Electric Cars II - Not Silly!

General Chit Chat
barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Electric Cars II - Not Silly!

#521 Post by barkingmad » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:01 am

I bought me a new bicycle for Christmas, which now joins the other 3 safely secured in the garage, after abandoning a Boxing Day ride after a brief rear-wheel skid on some ice. I stayed aboard and no damage to either great new bike nor my frail chassis.

But my CO2 emissions were way down, though I ca't say the same for any other type of emission post-sprouts on Christmas Day. :ymsick:

Q. I now have enough pedals available to satisfy an octopus cyclist, so how can I get out of this under-capacity over-supply dilemma? :-\

Nappy You Hear, y'all ! ! ! :YMPARTY:

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#522 Post by 1DC » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:13 am

Some guy on British tv this morning who seemed to be talking for the electric car industry seemed to be trying to say that the big delays trying to charge cars yesterday wasn't the fault of the number of chargers but because the car owners didn't know how to charge their cars properly!

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#523 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:33 am

1DC wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:13 am
Some guy on British tv this morning who seemed to be talking for the electric car industry seemed to be trying to say that the big delays trying to charge cars yesterday wasn't the fault of the number of chargers but because the car owners didn't know how to charge their cars properly!
He should be taken to the nearest Tesla charger and have the charge applied to his knackers! =))
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#524 Post by OFSO » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:55 am

I saw that. He also said that due to production "difficulties" with electric cars, sales would be down next year and possibly in following years, and that this would give installers of public charging stations time to catch up with demand. Interesting logic.
I must say that with free transport available to us and a train station five minutes away, bus station eight minutes away, both on foot, the absence of any sort of POV poses no problems for us in the UK. Unlike Spain, up the mountain, where a car is vital....

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#525 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:19 pm

Whether intentional or not, EV policy amounts to yet another assault by government on rural living.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#526 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:14 pm

My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#527 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:17 pm

OK I know I am going to regret asking this, but how do you pay for these public charging points? :-\
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#528 Post by OFSO » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:43 pm

Just driven home (slightly intox) in an Uber Tesla. Very nice, but no different from an ICE car.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#529 Post by Wodrick » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:50 pm

Never seen one but same as any other vending machine I expect :-h :-h

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#530 Post by Boac » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:10 pm

Mrs ex-A - At present a real cocktail of methods, from apps to accounts to credit/debit cards.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#531 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:11 pm

Mrs Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:17 pm
OK I know I am going to regret asking this, but how do you pay for these public charging points? :-\
Here:
Free ones available at the public libraries and a few supermarket parking lots.
More pay-as-you-charge being installed in supermarket and mall parking lots.
Haven't checked them closely but I think that they require credit/debit card payments as are the newer pakking meters. No more coins.

PP

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#532 Post by Karearea » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:54 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:11 pm
Mrs Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:17 pm
Here:
Free ones available at the public libraries and a few supermarket parking lots.
More pay-as-you-charge being installed in supermarket and mall parking lots.
Haven't checked them closely but I think that they require credit/debit card payments as are the newer pakking meters. No more coins.

PP
So: different to my local petrol station where someone will come out as I drive in, and fill the tank and maybe clean the windscreen, while I have a pleasant chat with the cashier, paying with cash and giving them flowers or choccies at Christmas-time with an exchange of mutual seasonal felicitations...
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#533 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:10 pm

I think that there are one or two states here that do not allow self serve gas.
There might be a few high end stations that offer full service but I can't recall having seen any.

PP

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#534 Post by barkingmad » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:35 pm

Karearea, how fortunate you are to be able to indulge in such old-fashioned courtesy, gallantry and plain generosity!?

"while I have a pleasant chat with the cashier, paying with cash and giving them flowers or choccies at Christmas-time with an exchange of mutual seasonal felicitations..."

There are some societies today where, if the cashier was female, one (male) might be chased away with accusations of sexual harassment, misogeny, abusing one's position as a dominant sexist privileged white male etc etc :ymsick:

Hope you can enjoy such beautiful transactions with a relative stranger and we all look forwards to the day when we can return to normal, if ever...? :-w

This is the sort of crap, has been aired for longer than I can recall, though in the first photo it looks like the 'gentleman' is goosing the 'lady';

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... lrous.html

Though in pic #3, the fragile nymph extreme right of the frame with the green 'wings' adorning her embonpoint might just stay my hand when it comes to chivalry?! =))

As for if the cashier was male, now that's another day seminar at a gender definitions conference!

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#535 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:45 pm

OK I know I am going to regret asking this, but how do you pay for these public charging points?
Our local one is free. Guess I pay for everyone as a rate payer ? ( but I don't get free petrol )

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#536 Post by Hydromet » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:45 am

Our local servo provides driveway service, has a couple of excellent mechanics and has always serviced our cars. Their petrol price is usually lower than the big stations on the main road. Occasionally they're a little higher, as they don't change their price with the cyclic fluctuations.

As for little courtesies such as opening doors for someone, I'll continue to do them until the recipient demonstrates that they aren't a lady or gentleman.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#537 Post by TheGreenAnger » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:49 pm

Hydromet wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:45 am
Our local servo provides driveway service, has a couple of excellent mechanics and has always serviced our cars. Their petrol price is usually lower than the big stations on the main road. Occasionally they're a little higher, as they don't change their price with the cyclic fluctuations.

As for little courtesies such as opening doors for someone, I'll continue to do them until the recipient demonstrates that they aren't a lady or gentleman.
At the risk of veering like an errant Tesla with a blown front left tyre off the highway of thread topic, I too am a believer in old world courtesies, coming from a school where one might have been flogged for not taking one's boater off when addressing, or being addressed by a lady. I still get out of the car and open the door for my better half but must admit that I am still struck with anst when I cede my seat on a train to a pregnant lady lest she is not so much pregnant as simply amply built! :(

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#538 Post by Woody » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:57 am

OFSO seems to be fighting a losing battle, especially if you add on all the other EV companies :ymdevil:
Electric car maker Tesla says it delivered a record 1.3m vehicles last year, 40% more than in 2021.
It comes after the company delivered more than 405,000 vehicles in the last three months of 2022.
However, that figure missed Wall Street forecasts of around 430,000 deliveries for the period.
This year the motor industry is expected to face slowing demand as potential customers worry about rising interest rates and recession concerns.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#539 Post by OFSO » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:12 am

I'm not fighting any battle, Mon Amis. I'm just suggesting that ICE cars are currently more practical and much cheaper to run, where I have my cars, than electric cars. Not mention vastly cheaper to buy and longer lasting. No doubt at all that this will change in the future.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#540 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:54 am

On that topic, here's a couple of quite well balanced articles

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos- ... 022-12-15/
https://www.iea.org/reports/global-ev-o ... ve-summary

Short version: EV sales are expanding, but the situation in the next few years depends a lot on recession risks, charging infrastructure expansion, and mineral supply/cost problems.

OFSO is on the money about the problems. Arguments can be made for mainstream EV success or failure.
My main arguments are against the level of EV subsidies and the banning of ICE vehicles.