General Chit Chat
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: HM King Charles III

#141 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:46 am

Boac wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:29 pm
I'm confused now as to whether "God did save The Queen, man", but I thought the "C R" birthday tiffie flypast was outstanding.
The whole bash was outstanding. HMK did incredibly well.

I was wondering how they did the 'CR'. Would they draw it on the ground and position the jets over it then tell the pilots to jump in and memorise their positions to other jets?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#142 Post by Boac » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:42 am

It would start that way (plotting) but I doubt the planes would be 'positioned' on the ground. These shapes are fairly easily put together with standard formation positions to start with and then flown with a 'whipper in' calling adjustments. Probably 'with' the formation until steady and set on the final track.

The really challenging bit is any turns with the two shapes and I recall a Cranwell 'shape' flypast when one shape 'flew into' the other shape, quietly 'meshed' and then quietly unmeshed. Memories fade (fortunately!) but it could have been a '94' graduation practice.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#143 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:59 am

Thanks Boac.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#144 Post by barkingmad » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:24 am

Nice work if you can get it;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -year.html

I wonder has he thought about the ultimate end of these wonderful machines when the recycling and/or decommissioning process has to begin?

Then the economics fail to look so great. :-o