The Remittance Man

General Chit Chat
John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

The Remittance Man

#1 Post by John Hill » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:53 pm

Prince Andrew should be sent to Australia with a small allowance and maybe a house in Wiluna or other suitable resort town.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The Remittance Man

#2 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:57 pm

The modern equivalent to being sent to govern New South Wales?

Lord Lundy by Hillaire Belloc.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:23 pm

I enjoyed the Hilaire Belloc poem, which I had not read before. :-bd

Over the years of empire the British government were very adept at inflicting folks like Lord Lundy on their overseas dominions.

Royal connections were claimed in the case of George Rex in South Africa and it is said the HM Queen Elizabeth visited the town of Knysna on one of her African tours but it is highly likely that the claimed link to royalty was a myth.
It had often been stated, and was firmly believed by many of his descendants, that George Rex was the son of King George III and Hannah Lightfoot.  They believed that he had been banished to the Cape, granted large tracts of land there, and forbidden to marry, a story with many later embellishments, that gained ground in the 1860s following contact with Mrs Lavinia Ryves the daughter of the imposter and forger Olivia Serres (Princess Olive).

Doubt was cast on this theory by Patricia Storrar in "George Rex: Death of a Legend". The possibility of Rex having royal blood was shown to be improbable by Y-DNA genetic testing. Kit 177978 belonging to a male Rex descendant of the Rex of Knysna, South Africa, falls within the Y-DNA group that originates from Norfolk, England, that disproves connections to royalty
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by John Hill » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:35 pm

There was a Royal lost sheep at Palmerston Island..
PALMERSTON - WHERE THE QUEEN'S PASSING IS PERSONAL
On Palmerston, the death of Her Majesty The Queen will be felt particularly because of the long and special links the tiny remote island has with the British Royal Family. The Queen’s great great grandmother, Queen Victoria granted a licence to founding father, William Marsters on 12 October, 1892 (see photo) which led finally to ownership of the island passing to him and his descendants in perpetuity.
Although the Queen herself never made it to the island, her late husband the Duke of Edinburgh visited on the Royal Yacht Britannia in 1972 and according to the late Yolande Browne, great great granddaugher of William Marsters by his first wife, the Royal visitors were astonished when they saw a photo of the patriarch. She told me "They stood in front of the photo and took three steps back and bowed to the photo and said this is our 'lost sheep'." Lord Mountbatten, who accompanied the Duke, is also supposed to have confided that there was a Marsters in his own family and the Duke is said to have acknowledged a probable connection.
In a 1998 letter from Palmerston, the Rev. Bill Marsters adds a further dimension to the story. Referring to William's mother, Ann Armstrong, he said Lord Mountbatten told him Armstrong was a name which originated with the Royal Family of Scotland. "So according to him", he writes, "Ann Armstrong my ancestor was of Royal blood". Bill did his own research and said he discovered that Ann's ancestors were related to King James VI of Scotland (King James I of England).
When Elizabeth was crowned Queen in 1953, I was told one of William's sons was invited to attend the coronation in London. The son was very old by then, so his son (William's grandson) took the invite. But he forgot to tell the Palace that he was attending instead of his father and was refused entry.
While there’s no word from Palmerston about how the Queen’s death has been received, there’s no doubt the island will be mourning in a similar way to when the Duke of Edinburgh died in April, 2021. All the islanders spent the day indoors as a mark of respect for him and the Royal Family and the Union Flag flew at half-mast.
You can read more about the royal connections at https://www.cookislands.org.uk/William- ... royal.html and about the war of words which led eventually to William and his descendants getting ownership of Palmerston at https://www.cookislands.org.uk/William- ... claim.html

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by John Hill » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:37 pm

Don't forget the Abney-Hastings folk living in Australia, claimants to the throne.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:47 pm

Then there is the theory that Australia may be home to one of the last living Plantagenets , a bloke called Simon, I kid you not!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain%27s_Real_Monarch

Ah, you got in ahead of me there John.

King Simon of Australia (a SImple Man) =))
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Opsboi » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:10 am

John Hill wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:53 pm
Prince Andrew should be sent to Australia with a small allowance and maybe a house in Wiluna or other suitable resort town.
Oh, I was thinking more Parkhurst

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:16 am

Opsboi wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:10 am
John Hill wrote:
The prison or the Johannesburg suburb where I used to live (No. 32, Third Street to be precise)? ;)))

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by John Hill » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:54 am

Opsboi wrote:
John Hill wrote:
I guess you have never been to Wiluna.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:01 am

John Hill wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:54 am
Opsboi wrote:
John Hill wrote:
I guess you have never been to Wiluna.
Certainly looks like the arse end of nowhere. Equivalent to Riemvasmaak in SA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiluna,_Western_Australia
Willuna is home to VMW, a marine weather transmitter operated by the Bureau of Meteorology.
Hmm!

I have a predilection for places like these.

admin2
Capt
Capt

#11 Post by admin2 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:37 am

Volmet stuff moved to viewtopic.php?f=54&t=7565

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:46 pm

Talking of Plantagenets, and not VOLMETs, I see this film has just come out.

The discovery of the remains of King Richard III of England was global news. Now it's been made into a film titled The Lost King.
It made headlines around the world -- the discovery of the remains of the most notorious king of England that ever lived found buried under a car park in the unassuming English city of Leicester. Richard III's skeleton was discovered in 2012 and, following a remarkable tale of sleuthing involving medieval Welsh poetry and DNA testing, was confirmed as Richard's before being interred in a grand ceremony in Leicester Cathedral.

Now the story is being brought to life for the big screen. Due to premiere at the Toronto Film Festival next month, The Lost King tells the story of real-life writer (and Richard III buff) Philippa Langley. Her hunch resulted in a decade-long quest to find Richard's body, identify it, and give it the royal burial it deserved.
https://movieweb.com/the-lost-king-everything-we-know/

Note to self, must watch this.

Not least because it has this wonderful line which sums up ops-normal membership!

"Are you sure you want to join this group, you look quite normal!?" =))

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/a ... -lost-king

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Pinky the pilot » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:58 am

He wouldn't last five minutes, JH. Given that is virtually Public knowlege that he is a PITA; ie an article on Page 4 of the Tuesday October 4th edition of the South Australian Advertiser Newspaper quotes a 'security expert' named Philip Grindell saying "Prince Andrew is a pain in the a--e and if you have ever worked with him, is an unpleasant character...." I suspect that a staffer would end up punching his lights out!

As the poor staffer would probably wind up as a result, incarcerated for a considerable period of time I suspect that the whole situation would best be avoided if Andrew was not permitted anywhere near here!
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.