Link posted in error

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: Subs payments please!

#2 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:49 pm

admin2 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:41 pm
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=7075&p=345737#p345737.
Link doesn't work boss except for your sky Gods.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

VP959
Snr FO
Snr FO

#3 Post by VP959 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:59 pm

I can confirm what @Ex-Ascot has posted. The message I get is this:
Not authorised.jpg

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:05 pm

I have no recollection at any time of agreeing to members having to pay to use Ops Norm. People can contribute IF THEY SO WISH BUT IT IS NOT COMPULSORY.

Significantly reducing the membership is also pretty stupid. I've had three enquiries from old members who have now found themselves kicked off due to not attending regularly. This has never been the case in the seven years I ran the site. If you had an intention to close the site down Boac, I wish you had told me before I transferred it over to you.

ALISON
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

VP959
Snr FO
Snr FO

#5 Post by VP959 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:27 pm

Alisoncc wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:05 pm
I have no recollection at any time of agreeing to members having to pay to use Ops Norm. People can contribute IF THEY SO WISH BUT IT IS NOT COMPULSORY.

Significantly reducing the membership is also pretty stupid. I've had three enquiries from old members who have now found themselves kicked off due to not attending regularly. This has never been the case in the seven years I ran the site. If you had an intention to close the site down Boac, I wish you had told me before I transferred it over to you.

ALISON

Thanks very much for clarifying things, Alison, it is much appreciated. I have absolutely no problem in making a donation, and would hazard a guess that just a dozen or so of us donating a few quid would cover the costs without there needing to be a subscription, as such.

I have some limited experience of this from many years ago, when a site, much like this, started for much the same sort of reasons, and was funded by periodic donations. In that case it turned out that the odd five or ten pound donation chucked into the pot by a few generous souls was more than enough to cover the costs. I seem to remember that the instant the PayPal donation email address was published on that forum enough came in within about an hour to cover the costs for a couple of years or more.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:37 pm

VP959 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:27 pm
Alisoncc wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:05 pm

ALISON
and would hazard a guess that just a dozen or so of us donating a few quid would cover the costs without there needing to be a subscription, as such.
+1

I appreciate that Admin2 has a democratic soul and was looking for a full and equitable solution. I suggest that having shaken the tin again, he sits on his hands, for a couple of days to see if he gets any more silver in the box, and if not he returns to those who are more than prepared to make up the shortfall and let there be no doubt that the outstanding amount will be covered by the cadre here I am sure.

Admin2 and Alison, the site is a source of great enjoyment for many, even if we are as difficult to corral as a basket full of cats! ;))) Let there be no strife in paradise!

Where's my halo? o:-)
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

VP959
Snr FO
Snr FO

#7 Post by VP959 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:45 pm

By the way, I did say some time ago that I'd cough up a donation either by PayPal or by bank transfer (PayPal is slightly simpler). If the PayPal donation email address was published here then we could just chuck some dosh in when needed.

A tip for anyone using PayPal, make sure to select the "gift" option, as otherwise they will charge fees. PayPal are usually pretty good at not charging any fees for donations like this, as long as the person donating remembers to check the "gift" tick box.

AFAIK there is no risk in publishing a PayPal donation email address, mine has been published on another site for many years, and it hasn't caused any issues, spam opr whatever. It is an email address that I reserve for PayPal, though, just to keep things tidy.

admin2
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by admin2 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:54 pm

Alison - 'kicked off' - this was first flagged up almost 2 months ago in a thread in which you contributed. Have you informed this multitude of 'deceased' members that they are fully able to read all the non-member posts on the site? Many of them have not even logged in since 2015 and can of course continue 'viewing freely' as non-members. It was made clear that only those who had not even logged in since 1/1/22 would be removed from 'membership' (they still show on the members' list) It has been frequently observed by members that our original number of claimed members was vastly over-inflated at '269' and did not represent the real state of your forum which has not been healthy for some time. All these aggrieved 'ex-members are free to re-apply. In view of their lack of support for the site I am, quite frankly, surprised they have even noticed. Out of interest I have emailed a further 16 who have not been 'active' (ie posted' since 1/1/22) but have 'looked at' the site to ask if they wish to continue as active members. One has said yes. Again, the other 15 can, of course, continue reading all posts - except members only' posts.

Funding - likewise a long time flagged up, and my decision explained. You even cautioned me yourself against accepting one particular offer for full payment. I am not going to repeat my justification for the decision (for this year, note) which is documented.

I have no intention/wish/desire/aim/motivation to close it down - that is silly. Perhaps not all members know that you have retained full admin access to and control of the site and site hosting since you 'handed over' in February, Alison. If you wish to take it all back let me know.

admin2
Capt
Capt

#9 Post by admin2 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:57 pm

VP - you have told me several times that you would either do Paypal or bank and I have equally asked you several times which you wish. You are now saying PP - thank you.

VP959
Snr FO
Snr FO

#10 Post by VP959 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:23 pm

admin2 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:57 pm
VP - you have told me several times that you would either do Paypal or bank and I have equally asked you several times which you wish. You are now saying PP - thank you.
Just let me know the PayPal email, that's all. It could be in the thread and then anyone could chuck a few quid in as they wished. Without knowing that info I've just been sitting on my hands waiting, as may a few others, perhaps.

admin2
Capt
Capt

#11 Post by admin2 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:25 pm

VP - you need to read up on the thread about funding.

VP959
Snr FO
Snr FO

#12 Post by VP959 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:32 pm

admin2 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:25 pm
VP - you need to read up on the thread about funding.
I keep reading it every day (it is flagged at the top of the page, so hard to miss), to see if the payment details are there yet. Just read it again, twice, and maybe I'm getting senile but for the life of me I can't see either a PayPal address or bank payment details in it: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7052#p345084

FWIW, I'd rather not be listed in any receipts post - when I donate I'd rather it was kept private.

ribrash

#13 Post by ribrash » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:00 pm

I have been a member of many forums over the years an I'm still a member of a few now.Never in that time have I or other forum members been aked to donate as much as a penny. Long may it continue.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:06 pm

ribrash wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:00 pm
I have been a member of many forums over the years an I'm still a member of a few now.Never in that time have I or other forum members been aked to donate as much as a penny. Long may it continue.
The alternative to self-funding is surely to accept advertising - do we really want that? Is 0.82p a day really too much to ask for the enjoyment we get here?
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

admin2
Capt
Capt

#15 Post by admin2 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:11 pm

VP - if you have read it, you will see that:
We are not looking for donations
How details for payment will be given
All subs received will be listed.

In case you missed it

"Those who are happy with the plan, the amount and either wish to use WU, Revolut, Paypal or UK Bank transfer need now to indicate their choice, please, BY PM, and I can send the account details by PM to respond. I think a choice of 4 methods will be sufficient!"

and

"I will be notifying all for whom I have confirmation on how to contribute over the next few days. I will be sending the info in batches to avoid loads of PMs! so I need more of you to indicate how you will pay in before I can send out payment details. "

VP959
Snr FO
Snr FO

#16 Post by VP959 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:16 pm

But where's the PayPal email address?

We've exchanged PMs about this, it's not there, and it's not in that thread either.

I've resorted to PM'ing someone that's already paid by PayPal (according to your list) in order to try and get this simple bit of info. There's zero need for it to be a secret like this, as my experience over many years is that PayPal email addresses cannot be abused to extract money, they only work one way, as a mechanism for making donations. Worst that can happen by making it easier to find here is that you'll get accidentally given money . . .

ribrash

#17 Post by ribrash » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:18 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:06 pm
ribrash wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:00 pm
The alternative to self-funding is surely to accept advertising - do we really want that? Is 0.82p a day really too much to ask for the enjoyment we get here?
I moderate and administer on a forum that has 2500 members,and like this forum not all are active.We do not accept advertising despite companies begging us.No one has had to contribute penny from when I joined in 2003.The site owner has paid continuously without asking for any outside contributions.So I presume the costs must be low.

admin2
Capt
Capt

#18 Post by admin2 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:18 pm

ribrash wrote:I have been a member of many forums over the years an I'm still a member of a few now.Never in that time have I or other forum members been aked to donate as much as a penny. Long may it continue.
In which case you have obviously been content 'over the years' to let others fund your pleasure!

In fact, Alison has asked each year for funding. I assume you missed that?

admin2
Capt
Capt

#19 Post by admin2 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:29 pm

VP wrote:But where's the PayPal email address?
We've exchanged PMs about this, it's not there, and it's not in that thread either.

Nor will it be. Nor will I put the chosen Revolut, Western Union or UK bank details on the thread.

PMs - yes, and in ALL those PMs until TODAY, despite my asking, you have not chosen Paypal as a means of payment! You could have been in the last batch of PMs I sent out with the PP details, 5 of which have returned. What difficulty are you having with "I will be notifying all for whom I have confirmation on how to contribute over the next few days. I will be sending the info in batches to avoid loads of PMs! so I need more of you to indicate how you will pay in before I can send out payment details. "?

At present I have, as you can see, only 2 'candidates' for Paypal and I would like more in order to reduce the PM barrage.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:33 pm

ribrash wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:18 pm
.......The site owner has paid continuously without asking for any outside contributions.So I presume the costs must be low.
admin2 posted:
We have to pay about $300 AUD (invoice for hosting at $240 and waiting until December 15th for the domain renewal, expected at $60 AUD).
So Google tells me that is about £180 on today's exchange rate. Someone has to pay it. Those are the costs whether they are considered low or not. 0.82p a day per contributor and there are arguments against it! Incredible!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org