pay a $2,500 fine — though half the fine will be waived if they each make a $1,250 donation to a nonprofit organization that promotes fishing with children. If they violate their probation, they could face an additional 30-day county jail sentence.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue May 16, 2023 4:23 pm

A driver in Colorado tried to switch seats with his dog to avoid a DUI arrest, police say

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/16/us/color ... index.html

A driver in Colorado tried to avoid a DUI arrest by swapping seats with his dog after being pulled over, police said.

The man was stopped by police around 11:30 p.m. Saturday for allegedly driving 52 mph in a 30-mph zone, the Springfield Police Department said in a post on Facebook.

“The driver attempted to switch places with his dog who was in the passenger seat, as the SPD officer approached and watched the entire process,” the post said. “The male party then exited the passenger side of the vehicle and claimed he was not driving.”

The man, whom police didn’t name, appeared intoxicated, and when asked by an officer if he’d been drinking, he ran away, the post said.

He was apprehended about 20 yards from the vehicle, police said.

The man was taken to a hospital where he was medically cleared, then booked into the Baca County Jail on charges including driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, speeding and resisting arrest, police said.

The dog was handed over to a friend of the driver while he was in jail, the post said. “The dog does not face any charges and was let go with just a warning.”

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by Boac » Tue May 16, 2023 4:35 pm

I really thought you were going to say the police were hoping for a lead.................

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by llondel » Wed May 17, 2023 4:20 am

Boac wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 4:35 pm
I really thought you were going to say the police were hoping for a lead.................
Well, they did collar the perp.

Archer
Snr FO
Snr FO

#38 Post by Archer » Wed May 17, 2023 1:11 pm

Surely he was barking up the wrong tree.
--
A Little VC10derness - https://www.VC10.net

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by OneHungLow » Wed May 17, 2023 1:56 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 4:23 pm

The dog was handed over to a friend of the driver while he was in jail, the post said. “The dog does not face any charges and was let go with just a warning.”

PP
;)))

Lucky for the dog he wasn't "putting heavy paw" here in the UK, as he would have been sent on a "Speed Awareness Course" at the cost of £90.00 or incurred a fine or even a prison sentence if the speeding was particularly egregious!

Run like a hare and be a hound in the pound!
The observer of fools in military south and north...

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by Boac » Wed May 17, 2023 2:04 pm

I can see this thread going to the dogs.