Electric Cars II - Not Silly!

General Chit Chat
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Electric Cars II - Not Silly!

#801 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:32 pm

Porsche unveils one of the fastest road cars in the world, featuring a 1,000-horsepower ‘launch control’ button

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/11/business ... index.html

Porsche today introduced the most powerful production, or mass-produced, car it has ever made. The electric 1,093-horsepower Taycan Turbo GT, coming to market this summer, has already set two race track speed records for an electric car. It even beat one set by a Tesla Model S by a gigantic 18 seconds.

High horsepower numbers and eye-popping acceleration are more common among electric cars than gasoline-powered ones, especially since EVs can have multiple motors. Performance numbers figures like these serve little practical value, of course. It would be impossible to approach this car’s potential other than at a track and few would have the driving skills to do it.

This is about giving customers the ability to brag about what their car can, theoretically, do. And, for Porsche, it’s about putting aside concerns about whether electric cars, with their heavy batteries and near silent operation, can be exciting as gas-powered as regulatory pressure mounts to sell more EVs.

The Taycan Turbo GT set a world record lap time on Germany’s famous Nürburgring Nordschleife, a twisty, challenging track where automakers frequently test their most competitive sports cars. The Nürburgring requires cars that are not only very fast and accelerate quickly but also corner well. Setting a record there is something sports car manufacturers brag about; Porsche certainly will.

This Turbo GT, a new version of the electric Porsche Taycan, features two motors. Together they can produce more than 1,000 horsepower. This kind of high-horsepower EV experience won’t come cheaply, though. The Porsche will cost around $230,000.

Most of the time, the Porsche Taycan Turbo GT has a maximum power output of 777 horsepower which, by any normal standards, is a lot. However, it has a “launch control” button for maximum acceleration from a stop. When pressed, power output can be increased briefly, reaching a maximum of 1,093 horsepower for a zero to sixty time of as little as 2.1 seconds. .

How powerful is powerful? By contrast, a standard gas-powered Porsche 911 Carrera produces 379 horsepower – and is still definitely fast. A standard Toyota Prius, not especially fast, can put out 196 horsepower.

The new Porsche also has a special “Attack mode” that can be enabled, pushing power up to 937 horsepower but also making the car’s suspension firmer for better cornering. “Attack mode” will only last for ten seconds at a time, though.

These kinds of power levels can’t be maintained long, a Porsche spokesperson said, because the necessary cooling for the motors and batteries, plus just the actual power output itself, would drain the batteries too quickly.

The previous record holder on the Nürburgring Nordschleife was the Tesla Model S Plaid Track Package. (A $2.2 million Rimac Nevera electric supercar, which is not considered a regular production car, was two-tenths of a second faster than the Porsche .) The lap time of the Taycan makes the Turbo GT the fastest four-door car, electric or not, on that track.

Porsche’s EV
Taycan is a Turkish word loosely translated as “spirit of a colt.” The Taycan is usually a four-seat, four-door car and was Porsche’s first fully electric car when it was released in 2019. (The German sports car company was founded 1931 and is today owned by part of Volkswagen Group.)

The Taycan Turbo GT will come in two versions. One, the standard Porsche Taycan Turbo GT, will be fast but reasonably comfortable for street driving. It will have four seats, as most Porsche Taycan models do.

The Porsche Taycan Turbo GT with Weissach Package, though, will dispense with backseats and other comfort items to save weight. Even things like the standard clock in the dashboard are left off. This more aggressive, track-oriented version of the car won’t cost any more though, thanks of the money saved on things like seats and a clock.

Despite the Turbo in the title, neither of these cars has actual turbochargers :-o [-X , of course, since electric cars don’t use turbochargers which push air into internal combustion engines. In this car, the name just denotes that they are powerful – and fast.

Porsche has said that the next generation of its Boxster and Cayman 2-door sports cars will be electric But Porsche executives have said that its iconic 911 sports car will be the last Porsche model to ever go all electric.

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#802 Post by OFSO » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:29 am

I see our government has been warned yet again that if more power stations are not built the UK will experience an increasing number of blackouts. Ho hum.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#803 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:01 am

Nothing they can do.
Long term planning with a privatised industry is impossible.
Indeed, blackouts are just a part of the economic process, where people will thus pay more to keep the lights on, so raising potential profit to the point where a private company will supply the demand.

But governments didn't tell anyone this when they flogged off the utilities, did they?

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#804 Post by probes » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:09 am

OFSO wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:29 am
I see our government has been warned yet again that if more power stations are not built the UK will experience an increasing number of blackouts. Ho hum.
Interesting, isn't it. But the blackout have nothing to do the greener than green EVs, right? ^!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#805 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:22 am

Actually, they don't, yet.
The EV take-up is nowhere near a significant percentage of the problem yet.
Although you are right that it will be a major problem if the government ever achieves its EV targets.

There are two main causes. The first is the mass illegal immigration.
These people all use electricity, even though they don't officially get counted as population.
It's also why the sewage companies are dumping ever more effluent into rivers - the illegals all poop too.
And it has an effect on supermarket pricing.
The UK government stopped talking about these things officially over a decade ago, because the press got hold of it and it thus revealed how many more people were in the country than were officially there.
And they can't start talking about them again for the same reason.

The second problem is basic infrastructure, both retirement of existing facilities as part of the Net Zero insanity, and natural life expiration.
Private companies are not in the business of making electricity.
They are in the business of making money, electricity is - sometimes - a by-product.
This can be seen very easily with Hinkley Point C. It's way behind schedule, and triple the cost, but EDF don't care because they are still making money off the government contracts.
Indeed, they make more money not finishing it than they will if it is ever finished.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#806 Post by probes » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:24 am

Yet!
Precisely.
Plus, the pollution is just shifted 'somewhere else', as even the 'green' options (solar, wind) require equipment (pre-and post-use phase eco-footprint).

Btw, I've noticed I flush some leftover food into toilet (not many, though, I've been taught not to waste food), as I can't decide which 'specification' of waste it should go to. ^! Is that really the objective of sorting waste? Not to speak of the fuel needed to drive back and forth to get it from each residential home.

admin2
Capt
Capt

#807 Post by admin2 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:59 am

Look elsewhere for the 'Rubbish' posts :))

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#808 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:39 am

EV maker Fisker’s stock dives after company reportedly explores bankruptcy

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/13/business ... index.html

Electric vehicle company Fisker’s stock plunged more than 40% in after-hours trading on Wednesday as investor concern about the company’s ability to stay in business intensified.

On Wednesday, the Wall Street Journal, citing people familiar with the matter, reported that Fisker had hired restructuring advisors to work on a potential bankruptcy filing.

Fisker declined to comment on the report, but earlier this month, the EV maker warned that it might not have enough money to survive another year.

In its fourth-quarter earnings report, released in February, the company said there was “substantial doubt about Fisker’s ability to continue as a going concern.”

At the time, Fisker said it was in discussion with an existing investor about possibly putting more money into the company to keep it afloat. The automaker said it would also lay off 15% of its workforce to cut costs.

Fisker, which sells the Ocean electric SUV, has an unusual business model in which it has entirely outsourced the manufacturing of the one model it currently sells. The Ocean is built in Austria by Magna, a company that has also built vehicles for Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Jaguar.

Last year, Magna produced more than 10,193 Fisker SUVs, but fewer than half of those were delivered to customers within the calendar year, the company previously announced. Fisker expects to deliver about 20,000 this year, it added.

Last month, the company was dealt a social media headache when Marques Brownlee, an American YouTuber, madeh a video about Fisker’s Ocean model for his YouTube channel titled, “This is the Worst Car I’ve Ever Reviewed.”

“Do not buy this version of the Fisker Ocean,” reads the video’s description. Brownlee’s video has racked up more than 4.5 million views so far and sent the stock plunging after its release.

Fisker’s stock was trading at 32 cents a share at the close of trading Wednesday, a more than 80% decline since the start of 2024.

Fisker is founder Henrik Fisker’s second car company. His first, Fisker Automotive, produced a plug-in hybrid luxury car called the Fisker Karma. That company went bankrupt in 2013 after Hurricane Sandy wiped out much of its inventory.

PP

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#809 Post by Hydromet » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:27 am

Sorry about the aviation content.
742d352ed93250653639573025f94890.jpg

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#810 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:35 pm

This is one aspect of electrification that IS a good idea.
Flying electric transport is only 13 years away - Japanese maglev bullet trains.
Technology proven, now constructing the first line

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCMaglev

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#811 Post by llondel » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:55 am

There's already a maglev train in Shanghai. Way more fun than taking a taxi from the airport. Once I'd figured that out on my first trip there, I used the maglev and metro network to get to my hotel on subsequent visits. It was cheaper than a taxi, too, and faster.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#812 Post by OFSO » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:39 am

They've been fitting District Line underground trains here with fast-charging batteries on an experimental basis. They are now independent of the third rail supply. First reports are it works well.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#813 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:25 pm

Now that also is a good idea, as is a well made hybrid for town runabout second/hire cars.
As are electric bicycles (I have one).
But in most bits of the western world, a good spec for an electric bike is illegal.
There are lots of perfect applications for battery power...lawn tractors! I hope to convert my lawn tractor to electric power in the next 12 months.

But, oh no, many sensible uses get banned, marginalised, or overwhelmed by the stupid uses.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#814 Post by llondel » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:09 pm

I think the London Underground has had regenerative braking for a long time, way before it became fashionable for cars. A train coming into a station could dump energy back into the power rails. It had limited use originally, but it looks like they've had all sorts of upgrades in the last ten years to make it work better.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#815 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:50 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:25 pm
Now that also is a good idea, as is a well made hybrid for town runabout second/hire cars.
As are electric bicycles (I have one).
But in most bits of the western world, a good spec for an electric bike is illegal.
There are lots of perfect applications for battery power...lawn tractors! I hope to convert my lawn tractor to electric power in the next 12 months.

But, oh no, many sensible uses get banned, marginalised, or overwhelmed by the stupid uses.
Info on your bike please.
I am considering getting one but haven't done extensive research yet.

PP

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#816 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:36 pm

I looked at this for quite a while.
I have the ENGWE EP-2 Pro
There's a comprehensive review here.

They are very popular, and everyone appears to rate it well.

Particular points (all personally tested):
Very strongly built. This makes it heavy.
Very stable. This means the crossbar is high.
Both of these would mean it's better for taller, stronger people.
Folds easily for putting into a vehicle, with no play in the folding mechanism when locked.
Full assist is not mentioned in the West as it's generally illegal, but if you press the buttons (hold throttle button for over 8 seconds)....
Power is 750W. This is also illegal in most Western countries. However, the power isn't stencilled on it anywhere, and the battery is in the crossbar, so most people won't even notice it's an ebike.
Rear parcel carrier is very strong. In Asia, it's advertised as a second seat, and will cope with this well. You can carry heavy loads.
It is a delight to ride, with great handling on the fat tires. I've ridden it on a partially snowy gravel trail at speed, and it copes very well with the continually changing surfaces.
If you want to ping around off road in the desert, it would be great.
Lights are very bright - you can safely go fast at night.
In fact, it is tempting to ride it too fast for the conditions were something unexpected to happen. It has good brakes, but they are still a bike's brakes, not a car's.
The brakes are a little noisy. Some people upgrade, but I have almost zero traffic where I ride, so I don't use them much and so don't need that.
No mirror - get one, about $20.
You will want a better seat if doing significant distances.
I got a YLG oversized comfort seat, about $40.
It's a much better ride when not pedalling, but also fine for doing so.
Other than that it works great out of the box. Mine came assembled.
The controller has a lot of programming options. The manual is (unusually for Chinese stuff) accurate, but there are Youtube guides also.
One feature is that the power levels actually give set upper speeds. I have set power level four out of five to give 32kph/20mph, which is my local maximum speed for ebikes.
You will need to do a little test piloting to work out what power percentage actually gives particular speeds with you on board. If you decide to get one, PM-me and I'll go check what I set.
The top speed is about 44kph/27mph (same as the guy in the video) on the level. I would not want to go faster anyway because of the brakes, but it is perfectly stable at this speed.

As a child, I used to use my mom's 20" wheel shopper bike for extensive off road riding, before mountain biking was invented. This ebike has basically the same geometry, so I am very used to it.
It may take you a while to get used to it.
It is very pleasant to pedal also. You can do so as much or little as you like, for the exercise, and the controller fills in the rest smoothly to keep you at the selected speed.
The effect is simply to extend battery endurance.
I ride it like a stickshift car. I change smoothly down to power level one for a stop sign, then switch back up as I pull away.
Charging is dead easy. Battery holds the charge well when not being used, and has fine endurance for my needs. In fact, I'm tempted to take it on some very long treks.

Your biggest problem will be the risk of someone stealing it, they are so good!

This may well fill the role of the ubiquitous Honda C90 in the ebike era.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#817 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:48 pm

Thanks Fox3. ^:)^
Their website list motor as 960W(Peak) 50+miles. :-?

https://engwe-bikes.com/products/engwe- ... e#cc-popup

I will definitely give this one consideration. :-bd
After further look on their site I might splurge on the ENGWE X26 1200W peak,1000W sustained. :D
$1,499.00

PP

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#818 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:01 pm

I think the max continuous power is 750W.
You can set the controller for higher, and indeed mine was (don't know if this was the factory setting or the assembler/tester).
I reprogrammed for 750W max as motor longevity is important to me, and I don't have to battle with cars in cities.
I do not think you need more than 750W, unless you have long, top speed distances to travel, or need it away from the traffic lights in cities.
I would be cautious about higher speeds than 27mph, due to the bike brakes.

Range.
I usually use it for a 22km ride. With gentle pedal-assist for the exercise, at mostly 40kph, this only uses half-charge or less.
If one stuck to 32kph/20mph, with moderate pedal-assist, then I think 50 mile range is quite possible. I haven't tested it yet.
It will do all 22 km at top speed on one charge (with a suitable 'diversion fuel' ;))) ) with no assist.

I've checked the manual pedalling. Obviously there's a bit more drag from the engine and the fat tires compared to a racing bicycle, but it's fine.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#819 Post by llondel » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:20 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:36 pm
The top speed is about 44kph/27mph (same as the guy in the video) on the level. I would not want to go faster anyway because of the brakes, but it is perfectly stable at this speed.
I managed to exceed a 40mph speed limit on my bike some years ago. down the hill into the Stroud Valley on the A419. Perfectly stable but yes, I did allow plenty of slowing distance before the sharp right-hand bend over the bridge. The bigger wheels probably provide more stability with the gyroscopic effects than the small ones generally found on an e-bike.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#820 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:34 pm

Yes on the stability, which is why I emphasised my high familiarity with the Engwe geometry.
And you clearly understand the bike brake problem.

The Engwe will do over 27mph if you are at top speed on the level then start going downhill.
In fact it can overspeed at any power level if this happens.
The controller backs off the electric power to zero but doesn't do engine braking in this regime.

I have noted on long hills that the controller will not recover back to the full selected power level, if on full assist, when the road becomes level again.
Touching the brakes to drop out of full assist, then resetting the full assist, solves the problem.