Electric Cars II - Not Silly!

General Chit Chat
Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Electric Cars II - Not Silly!

#81 Post by Wodrick » Sun May 29, 2022 6:18 pm

+1, Rarely posts here, too rarely, but when he does it is generally sensible.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#82 Post by G-CPTN » Sun May 29, 2022 6:32 pm

Assuming that home-charging is not possible (especially involving solar panels), and that free top-ups from stays at hotels are not included, what is the worst cost of owning an EV that would apply, and how does that compare (per mile) to a petrol/diesel vehicle?

If a beneficial cost-of-ownership for an EV can be proven, then surely more people would be persuaded to change - myself included.

VP959
Snr FO
Snr FO

#83 Post by VP959 » Sun May 29, 2022 8:38 pm

My car does, very roughly, 4 miles per kWh, my wife's hatchback is a bit better, and does around 5 miles per kWh. In winter, with no solar power, we both charge from the mains overnight, which costs around £0.19 per kWh, so a bit under 5p per mile for me, a bit under 4p per mile for my wife's car.

Using public charging the price is a lot more, and also varies a very great deal, massively more than for the price variation of petrol or diesel. There are relatively slow, on-street charging facilities that cost around £0.35 per kWh, so about 9p per mile for my car. The most expensive rapid chargers cost a great deal more, up to around £0.55 per kWh, so about 14p per mile for my car. The petrol hatchback my wife had until a year or so ago, used to do around 55mpg, so at £1.40 per litre, that works out at around 11.5p per mile.

Not sure if these numbers mean much, as there is such a great deal of variability. In general, very, very few electric car owners rely only on the most expensive rapid chargers, mostly because they are mainly on major routes, and really only intended for fast top ups on route somewhere.

The majority of EV owners either charge at home or just use the most convenient on street or car park charging close to home or work. This isn't yet anywhere as easy as it needs to be, those without off-street parking are the most disadvantaged in terms of access to charging, without a doubt.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#84 Post by OFSO » Sun May 29, 2022 8:58 pm

11p a kilometer for diesel, urban/country roads, as far as I can see, for the Mondeo Estate, Eco model. Best I've ever done on one tankful was 1100 kms. Mostly me alone in car, but some driving carrying two people and very heavy sculptures and some with the trailer with sculptures or in winter, firewood. I'm a gentle driver. After 70k, front tires are maybe at 50%, rears like new. Extremely long service intervals, I take it in every two years regardless.

VP959
Snr FO
Snr FO

#85 Post by VP959 » Sun May 29, 2022 9:17 pm

No service intervals for a Tesla, uses "on condition" servicing, like some aircraft. I get the brakes and tyres checked for free at the local tyre place every year, as there's nothing to service, no engine, no gearbox, only things to look at are the wipers, washer bottle, tyres and brakes. With 434hp on tap and four wheel drive it doesn't exactly struggle to shift anything. I'm not gentle, hard to be when pressing the loud pedal tends to produce screams from whoever is in the passenger seat (although my wife insists on the car being set to "chill mode" when she's in it to tone down the pretty brutal acceleration).

I'm lucky, we have off street parking so pretty much always charge at home, saves having to faff about dealing with garages or public charging. Takes maybe 15 seconds to plug the car in, and around 80% of the time it charges for free. Just done a rough calculation, based on the 80% free charging, 20% paid for charging, and I reckon my car costs around 1p/mile to run, my wife's slightly less than that. No tax to pay on either. Mine's due for it's first MOT in a few months, but given there's no emission stuff and such a simple drive train, there's not a lot to be checked or go wrong.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#86 Post by llondel » Sun May 29, 2022 9:39 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 5:09 pm
We have high, medium and low electrical tarifs during the day, and at weekends and on public holidays, but these apply to all households and could not be modified specifically for owners charging electric cars at home.
Over here we can choose different tariff structures, and there is one aimed at those with EVs, presumably with a low overnight charge but with the expectation that there's a maximum usage per night. I think if your usage is over a certain amount, you can't opt for that tariff.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#87 Post by jimtherev » Sun May 29, 2022 9:59 pm

Aww, don't be mealy-mouthed, VP. Say what you mean, why can't you?

(Seriously, though, wish I could justify trading in my 9-yr-old hybrid for an EV... can't make the figures work at my age and low mileage per annum.)

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#88 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun May 29, 2022 10:12 pm

My local library and preferred grocery store each have two dedicated EV chargers (free) and associated parking spaces.
The grocery store would be a no-brainer but 15-20 minutes max charging time.
The library, on the other hand, has semi-comfy chair and free wifi. I could see myself spending an hour or so there either reading or streaming video.
Another grocery store of the same chain about the same distance away recently installed 4 pay per charge chargers. Don't know the fee structure, and have only seen one car being charged there.
I am passively looking at both the Ford and Rivian full electric trucks, and waiting to see Chevy's truck offering, probably not realistically till next year.

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#89 Post by OFSO » Mon May 30, 2022 5:42 am

We have three-phase supply to the house. Good. What's bad, it's via overhead cables on poles down the street!

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#90 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon May 30, 2022 3:27 pm

Tesla should be worried about this electric luxury car

Lucid Motors won Motor Trend's Car of the Year award with its first ever vehicle, the Lucid Air. CNN's Peter Valdes-Dapena explains why this 1000-horse power electric vehicle should have Tesla scared

Use link for video, unable to imbed.
Try https://www.cnn.com/business and scroll down. Don't know how to make it work.
Sorry

PP

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#91 Post by Wodrick » Mon May 30, 2022 3:33 pm

Don't find a link.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#92 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue May 31, 2022 2:13 am

1.21 Gigawatts :-o

DeLorean’s Alpha5 EV images unveiled for the first time

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/delor ... first-time#

SAN ANTONIO, Texas - The public is getting its first look at the highly-anticipated DeLorean Alpha5 after the company unveiled its all-new EV on its website.

Early access subscribers have the opportunity to see the vehicle before the site goes public around the world.

Images show the vehicle’s specifications described as "revealing sleek lines, classic louvers, and DeLorean's iconic gull-wing doors" according to the company's news release.

Other specifications include a range of 300+ miles, a battery of 100+kWh, and electronically limited top speeds of 155 mph.

"The Alpha5 is a representation of the past 40 years of DeLorean," Troy Beetz, Chief Marketing Officer of DeLorean Motor Company, said. "There was this enormous responsibility to make sure we honored the history of the DeLorean brand, but an even greater responsibility in curating its future...I think we did both with the Alpha5."

John Z. DeLorean was an automotive innovator who began his career at General Motors and is credited by some with creating America’s first "muscle" car, the Pontiac GTO, in the mid-1960s. He left GM in the early 1970s to launch his own company and eventually produced the DMC 12, referred to simply as "the DeLorean," a sleek, angular car with gull-wing doors and an unpainted stainless-steel exterior.

Only about 9,000 of the cars were produced before DeLorean’s company went bankrupt in the early 1980s, but the car’s look and cult following helped land it a role in the "Back To The Future" films. According to the Internet Movie Database, the car was chosen because it would plausibly look like a spacecraft to people in the 1950s flashback scenes.

DeLorean died in New Jersey in 2005 at age 80 after years of court battles that included a highly publicized drug trial in the 1980s in which he was acquitted of conspiring to sell millions of dollars of cocaine.

PP

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#93 Post by G-CPTN » Tue May 31, 2022 5:11 am

What degree of confidence will the public have in DeLorean? - or will the memory of the iconic original tempt customers?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#94 Post by OFSO » Tue May 31, 2022 6:44 am

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#95 Post by OFSO » Tue May 31, 2022 7:25 am

Battery packs are in the roof space. Luckily bus was empty as disembarking through shower of molten flakes would have resulted in injuries.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#96 Post by llondel » Tue May 31, 2022 4:04 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 5:11 am
What degree of confidence will the public have in DeLorean? - or will the memory of the iconic original tempt customers?
Depends on the production quality of the flux capacitors.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#97 Post by OFSO » Tue May 31, 2022 6:22 pm

The original was hand made by Doc. Mass production ones come from China.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#98 Post by OFSO » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:00 am

Taken from 'This is Money" magazine:

However, more expensive models of electric cars take longer to become cost effective — despite the fact they are more efficient.

A Tesla Model 3 costs £42,500, which is £13,510 more expensive than its closest petrol equivalent, a 3-series BMW.

According to Compare the Market, buying a Tesla would save drivers £625 a year on average compared with a petrol vehicle.

So it would take around 21 years to save back the £13,510 premium paid for the electric car.

Don't think I'll be here in 21 years!

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#99 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:28 pm

And I don't think it will last 21 years either.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#100 Post by OFSO » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:47 pm

Nor, as I said, will OFSO....