General Chit Chat
OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Holidays - Some from Hell!

#21 Post by OneHungLow » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:19 am

Hydromet wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:57 am
We get those big cruise liners mooring at the Sydney international terminal. They are so large that they block the view of the Opera House to the east and the historical stone warehouse stores to the west, to the poor landlubbers who just want to walk around our harbour.
The windage on a ship like that must be formidable. Come cyclone Butlin, I wouldn't want to be on that tub!
The observer of fools in military south and north...

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by EA01 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:32 am

We're not long back from Nassau (Bahamas), horrid things they seem to be these monstrous cruise ships, I can't imagine being stuck on one with all the people we saw come ashore! Yuk!

When out in the Pacific we plan our trips around the cruise ships always making sure never to be in a port when the cruise ship is.....these cruise people have no idea how lovely some places they go to are as all they ever see is a couple of thousand fellow sailors disgorged from the ship into a town that 'puts on a show' and then they go again...

Not for us we like to experience a place the way it is...

That ship looks like Dubai on the Sea....simply grotesque...

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by OFSO » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:44 am

I was up at Ullapool once when a Russian cruise ship came in. I think the shops (such as they were) sold out of everything in 30 minutes.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by Hydromet » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:45 am

EA01 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:32 am
That ship looks like Dubai on the Sea....simply grotesque...
There's a statement I shall steal for future use.

A few years ago I did a positioning cruise from Seattle to Ketchican on a small boat, 70', 7 pax, 4 crew. Fantastic, as we were able to go into little bays and go ashore where the big liners had to stand off. We arrived in Ketchican before the liners and had plenty of time to wander around without crowds. Then, on the 2nd morning, woke up to three of the monsters moored, and the whole town logjammed by tourists. Happy to fly out the next morning.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by llondel » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:55 am

EA01 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:32 am
When out in the Pacific we plan our trips around the cruise ships always making sure never to be in a port when the cruise ship is.....these cruise people have no idea how lovely some places they go to are as all they ever see is a couple of thousand fellow sailors disgorged from the ship into a town that 'puts on a show' and then they go again...
When we went to Hawaii a few years ago, we stopped off in Kona on our way round Big Island. It was a quiet day, and talking to some of the vendors, they said we timed it well because the place is dire when there's a cruise ship in. Not too complimentary about the behaviour of the cruise ship passengers, while also acknowledging that they were a valuable source of income.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by llondel » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:57 am

Pinky the pilot wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:03 am
Re that monstrosity of a Ship; Vaguely remember reading somewhere that those multi deck Cruise Liners are so top heavy that they have computer controlled thrusters in the hull to keep them upright. Without those thrusters the ship would capsize! :-ss

No idea if that is true. All I do know is that I would never travel on one! [-X
I've always wondered about the stability of some of these vessels. To me they should be a lot wider than they are to remain stable with all that superstructure on top. Either that or there's a hell of a lot of weight below the waterline.

Rossian
Capt
Capt

#27 Post by Rossian » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:33 pm

Where is the marine engineer when you need one - never mind all all the facilities, what do you do with 7960 peoples' ***** every day?

The Ancient Mariner

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by Boac » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:47 pm

Well, Friday's burger is never THAT popular.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by 1DC » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:06 pm

The higher up the accommodation the lighter the materials, steel up to the water line and aluminium and light materials above. The weight of everything is considered above the waterline. Extra ballast goes in the bottom if necessary if the weight is required at the time. I expect a computer will be giving the instructions, as required.
I assume these giant container ships are a variation on the theme, heaviest in the bottom etc..

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#30 Post by Dushan » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:43 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:03 am
Any holiday that obliges one to go through Montreal airport is going to have a taste of Hell.

Which, for my sins, happened to me 11 minutes ago, thanks to a flight change. And the new flight leaves an hour and a half earlier.
On the plus side, the airport's currently fogged in.
There's so many SPECIs that NAV Canada isn't displaying a TAF.
And seating is now separated.
There's bound to be more hassle. I can just sense it.
Fox, thank you for not referring to YUL by its current name [spit, spit]. In the olden days, and to some of us still, it was referred to as Dorval.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by Woody » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:00 am

Do you mean this
Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport
:ymdevil: :ymdevil:
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#32 Post by Groundgripper » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:18 pm

Manchester Airport Terminal 2 last July, .OAT 35C at 09:00. Straight line distance from entry to terminal to Gate 1100ft, actual distansce walked as measured on my phone step counter 5350ft. And that was with the help of a very efficient customs officer who saw my wife was suffering and in danger of collapse annd provided us with a short-cut through three lanes of a queue thta stretched form one end of the terminal to the other.

GG

july

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Woody » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:54 pm

Some interesting opinions here, anyone with further thoughts?

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic ... trict.html

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by OneHungLow » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:02 pm

Woody wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:54 pm
Some interesting opinions here, anyone with further thoughts?

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic ... trict.html
Both are must visit, to stay and see places, but as I slope into my dotage, a light aircraft flight from Pettenberg Bay to Shamwari to chase the giraffes off the landing strip, and then slouch in louche luxury to the bar is my kind of thing....

As for it been for the very rich, I flew in for the day, got stuck there as the weather closed in, and they put me and my better half up, and didn't charge us for the room so as long as I bought dinner... Lovely place. Highly recommended! :-bd

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by Woody » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:41 pm

It’s my plan to retire next year and spend more time in ZA exploring, but on a budget so Shamwari and other high end safari sites are not a likely option.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by tango15 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:09 pm

Holidays - Some from Hell!

Honeymoon November 1968. In those days, you couldn't get a direct flight to the Canaries at that time of the year. We got a couple of ID90 tickets, courtesy of TAP. Flight out, and a day in Lisbon, and then on to the Ten Bel Club in Tenerife, which was offering discounts to airline staff. The place was new and very nice, but the weather was appalling. Eight oktas at 100 feet every day. After a few days of this with no sign of an improvement, we went to the TAP office to see what other options were available. They had a flight to Madeira early the following morning, and they could put us on that. The weather in Madeira was much pleasanter, so we stayed for a week, but the flights to Lisbon were full, so we went to Las Palmas for a couple of days. Las Palmas to Lisbon flights were full as well, so we went to British United, who sometimes made a tech stop in Las Palmas on the way back from Brazil. But not that day. We stood at the airport and watched it go overhead. We heard that there was a Sabena flight the next day and that they had seats, so it was straight to the Sabena office. The next day we checked in and were upgraded to First Class. We were rapidly running out of money and were hoping that the Brussels-Manchester flight would have seats, because otherwise we would have to sleep in the airport. Fortunately, they did and we arrived back in MAN without a penny to our names. Into a taxi to home, where my dear old ma paid the taxi fare. The joys of staff travel, eh?

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by OneHungLow » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:18 pm

tango15 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:09 pm

Honeymoon November 1968. In those days, you couldn't get a direct flight to the Canaries at that time of the year. We got a couple of ID90 tickets, courtesy of TAP. Flight out, and a day in Lisbon, and then on to the Ten Bel Club in Tenerife, which was offering discounts to airline staff. The place was new and very nice, but the weather was appalling. Eight oktas at 100 feet every day. After a few days of this with no sign of an improvement, we went to the TAP office to see what other options were available. They had a flight to Madeira early the following morning, and they could put us on that. The weather in Madeira was much pleasanter, so we stayed for a week, but the flights to Lisbon were full, so we went to Las Palmas for a couple of days. Las Palmas to Lisbon flights were full as well, so we went to British United, who sometimes made a tech stop in Las Palmas on the way back from Brazil. But not that day. We stood at the airport and watched it go overhead. We heard that there was a Sabena flight the next day and that they had seats, so it was straight to the Sabena office. The next day we checked in and were upgraded to First Class. We were rapidly running out of money and were hoping that the Brussels-Manchester flight would have seats, because otherwise we would have to sleep in the airport. Fortunately, they did and we arrived back in MAN without a penny to our names. Into a taxi to home, where my dear old ma paid the taxi fare. The joys of staff travel, eh?
Your first marriage survived? =))

Be as rude as you want to me for that tongue in cheek, but highly, impertinent question. ;)))

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by OneHungLow » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:19 pm

Woody wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:41 pm
It’s my plan to retire next year and spend more time in ZA exploring, but on a budget so Shamwari and other high end safari sites are not a likely option.
I will fly you in just as a big low is about to sock the whole area out. =))

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by tango15 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:23 am

OneHungLow wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:18 pm
tango15 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:09 pm

Your first marriage survived? =))

Be as rude as you want to me for that tongue in cheek, but highly, impertinent question. ;)))
:)) Yes, it survived for 30 years, but totally destroyed (eventually) by her sister who hated me from day one, and spread unfounded rumours about me. Never bothered since... :)

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by Woody » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:02 pm

My staff travel claim is that I’ve been refused boarding in more countries than most people have been to :D