Electric Cars II - Not Silly!

General Chit Chat
llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Electric Cars II - Not Silly!

#461 Post by llondel » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:49 pm

A Tesla is no match for a train. Possible Darwin award candidate because it appears the driver attempted to beat the train through a crossing. Fairly comprehensively disassembled, looking at the video in the link.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/s ... a/3066286/

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#462 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:59 pm

Do they call all accidents 'Breaking News'?

Was the driver the only one impacted?

Did anyone reach out to her, and if so, did they get hit on the arm?

;)))

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#463 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:52 pm

Obviously, the accident was Tesla's fault.
Elon didn't have the foresight to build train detection and train crossing functionality into his wundercar.
It needs that and much more for the arrogant or ignorant owners who think that their car is capable of full automatic driving.

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#464 Post by llondel » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:27 am

It looks like she ignored the "do not stop on the tracks" warnings and was stationary on the track when the crossing activated. she got out of the car, moved the barrier, then got back in the car just in time to get swiped by the train. Perhaps I should have posted it in the Darwin Awards thread.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#465 Post by OFSO » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:13 pm

According to Google News, all three owners of electric cars who shop at Tesco have said they will no longer shop there after Tesco started charging for charging. Shares in Tesco didn't drop on the news....

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#466 Post by barkingmad » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:37 pm

OFSO wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:13 pm
According to Google News, all three owners of electric cars who shop at Tesco have said they will no longer shop there after Tesco started charging for charging. Shares in Tesco didn't drop on the news....
Oooh dear, methinks there are more pressing and hot problems than the price of Tesco straight/wiggly amps as supplied for motoring use;

https://dailysceptic.org/2022/11/08/dra ... and-fires/

Apparently there have been severe fires in New York apartment buildings due to scooters and e-bikes self combusting whilst charging and some EV owners of cars have been advised not to park their vehicles close to their houses.

And so the bright new emissions-free future happy sunlit uplands recede into the realm of 'technology will solve the problem' whilst the price of second-hand I C E vehicles booms out of control as the 2030 or 2050, or whatever target was signed by whichever UK Primister was in the seat at the time, rapidly approaches.... :)) =))

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#467 Post by barkingmad » Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:14 pm

Ooops, another blow to those who’ve streaked ahead whilst attempting to prevent spaceship Earth being barbecued;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tfall.html

And from that article:-“But it is likely to prove controversial as it will act as a disincentive to motorists thinking of going green, at a time when soaring energy prices are already undermining the financial case for switching to electric.”

Never mind, just make sure you’re carrying a jumbo-sized fire extinguisher, it’ll provide that warm wet feeling of safety whilst being totally useless when the battery goes up in flames.

And when will the road vehicle insurance companies wake up to the fire rate per thousand EVs as opposed to ICE cars and vans and buses?

The worldwide insurance market is already aware of the hit from life insurance policy claims due to excess deaths arising following the rollout of you know what, that which we dare not mention... :-?

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#468 Post by John Hill » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:21 pm

I have been to the bank to enquire about finance to fund my latest commercial venture!

My service will be for Mr Moneybags et al who wants to drive his family to their holiday spot and still have battery capacity to drive around and explore the delights of their destination.

I will buy heavy trucks and fit them with auxiliary diesel generators and have room for one or two cars to be carried. Fish and chips will be available for those who are sitting in their car(s).

Mobile charging stations! :YMPARTY:
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#469 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:35 pm

I expect building them will use a lot of iron-y

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#470 Post by llondel » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:43 am

John Hill wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:21 pm
I have been to the bank to enquire about finance to fund my latest commercial venture!

My service will be for Mr Moneybags et al who wants to drive his family to their holiday spot and still have battery capacity to drive around and explore the delights of their destination.

I will buy heavy trucks and fit them with auxiliary diesel generators and have room for one or two cars to be carried. Fish and chips will be available for those who are sitting in their car(s).

Mobile charging stations! :YMPARTY:
In the early days of setting up the Tesla charger network, some of their stations were powered by diesel generators. For all I know there might still be some out there.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#471 Post by OFSO » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:41 am

In another change unveiled in the UK Autumn Statement, the exemption for electric cars from the expensive car supplement has also been removed.

It means anyone buying a new car - electric or otherwise - priced at more than £40,000 will face having to pay £165 in tax plus a £355 expensive car supplement every year from the second to sixth year of registration.

B*stards.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#472 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:02 pm

Don't act all surprised.
The day they started all the exemptions it was pointed out that they'd have to end as soon as there were a significant number of electric vehicles.
Indeed, for once, government didn't pretend otherwise.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#473 Post by OFSO » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:45 pm

True, and motoring associations in the UK all agree it's fair. Well, as much as taxation may ever be considered "fair".

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#474 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:54 pm

Whether it's fair or not, I think, depends on what they spend it on, and how efficiently.
Personally, I avoid paying unfair taxes.
That is, I find legal ways to avoid paying it, or to recover the equivalent.
For example, one year the government taxed me $400 for a rule they hadn't told anyone about.
So, next year, I put the effort into finding a way to get $400 back off them, successfully. It amuses me.
Unfortunately for them, that $400 back happens every year. Maybe they'll learn, but I doubt it.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#475 Post by OFSO » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:17 pm

Tesla stock has dropped 52% this year to November 21st.
I can't believe how well Ford is doing, considering their idiotic decision to stop manufacturing passenger cars.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#476 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:54 pm

I can't believe how well Ford is doing, considering their idiotic decision to stop manufacturing passenger cars.
This resource should explain it to you, written by a former car salesman.

https://wolfstreet.com/category/all/car ... s-crashes/

Short version:
Chip shortages meant Ford prioritized high end vehicles, on which they make more profit.
Bigger, longer car loans were taken out to pay for them.
Round here, new truck sales are to construction, fishing, and real estate businesses - they all had a fantastic Covid.

However, it's all about to end in tears. All their buyers' markets are starting to drop rapidly.
Loans are now vastly more expensive.
The dealers' lots are full of newish trucks, and you can't get a four cylinder vehicle for love nor money.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#477 Post by OFSO » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:15 pm

You can walk down any street in either of the two countries we live in, and count the latest models of Fiesta and Focus, two door, hatchback, estate, parked at the roadside. Obviously a success. The logic of ceasing to make them defies common sense.

I wonder how many long-term Ford customers such as myself are thinking we'll go elsewhere for the next car. In my case I already know what I'll buy when that day comes.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#478 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:23 pm

Do tell...

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#479 Post by OFSO » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:40 pm

It will be the small SUV that's outselling everything else in Spain!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#480 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:33 pm

Hyundai Tucson?