General Chit Chat
TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Electric Cars II - Not Silly!

#561 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:47 am

Boac wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:45 am
One survey found that more than 30% of Tesla owners claimed to have above average penises, while only 12% of their partners agreed.
One might say that they represent a pin prick in the overall car market! =))
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#562 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:28 pm

So, Tesla owners are actually admitting to being colossal d!ckheads?

Statistically, of course, one would expect 50% of an average population to have above average of anything, and 50% below average.
Which means if only 30% of Tesla owners...etc.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#563 Post by OFSO » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:52 pm

I hope the penis lengths were measured in mild weather. I hear many things associated with Teslas shrink in sub-zero temperatures.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#564 Post by OFSO » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:59 pm

"This is money" Website, today:

Tesla price cuts:

'Among the number of emails we received from disgruntled Tesla customers, one said his car was fast-tracked for delivery much sooner than he had originally been told, with the Model Y - ordered in September - delivered on 23 December, some two months earlier than he had been told it would be received (February to March).
'The car was delivered much earlier on 23 December 2022 but I was shocked to find it has no parking sensors!
'Tesla claim that this is because they are "transitioning" to a wholly camera based system for parking and driving. They don't have a replacement parking sensor system and the car is very difficult to park safely in car parks.
'I complained to Tesla that I have not been warned that the specification was to change after the order but they said that as it was a company purchase I had no right to reject the car under the Consumer Rights 2015.
'Today's news that the price has dropped by £5,000 is a double whammy as the price of second hand Tesla's have already dropped by up to 25%."

Tesla owners who have received cars in recent weeks are understandably upset by the move and are calling to be compensated or provided with free charging.

One reader told This is Money: 'After being pushed to take delivery in December I am furious about the fact the exact same model and spec I took delivery of on 23 December is now £7,000 cheaper.

Following the news that Tesla has cut prices by up to £9200, another driver said 'this has made me lose all faith in the company after having multiple issues with the car since delivery also.

The price reduction means customers in the UK who received their Teslas last month could have saved in the region of £130million if they had delayed their purchases to January.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#565 Post by barkingmad » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:42 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:47 am
Boac wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:45 am
One survey found that more than 30% of Tesla owners claimed to have above average penises, while only 12% of their partners agreed.
One might say that they represent a pin prick in the overall car market! =))
One might ask if the penis owners' partners had 'fully charged' the tools before attempting to use them I A W the specifications? :p

Meantime owners of Teslas bought relatively recently have another gripe with the company;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64266471

"Tesla has cut the price of some of its most popular electric cars by thousands of pounds in Europe and the US, in a bid to boost customer demand".

I wonder how that cost benefit analysis was formulated in a dodgy marketplace?

Bring back Green Shield stamps with every gallon/litre/cupful of fossil-fuel then save them up for a brand new EV? :))

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#566 Post by llondel » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:40 pm

I'm a bit shocked by the complaint about parking sensors. I've parked cars without such sensors for many years. I hit a post once in my first year of driving, but that's the extent of mishaps in the days when the only sensor was the Mk 1 eyeball. How did some of these people pass their tests, given that there's usually some manoeuvring required.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#567 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:17 pm

Tesla video promoting self-driving was staged, engineer testifies
The video released in October 2016 remains archived on Tesla’s website, and was promoted on Twitter by CEO Elon Musk as evidence the "Tesla drives itself."

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/busine ... -rcna66150

A 2016 video that Tesla used to promote its self-driving technology was staged to show capabilities like stopping at a red light and accelerating at a green light that the system did not have, according to testimony by a senior engineer.

The video, which remains archived on Tesla’s website, was released in October 2016 and promoted on Twitter by Chief Executive Elon Musk as evidence that “Tesla drives itself.”

But the Model X was not driving itself with technology Tesla had deployed, Ashok Elluswamy, director of Autopilot software at Tesla, said in the transcript of a July deposition taken as evidence in a lawsuit against Tesla for a 2018 fatal crash involving a former Apple engineer.

The previously unreported testimony by Elluswamy represents the first time a Tesla employee has confirmed and detailed how the video was produced.

The video carries a tagline saying: “The person in the driver’s seat is only there for legal reasons. He is not doing anything. The car is driving itself.”

Elluswamy said Tesla’s Autopilot team set out to engineer and record a “demonstration of the system’s capabilities” at the request of Musk.

Elluswamy, Musk and Tesla did not respond to a request for comment. However, the company has warned drivers that they must keep their hands on the wheel and maintain control of their vehicles while using Autopilot.

The Tesla technology is designed to assist with steering, braking, speed and lane changes but its features “do not make the vehicle autonomous,” the company says on its website.

To create the video, the Tesla used 3D mapping on a predetermined route from a house in Menlo Park, California, to Tesla’s then-headquarters in Palo Alto, he said.

Drivers intervened to take control in test runs, he said. When trying to show the Model X could park itself with no driver, a test car crashed into a fence in Tesla’s parking lot, he said.

“The intent of the video was not to accurately portray what was available for customers in 2016. It was to portray what was possible to build into the system,” Elluswamy said, according to a transcript of his testimony seen by Reuters.

When Tesla released the video, Musk tweeted, “Tesla drives itself (no human input at all) thru urban streets to highway to streets, then finds a parking spot.”

Tesla faces lawsuits and regulatory scrutiny over its driver assistance systems.

The U.S. Department of Justice began a criminal investigation into Tesla’s claims that its electric vehicles can drive themselves in 2021, after a number of crashes, some of them fatal, involving Autopilot, Reuters has reported.

The New York Times reported in 2021 that Tesla engineers had created the 2016 video to promote Autopilot without disclosing that the route had been mapped in advance or that a car had crashed in trying to complete the shoot, citing anonymous sources.

When asked if the 2016 video showed the performance of the Tesla Autopilot system available in a production car at the time, Elluswamy said, “It does not.”

Elluswamy was deposed in a lawsuit against Tesla over a 2018 crash in Mountain View, California, that killed Apple engineer Walter Huang.

Andrew McDevitt, the lawyer who represents Huang’s wife and who questioned Elluswamy’s in July, told Reuters it was “obviously misleading to feature that video without any disclaimer or asterisk.”

The National Transportation Safety Board concluded in 2020 that Huang’s fatal crash was likely caused by his distraction and the limitations of Autopilot. It said Tesla’s “ineffective monitoring of driver engagement” had contributed to the crash.

Elluswamy said drivers could “fool the system,” making a Tesla system believe that they were paying attention based on feedback from the steering wheel when they were not. But he said he saw no safety issue with Autopilot if drivers were paying attention.

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#568 Post by OFSO » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:33 pm

However, one thing Teslas can do is sell themselves.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#569 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:34 pm

The 20% price cut doesn't hurt sales either.

PP

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#570 Post by Karearea » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:51 am

Do electric cars make a strange whining sound? like a... I don't know what.
There seems to be a car passing here today with that odd sound associated. :-\
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#571 Post by Boac » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:11 am

Sorry about this, but it could not be missed.....
Do electric cars make a strange whining sound?
No, just the drivers......... =))

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#572 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:25 am

Some models (such as the Mitsubishi PHEV) have a 'constant' distinctive whine (certainly when driving through our village) whilst other makes seem to be 'silent'.

I guess it depends on the layout of the drive-train.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#573 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:25 pm

Not an automatic sound to warn pedestrians?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#574 Post by Boac » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:38 pm

Not an automatic sound to warn pedestrians
Lolly stick in the spokes?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#575 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:35 pm

I believe that (most) EVs have a dedicated sound when reversing.

"The AVAS (acoustic vehicle alert system), a type of electric vehicle warning sound system, which makes a sound similar to a traditional engine must sound when the EV is reversing, or travelling at less than 18.6mph (30km/h)."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#576 Post by Woody » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:09 pm

During the recent cold spell there was lots of hysteria about using EV’s and how they’re performance dropped off in the cold, well I’ve just spent a weekend in Norway and there was a considerably higher number of EV’s there than in the UK, how do they cope?
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#577 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:30 pm

Norway is not as cold, on average, as you might think.
The average low in February in Bergen is -0.1. Even in Tromso it's only -5.
It's the effect of the tail end of the Gulf Stream.
You get much colder winters in Northern Sweden and Finland.
You also get much colder temperatures in Continental Europe and central North America.
Bergen's record Low is -16, and I will have -23 Friday. Armstrong, Ontario is currently -38.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#578 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:43 pm

Norway is something of an ideal case for electric cars.
98% of electricity is generated renewably (mostly hydro)
Most freight goes by rail (also electric) so fewer trucks.
Most journeys are short-medium distance.
There's a relatively high number of charging stations per person.
Its winters are not relatively that cold.
None of these tend to apply for continental cold countries.

The difference in range between running at , say -2 (which a big test in Norway showed dropped EV range by 19%) and -22 or -42 where the drop-offs can be -33% or -50%, or more.
There's also the vehicle heating draining the battery. If you get stuck in snow at -5, you'll live. If you get stuck in snow or ice fog at -40, you'll be cold in 3 hours and dead by morning. In an ICE vehicle, the motor will still be running and you'll be toasty.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#579 Post by 1DC » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:00 pm

The sweeteners for owning an electric vehicle in Norway are very good. Very little tax when you buy one.Most main roads are toll roads and electric are exempt.I don't think they pay road tax and electricity for cars is subsidised.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#580 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:10 pm

..and the Government money for that isn't in short supply.
Thanks to the Ukraine war, Norway is now Germany's biggest gas supplier!