Keeping one's cool when faced with frigging failing freezer

General Chit Chat
johngreen
FO
FO

Keeping one's cool when faced with frigging failing freezer

#1 Post by johngreen » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:05 am

Just had a few days away and came back to find that in the coldest weather, the fridge freezer that worked perfectly though the hot summer had all but thawed! In the first instance, this did seem to me to be somewhat absurd but a little research indicated that this is a common problem.

I bought this in the spring to replace a machine that I was rather miffed to find had failed after only 6 years but, as I am bound to move very soon, it seemed a better option to spend a bit over £300 quid on a cheapie rather than risk wasting a couple of hundred first to find that the original was not repairable.

It transpires that the reason for the present failure is because low cost units such as this only have one thermostat which is in the fridge section and normally function on the basis that if the fridge needs cooling, so will the freezer. Alas however, if you go away over a few cold days! The fridge has little need of cooling as the inside is at almost the same temperature as the ambient environment. The freezer however, then gets no cooling and warms up to approaching the ambient.

For your elucidation, it seems that the temperature that such equipment will function correctly is identified by a series of letters, one of which should be on the identification plate but the relevance of which I notice, is not much promoted in the sales literature.

climate class min temperature (C) max temperature
N 16 32
SN 10 32
ST 18 38
T 18 43

(N - temperate climate, SN - extended temperate climate, ST - sub tropical, T - Tropical)

The manufacturer advises to run the extortionately expensive heating to keep the freezer freezing - this being mostly required and used of course as an aid to economical living. And if the next summer proves hotter than the last one, it will probably be necessary to install air conditioning.

If the b******s don't get you one way...

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Selling refrigerators to the Eskimos!

#2 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:55 am

Shades of the story about the difference between English and American salesmen.

The Englishman goes to Greenland to sell refrigerators to the locals and reports back to his boss that there is no market there because it is so cold there that the Eskimos don't need refrigerators.

The American goes to Greenland to sell refrigerators to the locals and reports back to his boss that there is a great market there because it is so cold there that the Eskimos need refrigerators to keep the food from freezing!
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Keeping one's cool when faced with frigging failing freezer

#3 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:11 am

For those looking to solve this problem, you have several options:

There are models over here which are now advertised as "garage ready". This means they have thermostats which are designed to operate when the outside environment is cold.
https://www.danby.com/blog/danby-garage-ready-freezers/
It may be possible for a technician to retrofit the better thermostats. The Danby ones appear to be identical to their normal models in every other way.

The second is to build your own temperature control system.

The third is to go for separate fridge and freezers. Each will have their own thermostat then.

And the fourth is to buy the expensive ones.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by OFSO » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:47 am

Never seen a fridge/freezer like that. Ours have seperate thermostats for fridge and freezer, although the Chinese one in the UK requires a degree in graphic arts to set it up.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:17 pm

Bought an Electrolux freezer in 1974 and only changed it in 2010s thinking it would be inefficient. It had always lived in the garage. Its replacemebt lasted 5 years. Its replacement lasted a little longer but we sold it when we moved.

Low running costs are not a saving when you Ave to buy new every few years.