General Chit Chat
tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: HM King Charles III

#21 Post by tango15 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:07 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:21 am
T15 this did cross my mind. But I knew Graham very well, So did Mrs Ex-Ascot. I know that you knew him. Not in character. Also he took the blame for the Islay accident and it was not his fault.
Agreed. Not in the character of the Graham we knew, but they say revenge is a dish beast-eaten cold. He told me about what really happened on that flight, and I don't think he ever got over it.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#22 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:20 pm

OK so we both know but I am very surprised about about him opening up about these secret liaisons.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Boac » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:50 pm

Aye - 'regrets' - if only.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by Pinky the pilot » Mon May 01, 2023 2:28 am

A rahter large and sometimes mildly heated debate going on over at TOP about the upcoming Coronation.

Seems that TV viewers will be invited to recite an oath of allegience at some point. Lots of annoyance/outrage/whatever in some posts.

As for the ceremony being telecasted; Here in South Australia it seems that all of the 5 main channels will be showing the entire show! There are of course over 20 other channels available, all run by the 5 main ones but they generally show repeats of shows first shown on the main ones. However, some will of course, be showing the 'Match of the Day,' depending on ones choice of Football codes.

As for me; Whilst I am not a Republican, I'll be reading a good book Saturday night.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Hydromet » Mon May 01, 2023 2:31 am

Pinky the pilot wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 2:28 am
Seems that TV viewers will be invited to recite an oath of allegience at some point. Lots of annoyance/outrage/whatever in some posts.

As for me; Whilst I am not a Republican, I'll be reading a good book Saturday night.
Surely, if it's an invitation, they can accept it or reject it as they please. Why the outrage?

As for the book - likewise.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by Pinky the pilot » Mon May 01, 2023 2:34 am

Surely, if it's an invitation, they can accept it or reject it as they please. Why the outrage?
Exactly. That is what puzzles me also. :-\
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by John Hill » Mon May 01, 2023 9:24 am

Pinky the pilot wrote:

Ummmm, no, I think I will skip that one! I might even do a ceremonial whakapohane instead. :D
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon May 01, 2023 9:36 am

Pinky, do they also have +1 channels so if you miss a bit you can play 'live' catchup.

At least it's near your bed time so that gives you an excuse.

We had a veterans opportunity to bid for seats opposite Buck House. Seats available from 0630 but gates shut at 0900. Event over at 1430.

One daughter and SiL applied but didn't get tickets.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by tango15 » Mon May 01, 2023 9:56 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 9:36 am
Pinky, do they also have +1 channels so if you miss a bit you can play 'live' catchup.

We had a veterans opportunity to bid for seats opposite Buck House. Seats available from 0630 but gates shut at 0900. Event over at 1430.

I trust that, given veterans have first choice and the timings involved, that 'green rooms' have been arranged somewhere nearby?

In response to Pinky's post:
Seems that TV viewers will be invited to recite an oath of allegience at some point. Lots of annoyance/outrage/whatever in some posts. TOP seems to be full of such Selfish of Selhurst or Surly of Surrey characters. One good reason for not bothering with it any more.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by Hydromet » Mon May 01, 2023 10:32 am

John Hill wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 9:24 am
Pinky the pilot wrote:

Ummmm, no, I think I will skip that one! I might even do a ceremonial whakapohane instead. :D
John, IIRC, one of your country women did that for HM the Queen some years ago. At the Sydney Opera House, perhaps. It seems that a number of Maori did the same in NZ.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by barkingmad » Mon May 01, 2023 1:55 pm

I will be out on the road on my bike, weather permitting, sneezing over old folks doing my best to propagate natural immunity whilst my pedalling will help with the Climate Emergency IAW the wishes of His Maj.

This guy seems equally ecstatic over the event, maybe even sceptical gawd forbid;

Meanwhile in another country not far away, which used to have royalty , the peasants’ revolt seems to be getting more assertive!

Where will it all end, bang or whimper? :-?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon May 01, 2023 2:33 pm

John Hill wrote:

Thank Dog for the Google MachineTM! #:-S :))

PP

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by OneHungLow » Mon May 01, 2023 3:37 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 2:33 pm
John Hill wrote:

Thank Dog for the Google MachineTM! #:-S :))

PP
Orchestrated Southern Hemispheric mooning!

Let's hope it never replaces the Haka at international rugby matches with New Zealand! =))
The observer of fools in military south and north...

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by Pinky the pilot » Mon May 01, 2023 3:54 pm

Indeed they do, but I suspect that they won't repeat the whole thing, or even parts of it.

All those TV channels and rarely anything worth watching. ~X(

Ah well, as I once heard it said; "The bigger the sewer, the more &*$# that goes through it!" =))

PS: Just paid that thread on TOP a quick visit; Struth!! It almost appears that no-one approves of any of the 'carry on..'

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon May 01, 2023 6:56 pm

tango15 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 9:56 am
Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 9:36 am

I trust that, given veterans have first choice and the timings involved, that 'green rooms' have been arranged somewhere nearby?

In response to Pinky's post:
Seems that TV viewers will be invited to recite an oath of allegience at some point. Lots of annoyance/outrage/whatever in some posts. TOP seems to be full of such Selfish of Selhurst or Surly of Surrey characters. One good reason for not bothering with it any more.
Tango, indeed they do, and I seem to recall some form of refreshments. However from 9am the compound gate is exit only.

Definite logistics exercise though. Had I considered going I would have reserved my room a 100 yards away and my car park slot in the nearby car park. I would then need to convey cushions, blankets, brolly, cape, sunscreen, food hamper etc.

Rather too much bother. I shall content myself with washing and buffing my car instead and when done walk the dog provided the weather is good.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by ricardian » Mon May 01, 2023 8:56 pm

On 13 Oct 1959 I signed on as a 16 yr old RAF Boy Entrant and swore this oath:
I <ricardian> swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Her Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, and of the Air Officers and Officers set over me. So help me God.
That oath has no expiry date.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by Pinky the pilot » Tue May 02, 2023 4:00 am

I <ricardian> swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Her Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, and of the Air Officers and Officers set over me. So help me God.

That oath has no expiry date.
I suspect that Alison would agree with that.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by EA01 » Tue May 02, 2023 4:20 am

I'll be in a lounge at Sydney Airport, awaiting a flight to HNL, thence on to JFK.

If im quaffing some red brain varnish and it's on the TV I'll probably watch it.....but more in a ''where were you' kinda way when Will takes over. As in I was 6 drinks deep at the lounge in SYD when i watched his fathers coronation... :))

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue May 02, 2023 4:49 am

EA01 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 4:20 am
I'll be in a lounge at Sydney Airport, awaiting a flight to HNL, thence on to JFK.

If im quaffing some red brain varnish and it's on the TV I'll probably watch it.....but more in a ''where were you' kinda way when Will takes over. As in I was 6 drinks deep at the lounge in SYD when i watched his fathers coronation... :))
Unfortunately, quaffing some red brain varnish is not an option thanks to those pesky time zones. [-X
I may have to watch in an unaltered state. :((

PP

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by Hydromet » Tue May 02, 2023 6:54 am

Doubt whether we'll watch it if there's anything better on. I do remember watching his mothers's coronation at a newsreel after the film had been flown to Australia in an RAF jet in record time.

Seen one coronation, seen 'em all.