Looking for a new home (=country)

General Chit Chat
boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Looking for a new home (=country)

#1 Post by boing » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:43 pm

All the factors are coming together that suggest we should move on. Our property is too big and requires more time put into maintenance than I am willing to provide. The country is going insane. Our son the airline pilot is living in another State and we do not see him very often but the big factor is that our daughter and her husband are committed to moving full time to Greece, probably Crete.

I have thought about moving on before. If I were on my own I think a little house in a nice Vietnamese beach town would be fine but Milady probably would not go for that so it looks as though we need to be western and probably Mediterranean. Our present latitude is about that of Bordeaux so we would be looking at the same latitude or somewhat South of that. A pretty wide choice from Spain, the South of France and through Italy, Greece and Turkey not forgetting Malta and Cyprus. I have no idea what has happened to these countries since I left Europe so perhaps you folks would be kind enough to make suggestions or provide advice based on more up-to-date knowledge.

Purely based on hearsay it seems Spain is groaning under expats., Malta is super expensive, Northern Italy is full of Italians, the Greeks don't worry much about anything, Cyprus is sinking under tourists and you can't guess which way Turkey is going to go. My uneducated thoughts tend towards the toe of Italy or somewhere quite far from the tourist hotels that seem to populate the whole Mediterranean coast line. We probably don't need to worry about money within reason. Milady thinks good fairly close medical care is important. I would like friendly locals and lowish crime. I would also like to avoid semi-desert. the Peloponnese might work.

Any ideas on the latest situation?

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Looking for a new home (=country)

#2 Post by John Hill » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:09 am

May I suggest Cedeira, Galicia.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Opsboi » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:14 am

Sicily
Valencia
Channel Islands

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:18 am

I picked a new country 16 years ago, and moved 12 years ago.
I think I looked at just about all of them.

I think the top considerations are:

the people think like you do, same values.
climate
language - either you speak it or can learn it easily
access to family and friends
financially secure
decent medical care
Able to avoid government - they are all bad now.

You have mentioned most of these factors already

I had a friend, English, who'd settled in Crete, and was very happy. He was ex-merchant navy, so adaptable and used to sorting things out with only the people around him. That went down well there.
I like the Greeks. Same rugged, practical approach I find in rural Canada. They have high moral values on certain things, with a certain piratical streak about the rest. They also know how to have a good time.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:35 am

Provided you like to live by the sea on islands there are two choices that come to my mind:

The isles of Aegina off the coast of Athens with frequent services to the capital harbour if a medical visit is needed. Also Sporades island complex is an excellent choice.

Obviously Ex-As can tell you what is like to live in the Greek islands.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by OFSO » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:44 am

North East Spain, which is actually Catalunia, is certainly not groaning with expats, with the exception of the tax-dodging French living here illegally. The Germans all sold up when the Finanzamt got permission from the Spanish to examine bank accounts, the British are having troubles with Brexit and curencies, otherwise just a few Swiss and Dutch. I hear it's different down South. House prices are good right now and the UK is about ten hours away on the train if you want to avoid airports. Medical services are first rate with German doctors and dentists, and the two best eye hospitals in the world in Barcelona.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by John Hill » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:47 am

John Hill wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:09 am
May I suggest Cedeira, Galicia.
Very highly recommended! :D
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by unifoxos » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:33 am

Correspondent of mine, retired electronic engineer, lives in Crete and loves it. One would have to get used to the "manana" attitude, and the language isn't the easiest to master (although I did at at the age of 14). His lifestyle sounds pretty great and his biggest gripe seems to be the looney Covid rules.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by OFSO » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:31 pm

See my post in TRAB about the town of Mollo.

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#10 Post by larsssnowpharter » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:30 pm

I never did the Vietnamese beach village thing but opted for a small place on the island of Palawan (the Last Frontier) in the Philippines. I later moved to near Davao on Mindanao.
Lots of great things there. English speakers (well, mostly), friendly people and decent local beer as well as good, cheap, health care. Downside: typhoons, earthquakes, tsunami and volcanoes.

I think language should be a primary factor in your choice. I am fluent in Italian (should be after a total of 10 years there) and would have settled in Puglia in Italy where I still have a place. However, crime can be a problem. Forget northern Italy. The Po Valley can be miserable in winter. Bloody cold with incessant fogs.

As a kid I lived in Malta. Lovely then but now ruined by overdevelopment. They do speak English. We'll, sort of.

Something you might like to consider is the South coast of England. Dorset, Devon or Cornwall. Advantages: the area has lots of retired folk, the health care system in UK is excellent, you will at least understand the legal system (it can be a nightmare in some European countries), they speak a recognisable (sort of) form of English and the climate is quite temperate.

Another place you may wish to consider is SW Ireland. Kerry. Again similar advantages to England and some parts have an almost sub tropical climate thanks to the Gulf Stream.

In the end I settled for Norfolk in England but spend time in Italy and the Philippines.

I do stress, though, that the language thing is very important; you can get very isolated and lonely if you struggle in communicating with the locals.

In any case, I wish you the bestest of good fortune.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by llondel » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:13 pm

larsssnowpharter wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:30 pm
Bloody cold with incessant fogs.
I read that and thought "Just like OFSO in the Catalan region in winter", then I realised there was no 'r'.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:27 pm

llondel wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:13 pm
larsssnowpharter wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:30 pm
Bloody cold with incessant fogs.
I read that and thought "Just like OFSO in the Catalan region in winter", then I realised there was no 'r'.
That took me a minute.

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by OFSO » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:35 am

I realised walking round the town we are in yesterday, that I did not see a single woman wearing a headscarf or hear the French language.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#14 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:08 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:35 am
Provided you like to live by the sea on islands there are two choices that come to my mind:

The isles of Aegina off the coast of Athens with frequent services to the capital harbour if a medical visit is needed. Also Sporades island complex is an excellent choice.

Obviously Ex-As can tell you what is like to live in the Greek islands.
Amorgos is just fantastic. No airport so only serious tourism mid July to end of August. Then it only just doubles the population which is the limit in eco-tourism terms not to change the ethos. Problems: 8 hours by ship from Athens, no hospital and in the winter it is closed. Taverna doors are open but you have to go in and help yourself. January and February are cold and wet. You have to be able to speak the lingo. If you find an island with easy access it is probably spoilt by tourism.

Botswana is also fantastic if you can find a place in the bush. Great climate. Here we are mid winter and it is clear skies and 20 odd degrees. Very cheap to live and employ staff. Problems, again medical services but S.A. is only down the road. Very hot in October but just sit in a pool.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:47 pm

I don't like to spend too much time on a Greek ship to an island hence my preference for island closer to the mainland.

I noticed a piece about Ex-A's favourite Greek island just ignore the text.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#16 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:18 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:47 pm
I don't like to spend too much time on a Greek ship to an island hence my preference for island closer to the mainland.

I noticed a piece about Ex-A's favourite Greek island just ignore the text.
Thanks for that RiS I haven't struggled through the text but will when have some time. All looks very familiar and makes us feel homesick. The food photo is from a restaurant we have been going to for 27 years. The owners have been friends for all that time. We have been to all their family weddings, baptisms and unfortunately funerals and memorial services. Very pleased that the big hotel didn't get a photograph in. They say that they support eco-tourism and have built a monstrosity.

It is not too bad getting there. As you know the ship leaves 17.30. A few beers and a snack on board then to bed in their excellent en-suite cabins. Wake up on the island at about 02.00. 10 mins to the hotel and back to bed.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Opsboi » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:13 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:18 am

It is not too bad getting there. As you know the ship leaves 17.30. A few beers and a snack on board then to bed in their excellent en-suite cabins. Wake up on the island at about 02.00. 10 mins to the hotel and back to bed.
Um...why go to bed in the first place?

Have a few more sherbets and go to bed in the hotel at 02.15

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#18 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:35 am

Opsboi wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:13 pm
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:18 am

Um...why go to bed in the first place?

Have a few more sherbets and go to bed in the hotel at 02.15
We normally go to bed very early anyway so it is no problem. From 23.00 to 02.00 is terrible trying to sleep in chairs. They are comfortable but it is still difficult.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by OFSO » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:03 pm

With all due respect to those who live on a small island*: why would anyone chose to live on an island? Mrs OFSO lived on one of the Channel Islands for twenty years and despite access to boats and small aircraft, says never again.

* Orkneys excepted!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by OFSO » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:44 pm

Another thing anyone considering moving to another country might want to consider is how that country treats foreigners regarding residency. I know of one colleague, nice bloke, good family man, asset to society, who moved to NSW on retirement. Moved his considerable funds there, bought big house, paid all his taxes. Upon his daughter, who lived with him and his wife turning 18 (I think it was) they were all unceremoniously booted out of Australia. Another moved to the USA, green card, whole family there, settled. He died unexpectedly and his wife and children were ordered to leave. As for us British in Spain post-Brexit, the wheels of residency grind exceedingly slow and while they still move we can stay, unless the law changes again, for or against us. Germany is fair but complex. France is fair but tainted as they basically hate the English. Portugal's OK but don't forget to have a stock of brown envelopes handy.