Another reason we are a stupid country!

General Chit Chat
EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Another reason we are a stupid country!

#1 Post by EA01 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:17 am

This past week the East coast of Australia has been threatened with power blackouts due to insufficient energy supply....coal and gas, sold off to foreirgn companies that pay no tax in australia, gas going to China at bargain basement prices under the Howard governemnt and also Howards tying the price of petrol to the Singapore standard (Lets not start also with Howards right hand man brokering the 100 year lease deal with a Chinese company for the port of Darwin)

Now we have this!....$25 million to fly an aboringinal flag from the top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge!!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-19/ ... /101165564

I apologise to people for being Australian now....I'm embarrased at how stupid we are!

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Another reason we are a stupid country!

#2 Post by EA01 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:19 am

Apparently the NSW LNP Party think $25million is a small price to pay....they'll probably tell us they are the superior economic managers as well....FFS

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:32 am

You would be hard-pushed to find a country that has less corrupt/stupid government.
They fill jobs with wasters they owe favours to, and skim stuff off the top of every contract.
The problems only show up when the wasters actually have to perform in the job, and the economics shift so fast there's no top to skim off.
Australia just happens to have hit that point first with energy.
You will, however, see a lot more countries hitting that point soon. Canada with healthcare, for example.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:25 pm

Scotland might join your game of Ketchup if oor ain Wee NippySweettie has her way and kicks off her dancing shose.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by OFSO » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:31 pm

What is an aboriginal flag? Have the aboriginals always had one, is it a design accepted by all aboriginals, or something the White Man made up? Phoney, all phoney, and patronising to boot.

VP959
Snr FO
Snr FO

#6 Post by VP959 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:12 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:31 pm
What is an aboriginal flag? Have the aboriginals always had one, is it a design accepted by all aboriginals, or something the White Man made up? Phoney, all phoney, and patronising to boot.
That's exactly what went through my mind! Did the aboriginal peoples of Australia even have the concept of nationality, and symbols of it such as flags, before white settlers arrived? I suspect they didn't, given that they were essentially a stone age people, living primarily a hunter gatherer lifestyle, and a culture that although rich, doesn't seem to have reached the stage where people settle, farm and so might identify with particular territorial areas.

At a more basic level, did the aboriginal people of Australia even have the technology to make cloth?

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:29 pm

How does the big Tesla battery works to stabilize the network in South Australia.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:01 pm

OFSO wrote:

I just know that I'm gonna get kicked for with this one, but what the hay:

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by OFSO » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:17 pm

My mate in Port Macquarie says: $50 to erect the flagpole and the rest for consultants. Hmm... I know another country liked that!

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by John Hill » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:57 pm

VP959 wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:12 pm
OFSO wrote:
That's exactly what went through my mind! Did the aboriginal peoples of Australia even have the concept of nationality, and symbols of it such as flags, before white settlers arrived? I suspect they didn't, given that they were essentially a stone age people, living primarily a hunter gatherer lifestyle, and a culture that although rich, doesn't seem to have reached the stage where people settle, farm and so might identify with particular territorial areas.

At a more basic level, did the aboriginal people of Australia even have the technology to make cloth?
Don't slag the Aboriginals, one can hardly say they deserved what happened to them.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

VP959
Snr FO
Snr FO

#11 Post by VP959 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:19 pm

John Hill wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:57 pm
VP959 wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:12 pm
OFSO wrote:

Don't slag the Aboriginals, one can hardly say they deserved what happened to them.

I'm not in any way, shape or form!

If it's politically incorrect to ask honest questions, that were in no way intended to be derogatory to anyone, then perhaps I need to be cancelled?

The whole cancel culture thing has gone far enough, if it now extends to banning simple, honest, questions about anthropology, even here, then the world truly is going completely mad.

Perhaps you might have a stab at answering my questions, or is that not allowed under the new world order?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:28 pm

Has anyone assessed the developmental state reached by primitive societies before the interference of invading communities?

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by John Hill » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:19 pm

VP959 wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:19 pm
Perhaps you might have a stab at answering my questions, or is that not allowed under the new world order?
I am hardly the source you should consult if you want to learn about Aboriginal people of Australia. However the document to be found at https://openresearch-repository.anu.edu ... 885/114913 may be a good place for you to start.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by John Hill » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:26 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:28 pm
Has anyone assessed the developmental state reached by primitive societies before the interference of invading communities?

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#15 Post by bob2s » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:14 pm

How the hell do they come up with 25 million to hoist a flag to a pole that is already there, the Aboriginal flag has flown alongside the Australian flag previously. Perhaps it is
$24,999,900 for planning and kickbacks and $100 to hoist said flag.
Would be eye-opening for the general public to see a spreadsheet of all allocated costs.
Sometimes I think mob rule would be less costly than having so-called politicians accept senior bureaucrats' words for the cost!

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Hydromet » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:56 am

bob2s wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:14 pm
How the hell do they come up with 25 million to hoist a flag to a pole that is already there, the Aboriginal flag has flown alongside the Australian flag previously. Perhaps it is
$24,999,900 for planning and kickbacks and $100 to hoist said flag.
Would be eye-opening for the general public to see a spreadsheet of all allocated costs.
Sometimes I think mob rule would be less costly than having so-called politicians accept senior bureaucrats' words for the cost!
Meanwhile, people in the northern rivers region whose houses were flooded in 2021 are still waiting for their share of a $2M subsidy to raise the houses.

Gotta get the priorities right.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by EA01 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:19 am

As I said....stupid country....I'm Australian, too long I've listened to nothing but 'the lucky country', it is for the Gina Reinhardts etc., but where is this 'Commonwealth', Howard facilitated the Gas for nothing to China, as he also pegged the price of petrol to the Singapore standard, the Country exports Gas it needs to foreign companies that pay no tax here, whiile we run short....the stupidity is incredible!!

Why we are not Nuclear powered is beyond me, why we pay so much in such a resource rich country beggars belief...

Why do we look to get nuclear powered but not nuclear armed submarines......20 years afrom now!!!

We should have an array of of ICBM slos across the top end, and roving nuclear subs in place now.

And don't even start me on the state of state care of children is less than third world, and untter abomination and a national disgrace..

For those that can access it...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-20/ ... /101094220

Disgraceful

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by John Hill » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:16 pm

EA01 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:19 am
Why do we look to get nuclear powered but not nuclear armed submarines......20 years afrom now!!!
Nuclear armed subs would violate your membership of the NPT.

We should have an array of of ICBM slos across the top end, and roving nuclear subs in place now.
No need for that, your Big Daddy has got you covered.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:41 pm

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#20 Post by bob2s » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:26 pm

^^^^ Never a truer word said in jest. :((