Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: Odd Presents...

#21 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:59 pm

Karearea wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:38 am
Then there was the pith helmet...
Got one of those. Shall be wearing it on Saturday for independence Day.

Bought some friends half a cow for their wedding present. Don't know if it was front or back or right or left. Anyway that was at least
2 years ago and they still haven't got married.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

VP959
Snr FO
Snr FO

#22 Post by VP959 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:09 pm

Karearea wrote:
Anyone know why they were called pith helmets? My uncle had one, relic from around the time of the Boer war (he was an army chap), I think. I remember looking inside it as a kid and I thought it was made of some sort of compressed sheet cork, with a glued on cloth covering, a bit like the way those old leather crash helmets were made, the ones with a peak and ear flaps.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#23 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:30 pm

VP959 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:09 pm
Karearea wrote:
Anyone know why they were called pith helmets? My uncle had one, relic from around the time of the Boer war (he was an army chap), I think. I remember looking inside it as a kid and I thought it was made of some sort of compressed sheet cork, with a glued on cloth covering, a bit like the way those old leather crash helmets were made, the ones with a peak and ear flaps.
The Pith helmet or Sola Topee was first made in the Indian subcontinent sometime in the 1800s. It got its name from the fact that it was made out of the pith, the soft tissue found inside of the trunk of the Sola tree, a species native to India.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

VP959
Snr FO
Snr FO

#24 Post by VP959 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:35 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:30 pm
The Pith helmet or Sola Topee was first made in the Indian subcontinent sometime in the 1800s. It got its name from the fact that it was made out of the pith, the soft tissue found inside of the trunk of the Sola tree, a species native to India.
Fascinating, thanks. An early form of loft insulation, perhaps . . .

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by TheGreenAnger » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:42 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:30 pm
VP959 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:09 pm
Karearea wrote:
A pithy definition, and as I know you own one, I know you aren't taking the pith!

Damn this lithp! :)
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by llondel » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:58 pm

Just think, if they'd made Star Wars before there plastic for Darth Vader's helmet, he could have been Lord of the Pith.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by TheGreenAnger » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:02 pm

llondel wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:58 pm
Just think, if they'd made Star Wars before there plastic for Darth Vader's helmet, he could have been Lord of the Pith.
=)) ^:)^
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

VP959
Snr FO
Snr FO

#28 Post by VP959 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:16 pm

Not sure it counts as a present, but I was presented with it, so perhaps that counts. It was a larger than life size polished cast aluminium penis and testicles, artfully mounted on a varnished wooden base, with an engraved brass plaque listing the names of all those that had been presented with it in earlier years. The title of the ornament was simple, just inscribed "P.O.T.Y. Award" and it was awarded to the individual that had made the most costly error in the preceding year. In my case I had comprehensively destroyed an experimental TFR fitted to a Vulcan, by wiring our instrumentation connector as a mirror image of the way it should have been wired. Much magic smoke escaped and there was a certain amount of consternation expressed by the maintainers, who wasted no time in calling the fire crew.

Sadly I had to pass the ornament on after a year. I presented it to a worthy successor, a Welshman, who was a keen rugby player, and who had comprehensively stuffed up an S259 air transportable radar, by managing to explode the Mekon, whilst working on it with the door safety interlock bypassed with a bit of flex and a couple of croc clips.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by TheGreenAnger » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:32 pm

Funny how sometimes we are celebrated, even presented with an award, as VP959 notes above, for that one mistake we made, when we got so much more right!

Two of my best friends (they still are as it happens) presented me with a heart shaped mirror with the inscription "I love you" when I turned 21. I guess they were trying to say something but I am not self-reflective enough to want to get their point, even now in my dotage! =))

VP959
Snr FO
Snr FO

#30 Post by VP959 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:57 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:32 pm
Funny how sometimes we are celebrated, even presented with an award, as VP959 notes above, for that one mistake we made, when we got so much more right!

Two of my best friends (they still are as it happens) presented me with a heart shaped mirror with the inscription "I love you" when I turned 21. I guess they were trying to say something but I am not self-reflective enough to want to get their point, even now in my dotage! =))
My "punishment", following the damage to the TFR, in addition to being awarded the "Prick of the Year" ornament, was to be sent to Farnborough to do the Flight Test Scientist training course, as my boss needed someone foolhardy enough to sit in the "coal hole" of the trials Vulcan, in order to operate and monitor the instrumentation we'd fitted. My entire career changed direction from that moment onwards, not least because the Farnborough course included getting a PPL, free of charge. I found a love for flying, so volunteered for all the test flying work going, which was easy, as none of my colleagues ever wanted to fly in the aeroplanes they were designing and building experimental kit for.

The task of working as a Flight Test Scientist was so unattractive that they offered a fairly hefty additional pay allowance, way back in 1977, when I first "volunteered", they were paying me £5.40 per hour, or part of hour, flown, as an allowance. Needless to say it didn't take long to work out that a 2 hour and 5 minute sortie was a winner, as that earned three hours flying pay allowance. Consequently, my log book is full of sorties that are five to ten minutes over a whole number of hours. Thankfully every crew I ever flew with, from all three services, was always very accommodating and made sure that our trials flights matched the needs of my flying allowance. Did usually cost me a few beers in the aircrew/scruffs bar afterwards, though.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:24 pm

VP959 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:57 pm
TheGreenAnger wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:32 pm

My "punishment", following the damage to the TFR, in addition to being awarded the "Prick of the Year" ornament, was to be sent to Farnborough to do the Flight Test Scientist training course, as my boss needed someone foolhardy enough to sit in the "coal hole" of the trials Vulcan, in order to operate and monitor the instrumentation we'd fitted. My entire career changed direction from that moment onwards, not least because the Farnborough course included getting a PPL, free of charge. I found a love for flying, so volunteered for all the test flying work going, which was easy, as none of my colleagues ever wanted to fly in the aeroplanes they were designing and building experimental kit for.

The task of working as a Flight Test Scientist was so unattractive that they offered a fairly hefty additional pay allowance, way back in 1977, when I first "volunteered", they were paying me £5.40 per hour, or part of hour, flown, as an allowance. Needless to say it didn't take long to work out that a 2 hour and 5 minute sortie was a winner, as that earned three hours flying pay allowance. Consequently, my log book is full of sorties that are five to ten minutes over a whole number of hours. Thankfully every crew I ever flew with, from all three services, was always very accommodating and made sure that our trials flights matched the needs of my flying allowance. Did usually cost me a few beers in the aircrew/scruffs bar afterwards, though.
What a great life history, changed perhaps by a presentation, if not a present. How many hours did you accumulate in the "coal hole" VP959?

VP959
Snr FO
Snr FO

#32 Post by VP959 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:49 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:24 pm
What a great life history, changed perhaps by a presentation, if not a present. How many hours did you accumulate in the "coal hole" VP959?
Not many. Total Vulcan hours flown is 9 hours 15 mins, all from Scampton, all flights over the moors at low level, trialling a jamming system. My colleagues were on the ground, in a Bedford J4 van, fitted with several different simulacrums of Soviet jammers. My job was to monitor the (analogue, in those days) height channel data from the TFR to the autopilot (such as it was) and try to determine if the jamming signals were stopping the monopulse TFR from keeping the aircraft at its set "hedge hopping" height. Thankfully none of the jamming systems worked. Pretty rough ride, though, as at that time the TFR hadn't been tuned to soften the response. It literally flew the aircraft over every stone wall we flew over, and was exceptionally bumpy, even in fairly smooth air.

Most of my hours were in Nimrods (Mk1 and 2), Seakings (4 to 6) and a much modified Canberra BI6, plus a few dozen other types (Hawk, JP, Harvard, Whirlwind, Wessex, Gazelle, Lynx (2, 3 Superlynx, 5, 6, 7, 9 Wildcat, most of the export variants), my moniker here, Jetstream T2, Andover, C130, VC10, Constellation, Shackleton, and last, but very far from least, Spitfire Mk9), plus several gliders and a fair number of civil types, plus some amphibians.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:51 pm

VP959:

Were you able to do anything beyond your PPL?

PP

VP959
Snr FO
Snr FO

#34 Post by VP959 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:42 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:51 pm
VP959:

Were you able to do anything beyond your PPL?

PP

Not really. Lots of wholly unofficial hours flying a fair few of the aeroplanes that we were doing trials with, during the transit time to and from the ranges or trials areas mostly. Fair bit of flying in later years, all right seat, when I was elevated to "management" and we were were operating two pilot types, so needed someone deemed competent to sit in the right seat, read flip cards, do the donkey work, light the cigars of the of the flying god in the left seat (I jest not). I kept my medical and FT ticket long after I'd finished official FT work, and wangled jobs where I managed to carry on flying, albeit in a less adventurous manner.

By 1999 I had been shifted away from all aircraft work, so revived my PPL, built a Murphy Maverick from a kit, and for the first time in my life became an aircraft owner. I then went to Sun'n'Fun, stopped at Jack Brown's to have a whizz in a Cub on floats and immediately went off to Portugal to get a seaplane/amphibian rating. Then I saw someone flying over our place in a paramotor, so bought one, spent a week in Spain learning how to use my legs as an undercarriage and had loads of fun flying from the field behind our house. No rules, no regs, no licence, just flying in its most basic form.

Age then caught up, my undercarriage was unable to deal with the take off run, so I switched back to light aeroplanes, until I needed to raise some extra cash to build a new house, when the aeroplanes got sold to pay for the new place.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by Pinky the pilot » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:36 am

Total Vulcan hours flown is 9 hours 15 mins, all from Scampton, all flights over the moors at low level,
Ah, "Hedgehoppers Anonymous', eh?

If I remember my Pop history correctly, the 60's group of the abovementioned name were all Vulcan Groundcrew at the time their hit song 'It's Good NewsWeek' came out.

I'm sure that TGA will be forgiven for putting up the appropriate Music Clip. :-bd
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

VP959
Snr FO
Snr FO

#36 Post by VP959 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:19 pm

Hedgehoppers should really be wall hoppers. I swear that aeroplane would climb over sheep if the TFR picked them up. The ride was bloody awful at first, especially in the back where I had sod all view of the outside world. If the TFR detected an obstacle it literally pulled hard back, then hard forward again. They damped it down a bit later so it wasn't quite so abrupt. I remember having an oscilloscope in the back, watching the height channel commands coming from the TFR, and walls, rocks, and the occasional sheep, all showed more or less as square waves, with a vertical climb and descent command profile. I gather the TFR worked pretty well once it had been refined, but at the time we were playing with it it was anything but refined. IIRC, the rig we had was a radar that had been ripped out of the TSR2 when it was scrapped and jury rigged into the Vulcan to enable it to undertake the low level role.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:25 pm

Pinky the pilot wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:36 am
Total Vulcan hours flown is 9 hours 15 mins, all from Scampton, all flights over the moors at low level,
Ah, "Hedgehoppers Anonymous', eh?

If I remember my Pop history correctly, the 60's group of the abovementioned name were all Vulcan Groundcrew at the time their hit song 'It's Good NewsWeek' came out.

I'm sure that TGA will be forgiven for putting up the appropriate Music Clip. :-bd

I wouldn't dare Pinky, the radar directed flack I get for such musicality is very torrid indeed! ;))) =))

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by Pinky the pilot » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:58 am

Admin2; Would you consider allowing TGA to post the appropriate Music video, just in this case....pretty please huh?? :D

Struth... I'd do it myself if I knew how...
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#39 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:09 am

Pinky it is easy. Find it on YouTube and post the link.

admin2
Capt
Capt

#40 Post by admin2 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:47 pm

Pinky - if the video has
any
relevance to the topic ('odd presents') an din particular Vulcan groundcrew, yes, but if it is just another music video, no.