Good or bad ideas!

General Chit Chat
TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Good or bad ideas!

#1 Post by TheGreenAnger » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:43 am

I am of the opinion that one should try and have a least one good idea a day, even if that idea is to sit on one's hands and do nothing (often very good advice to oneself too). Nonetheless I was talking to a flying friend about researching the possibility a humorous book based around an gastronomical odyssey around the UK by light aircraft including reviews, not just of the greasy spoons at the airfields but local decent eateries within +-30 minutes drive of the airfield. This idea is still in genesis but maybe I am walking down a path already well travelled by better people than me, or one that would not be of much interest. What think the sage denizens of this place, is this a worthy idea or one that should be discarded in the bad idea bin?

What good ideas have you had recently?
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Good or bad ideas!

#2 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:15 am

Clearly a null idea, based upon the zero count of posts. A null idea is not necessarily a bad idea. There is simply no data to make a judgement of people's opinions of the idea.
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by G~Man » Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:03 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:15 am
Clearly a null idea, based upon the zero count of posts. A null idea is not necessarily a bad idea. There is simply no data to make a judgement of people's opinions of the idea.
Are you sure such a book has not been written? I know on this side of the pond there are numerous books on the subject... They call it the $100 Hamburger Club.
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:06 pm

G~Man wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:03 pm
TheGreenAnger wrote:
Are you sure such a book has not been written? I know on this side of the pond there are numerous books on the subject... They call it the $100 Hamburger Club.
I am not to be honest.

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by G~Man » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:57 pm

Now....do a similar book on the bars & pubs and I volunteer to come along and take notes for you.....
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:09 pm

G~Man wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:57 pm
Now....do a similar book on the bars & pubs and I volunteer to come along and take notes for you.....
You know, on that very basis consider this a handshake on the commitment to do it on those terms if you so wish. It will be huge fun, we will meet some fantastic people, meet up with old friends, make new ones, probably have some great flying. Maybe take the day or two off occasionally, if not to shake off the morning of the night before as to see this still beautiful country from the ground as well. It has to be done, and we might commit some rotary aviation as well. Who knows, maybe our joy will encourage others to buy the book too and have as much fun. I am happy to go 50/50 on any money that might emerge (or not) from our classic in aviation literature! The money doesn't really matter, life, friends, and the experience and fun does :-bd

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:47 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:09 pm
G~Man wrote:
You know, on that very basis consider this a handshake on the commitment to do it on those terms if you so wish. It will be huge fun, we will meet some fantastic people, meet up with old friends, make new ones, probably have some great flying. Maybe take the day or two off occasionally, if not to shake off the morning of the night before as to see this still beautiful country from the ground as well. It has to be done, and we might commit some rotary aviation as well. Who knows, maybe our joy will encourage others to buy the book too and have as much fun. I am happy to go 50/50 on any money that might emerge (or not) from our classic in aviation literature! The money doesn't really matter, life, friends, and the experience and fun does :-bd
Bonus:
If you happen to "commit rotary aviation" with G~Man it won't be in a Robby!

PP

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:54 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:47 pm
TheGreenAnger wrote:
G~Man wrote:
Bonus:

PP
I am sure we can find some accord in that area. I respect his opinion, experience, professionalism and sheer Dudeneery! ;)))

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#9 Post by G~Man » Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:01 am

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:54 pm
PHXPhlyer wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:47 pm
PP
I am sure we can find some accord in that area. I respect his opinion, experience, professionalism and sheer Dudeneery! ;)))
[/quote]

Well thank you.

PP has is right.... we need to find a Huey in the UK in order to male an entrance......lol or I could ship mine over.....

70234135_10215269170782083_2970720658352242688_o.jpg

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Opsboi » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:29 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote:
The money doesn't really matter, life, friends, and the experience and fun does
You forgot death

On which cheerful, positive note...

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by OFSO » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:00 pm

..... and taxes......

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:26 am

G~Man wrote:
And I will come along and take samples for you :-bd
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Archer
Snr FO
Snr FO

#13 Post by Archer » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:29 pm

G~Man wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:03 pm
TheGreenAnger wrote:
I know about the $100 Hamburger Club, I have seen a, or the, book but have not bought a copy or used it in anger. I'm sure you could do something similar in the UK, whether the title would sell well is probably dependant on how 'current' you can keep it. The processing time between research and publishing a book might lead to it being outdated soon. Setting up a website that you could easily amend might be an interim measure while you gauge interest for the published version.

You could also write it as a travel-story, something like 'The Year I Consumed a Hundred £100 Hamburgers'. If you can provide a bit more story beyond the reviews, it might stay in print and/or relevant a bit longer.

By the way, just visiting a number of flying clubs throughout the UK and gathering their recommendations, combined with the odd spot-check, might be a quicker way to gather information. I know... less fun too but also less damaging on wallet and liver... ;)))
--
A Little VC10derness - https://www.VC10.net

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#14 Post by G~Man » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:51 pm

Prolly wrong place to put this---but it does fall under the heading of "Good or Bad Idea".....lol

Look what just arrived after my "impulse purchase" last month: A working replica cannon: The 10-gauge 'CG' Cannon was developed and built by RBG Cannons for the US Navy, as a replication of the 'Captain Skeeter Gun,' used on Coast Guard cutters for signaling and saluting prior to World War II.

IMG_5800 (1).jpg

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Boac » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:59 pm

Neat! But - did she come with it?

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#16 Post by G~Man » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:06 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:59 pm
Neat! But - did she come with it?
Nah---she is a tad "intense" for my liking..... B-) B-)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:26 pm

Who isn't, to a CLDD Minister? ;)))

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:47 pm

Should be able to be heard above the noise of any of your whirlybirds. :D
Backup for radio failure? :-?
Don't forget hearing protection for the Gnomes! [-X

PP

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:50 pm

One for Ex-A on his floating gin palace for dealing with noisy NRs??

Wonder if we would be allowed to fit one of them to our canal boat. Could make for interesting times along the towpath.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:58 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:50 pm
One for Ex-A on his floating gin palace for dealing with noisy NRs??

Wonder if we would be allowed to fit one of them to our canal boat. Could make for interesting times along the towpath.
The lady in the video specifically said "No projectiles".
I don't think Ex-A could avoid the temptation.
The noise alone probably would not be heard over the "music".

PP