Odd Presents...

General Chit Chat
TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Odd Presents...

#1 Post by TheGreenAnger » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:38 am

What's the oddest present you have bought for, or been bought by, your significant other or friends and the like?

The thread was suggested to me by 'As Long as It's Fun, the Epic Voyages and Extraordinary Times of Lin and Larry Pardey by Herb McCormick. The Pardey's are, or who were, sadly Larry Pardey has passed away and left Lin in their final berth in New Zealand, two well known (in yachting circles) vagabonds of the sea who met young, she moved into his boat within 3 days of meeting him. Apparently she bought him a hammer as a hello present which he used to build the boat they first sailed around the world in.

For my part I bought my better half an angle grinder for her first birthday with me. I am not ashamed to admit that she is a far more adept craftsman (or person or woman or whatever) than me and can do anything from carpentry to brick laying when she sets her ferocious mind to it. Her forte is cabinet making and furniture restoration, which I think comes from her father who did the same sort of thing professionally.

The most controversial present I can remember was the set of matching suitcases bought for my mother for her birthday by my father. In his blundering naivety, he didn't see what this present might imply to a wife outside the context of a holiday! Silly bugger that he was! She didn't leave using the suitcases, nor did she get that holiday from him, until much later, as they fought their way through the rest of their lives together! =))
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Odd Presents...

#2 Post by llondel » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:54 pm

How about a welding kit, a couple of Dremels, a cordless drill, a grinding wheel...

Good job she likes power tools.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by TheGreenAnger » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:59 pm

llondel wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:54 pm
How about a welding kit, a couple of Dremels, a cordless drill, a grinding wheel...

Good job she likes power tools.
She has the Dremels and the cordless drill! =))

For the grinding wheel she has my skull!
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by 1DC » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:58 pm

Mrs 1DC is a quite a fair plasterer.New a woman who asked for a cement mixer for Christmas from her husband, he obliged.
Just ordered some bra extenders on the big river, didn't know there were such things..

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:59 pm

A dustbin ( new and empty ) as a wedding present. The presenter said that we would be getting a few toasters and similar, but what we would really need on moving to our new house for the first time, was a dustbin. Too true ! It also came in handy for transporting all the toasters, and other presents, from the reception. Kept it for many years untll leaving UK for other destinations.

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#6 Post by Smeagol » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:56 pm

At our wedding a good friend gave us a 'Ball & Chain' which consisted of a ball, the float from a toilet cistern, a pair of handcuffs (cut from the sheet metal used for the skin of Concorde) and a thumbs up/down made from the same material all joined together with chain.
The friend and maker of the ball and chain was, at the time an instrument tech working on the Concorde programme. He was (and presumably still is, though we have lost touch) a Saffer!

Still got it somewhere in the house.
We hates Bagginses!

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by Groundgripper » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:31 pm

My mother was not best pleased when her mother-in-law, who, admittedly was getting on a bit in age, turned up at the front door one Christmas Day with a pair of bed sheets recently retrieved from her airing cupboard for her as a present. :-o They were clean, in fact they still had the Watford Steam Laundry label on them, but they failed to impress. I don't think that wrapping them in gift wrap would have helped in any way, either, so it's probably as well that she hadn't.

I seem to remember that the level of frost inside the house that day almost equalled that outside. X(

GG

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Wodrick » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:48 pm

I bought SM a bird table for her birthday once, it was a Rolls Royce of tables slate roof, hardwood an' all.

Not best pleased initially but it grew on her and eventually she really enjoyed feeding the birds and watching through the Kitchen window.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:32 pm

Was scratching my head one year wondering what Xmas present to buy for Mrs 4ma. Watching a cooking programme on the telly, she enthused about one of the celeb chefs using a blowtorch to caramelise sugar on meringues, etc. Ping!!! Prezzy problem solved.

Come Xmas day after she unwrapped the unusually shaped present, the temperature in the house plummeted and for what seemed an eternity, I had to try and explain the many uses a blow torch could be put to in addition to the cooking/baking activities.

Still got it after all these years; it's in the garage and I use it when making lead fishing weights - Mrs 4ma never did use it.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Karearea » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:34 pm

Someone once gave me a combination shoe-horn and back-scratcher.
I am no longer in contact with that person.
"And to think that it's the same dear old Moon..."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:36 pm

Could you simultaneously scratch your back whilst 'horning your shoe'?

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Karearea » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:41 pm

^ I wouldn't know. Revolting-looking thing.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by 1DC » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:25 pm

long handled shoe horns come in handy when you can't put your shoes on without difficulty.From someone who knows and has three or four including one with a back scratcher on the other end!

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:42 am

long handled shoe horns come in handy when you can't put your shoes on without difficulty.
+1 !!

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#15 Post by Groundgripper » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:10 am

+1

GG

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#16 Post by bob2s » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:24 am

+1 bob2s

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:26 pm

I like the idea of the long handled shoe horn that can also stand in as a back scratcher but do worry about the risk of athlete's back!

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by llondel » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:55 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:26 pm
I like the idea of the long handled shoe horn that can also stand in as a back scratcher but do worry about the risk of athlete's back!
Most of us aren't athletic enough to worry about that.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by TheGreenAnger » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:15 pm

llondel wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:55 pm
TheGreenAnger wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:26 pm
Most of us aren't athletic enough to worry about that.
Any man strong enough to lever a pair of shoes onto his feet has the basis of athleticism as far as I am concerned! ;)))

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Karearea » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:38 am

Then there was the pith helmet...