The world's most inhospitable places...

General Chit Chat
TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

The world's most inhospitable places...

#1 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:36 am

Places even more inhospitable even than your own lounge, with your wife, after you spent too long at Kelly's Bar after work, on your wedding anniversary after your forget about the anniversary again! =))

Yes I mean places like the Darién Gap!
The first-ever successful vehicle expedition through the Darién Gap was led by British army officer Gavin Thompson. His team of six started in Alaska, driving all the way to Panama in a newly-created Range Rover. Hitting the Darién Gap, he brought in a team of 64 engineers and scientists to hack their way through the jungle and float the Range Rovers across the rivers. Thompson and every expedition since ran headlong into what The Gap is most famous for: Things that will kill you. The list of deadly things inside The Gap is lengthy, and dehydration and starvation are the least of your concerns. Instead, you should be concerned with these 12 very real threats.
Twelve things that will kill you in the Darién Gap
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

reddo
Capt
Capt
Re: The World's most inhospitable places...

#2 Post by reddo » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:40 am

Still sounds better than Luton.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:52 am

reddo wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:40 am
Still sounds better than Luton.
It is a pretty appalling place. Last time I was in the city centre I parked in one of the main council car parks which was home to a group of homeless people who looked like they had escaped from a Mad Max film.

My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by John Hill » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:07 am

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:52 am
......looked like they had escaped from a Mad Max film.
We had until recently a PL-12 Airtruk in our museum which people often recognised as a 'Mad Max' plane.

Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

Re: The world's most inhospitable places...

#5 Post by unifoxos » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:08 pm

Newark Airport gets my vote.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:40 pm

Middle of an ocean - on it, in it, under it, or over it!

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:50 pm

John Hill wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:07 am
TheGreenAnger wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:52 am
......looked like they had escaped from a Mad Max film.
We had until recently a PL-12 Airtruk in our museum which people often recognised as a 'Mad Max' plane.

The Flying Jalopy is first seen in the opening scene of Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. It glides through the air with its engine off to attack an unsuspecting driver of The Camel Wagon - Max. The plane hits Max with one of its wheels and successfully knocks him off the vehicle. The Flying Jalopy then starts the engine and circles around for another fly-by. The pilots of the plane are Jedediah and his son. Jedediah Jr. takes control of the plane while his father jumps out from the plane onto a driver-less vehicle and steals it.

The second time we see The Flying Jalopy is in the final scenes of the movie. Max and a band of Lost Children find Jedediah and urge him to escape together in his plane. Everyone gets on board, but the plane is too heavy to take off. Max releases baggage strapped to the wings of the plane, but the plane does not take off but stops and turns around right at the edge of a cliff. Max takes off the plane and promises to make way for the plane to take off while driving head-onto Auntie Entity's approaching armada. Max clears the way and The Flying Jalopy takes off. The plane later flies into a dust storm and flies into the ruins of Sydney, where it delivers the Lost Children that start civilization anew.
Sydney civilised? Nah!

Goto 1:59 for the movie scene...

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:07 pm

The most inhospitable place I have visited is the Skeleton Coast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeleton_Coast

skeleton coast.JPG