Animals Behaving Badly

General Chit Chat
llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Animals Behaving Badly

#21 Post by llondel » Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:26 am

A few years ago we were at Estes Park in Colorado and called in a dog park there with Faraday and Kepler. There were a bunch of other dogs in the park, right down to a chihuahua. We could see the eagle sitting up on a nearby pylon and we reckon it was eyeing up the chihuahua for lunch, but presumably the presence of the larger dogs dissuaded it from following through on that.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:51 pm

A dog hit the pedal on a golf cart and ran over a 4-year-old, who was uninjured

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/07/us/dog-g ... index.html

A fire crew’s dog jumped on the pedal of a golf cart which then struck a 4-year-old Michigan girl, leaving her with no visible injuries, firefighters said.

Bella, an arson dog, jumped down from the seat of a golf cart and landed on the accelerator pedal, sending the cart toward people attending a Friday night festival, the Westland Fire and Rescue Department said in news release.

Firefighters attempted to gain control of the cart and steer it away from people attending the event. Before they were able to control the vehicle it struck a 4-year-old girl, running over her left leg, the fire department said.

Paramedics assessed the child and found no visible injuries. Her mother refused further treatment and an emergency room visit, according to the news release.

Ten minutes after the accident, the 4-year-old girl resumed eating her popcorn and jumping in a bounce house, the news release said.

Although in this case the child was uninjured, more than 6,500 children across the country are injured by golf carts each year, according to a study conducted by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Over half of these injuries happen to children 12 years and younger.

Bella will be returning to the cart “with extra precautions in place,” according to the fire department.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Trespassing Tortoise or Prospective New Client?

#23 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:05 pm

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by ricardian » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:44 pm

Folk on the island with hens are having problems with otters, often all that is left are a few feathers. Prior to this there were no predators and hens could be left in the open all night.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:54 pm

'Help me, Jesus!': Hawk appears to drop snake on woman before attacking to get it back
Peggy Jones was mowing her lawn on Tuesday when out of nowhere, a snake appeared to plummet from the sky before landing on her arm and wrapping itself around her limb.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ha ... -rcna98946

It turns out snakes don't need a plane to fall from the sky.

In a bewildering series of events, a Texas woman was injured after a hawk appeared to drop a snake on her before swooping down and launching an attack in an attempt to recover its prey.

Peggy Jones was mowing her lawn in Silsbee, about 100 miles northeast of Houston, on Tuesday when out of nowhere, a snake plummeted from the sky before landing on her arm and wrapping itself around her limb, she told Houston-based NBC affiliate KPRC-TV.

As the snake tightened around her arm, a hawk suddenly swooped down from above and started attacking Jones as it tried to pry the serpent away from her.

“The snake was squeezing so hard, and I was waving my arms in the air. And then, this hawk was swooping down clawing at my arm over and over,” Jones, who did not immediately respond to a request for comment from NBC News, told KPRC.

“I just kept saying, ‘Help me, Jesus. Help me, Jesus',” she said.

She said the hawk came at her at least four times before it finally managed to get hold of the snake and fly away.

Photos shared with KPRC appeared to show deep cuts and bruises on Jones' bloodied right forearm following the attack.

Jones said her husband took her to the emergency room after he heard her screaming and ran to her aid.

“I was yelling and screaming. He didn’t know what I was saying. I thought I was bit by a snake,” she said.

No snake bite was found, but Jones said she did find what appeared to be snake venom on her glasses, which were damaged during the incident.

The Silsbee resident said people have told her she must be the unluckiest person alive to have both a snake and hawk attack her at the same time. However, she said: “I feel like the luckiest person alive to have survived this!”

She also said it wasn't her first encounter with a snake — she already survived being bitten by a serpent a few years ago, KPRC reported.

PP

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by Hydromet » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:48 am

Our kookaburras are claimed to be predators on snakes, but until I actually saw one carrying a small snake, about 60cm, I was sceptical. We have a lot of kookies around here, and they mostly seem to just sit in a tree and stare at the ground until they drop and dig something out of the ground.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:31 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:58 pm
Montana otter attack leaves 3 women hurt, including one flown to the hospital
Montana wildlife management officials don’t plan to take any further action. Otters can be protective of themselves and their young.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mo ... -rcna98105

Three women were injured, including one flown by helicopter to a hospital, after an otter attacked them as they floated on a Montana river Wednesday, officials said.

The incident occurred shortly after 8 p.m. on the Jefferson River, when the trio was on inner tubes three miles upstream from the Sappington Bridge, around 10 miles southeast of Caldwell, the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks said.

The women spotted "one or two otters," and one of the otters swam over and attacked them, the department said in a statement.

The otters left after the women got out of the water. One of the women suffered injuries serious enough that a helicopter flew her to a hospital, the wildlife department said.

The woman who was flown to the hospital had severe bites to her face and arms, NBC Montana reported. The other two had superficial wounds, the station reported. The women all are Montana residents.

The wildlife department said it doesn't plan any action against the otter.

"While attacks from otters are rare, otters can be protective of themselves and their young, especially at close distances," the department said in a statement.

The animals usually give birth in April and have their young with them in waterways in the summer, it said in the statement.

The women who were attacked were not identified. Officials urge people to give wildlife space.

Adult Northern river otters weigh around 20 pounds and are around 47 inches long, according to a field guide from Montana's state government. They range in most of the state.

PP
Woman attacked by ‘vicious’ otter: ‘I did not think I was going to make it out of that river’

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/12/us/woman ... index.html

What started as a fun, relaxing evening of inner tubing down the Jefferson River turned into a traumatic experience for Jen Royce and her two friends after they were attacked by an otter.

All three women received treatment for their injuries, some of which were more serious than others.

Royce recounted the incident in a Facebook post where she called the otter “vicious and relentless” as it left her with more stitches than she could count. CNN has received permission from Royce to use the information in the post.

The three women were in the middle of a wide stretch of the river on Wednesday evening when the otter appeared behind one of them and attacked, Royce explained. “I didn’t even get a chance to get the words, ‘There is an otter behind you,’ out of me before it attacked her,” Royce said.

Royce’s face, arms, ears, hands, legs and ankle were all bit by the otter as it attacked for about five minutes. When Royce attempted to kick the otter off her friends, it continued to attack her elsewhere on her body.

Eventually the three women managed to get to shore, in different areas, and the otter swam away.

“Without ANY exaggeration, God’s honest truth, I did not think I was going to make it out of that river,” Royce wrote, “I had no clue if my friends were going to make it out. But by the grace of God we did.”

The otter bit Royce on her face, ears, arms and legs, leaving her with more stitches than she could count

Between the three of them, they had one phone and they were able to call 911 using SOS mode, but it was difficult to locate them as they were in such a remote area of the river, which flows through a portion of southwestern Montana, east of Butte.

“I was covered in blood and it just kept pouring out of my face and nose. It was cold. We were wet. It was dark,” Royce said.

A little less than hour later, Royce says they saw the red and blue lights approaching the area, but it was not close enough to them to make contact. One of the women made the tough decision to leave the other two and run more than two miles to meet the rescue team, Royce said.

At that point, Royce says she was “extremely faint” and didn’t know what was happening. She told her friend that she loved her and to watch over her kids as she didn’t think she would wake up if she closed her eyes.

In an attempt to stay awake, Royce says she focused on the weeds in front of her and counted backwards from 99 to refocus her mind and remain calm.

When rescue teams finally reached them, Royce says she was overcome with emotion. “I cannot explain how seeing those lights felt. I was hopeful again. They found us. THEY FOUND US. We weren’t alone anymore,” she said.

Royce was flown to a local hospital by a helicopter while the other two were treated on scene. They were eventually brought to the hospital later for further treatment. All three women received multiple doses of rabies vaccine and were treated.

Royce was stitched up in multiple areas and underwent surgery on her face and ears. “I am lucky, and I am grateful, and I am alive,” she added.

In an updated post, a week after the incident, Royce wrote she has returned home and her wounds are healing well, with no sign of infection so far.

The Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks has posted signs at various recreational fishing sites advising people of otter activity in the area.

“While attacks from otters are rare, otters can be protective of themselves and their young, especially at close distances,” Montana FWP said. “They give birth to their young in April and can later be seen with their young in the water during the summer. They may also be protective of food resources, especially when those resources are scarce.”

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:31 pm

Airborne fish sparks New Jersey power outage, electricity company says

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/19/us/sayre ... index.html

An incident involving a bird gave new meaning to the term “fish fry” after an electric company suspected an osprey of dropping its meal onto power lines – triggering an outage in a New Jersey neighborhood.

A fish that fell from a bird’s grip landed on a transponder in Sayreville, located just southwest of New York’s Staten Island, according to Jersey Central Power and Light Company spokesperson Chris Hoenig.

“Animal contact is a common cause of power outages; however, fish are not on the list of frequent offenders,” Hoenig told CNN in an email.

The outage on August 12 impacted around 2,100 people and lasted less than two hours.

The Sayreville Police Department poked fun at the incident on Facebook, naming the deceased fish as Gilligan and pointing a finger at an osprey as “the suspect,” which was “last seen flying south,” the post read.

“Please let us not forget the victim in this senseless death,” the police department’s post said. “Gilligan was a hard-working family man. He was a father to thousands of children.”

Anyone with information on the case was asked to contact “Det. John Silver, who handles all of our fish cases,” according to the post.

The electric company offered its sympathies to the osprey for losing its lunch over Sayreville.

“If you’ve ever dropped your ice cream cone at the fair, you know the feeling,” Hoenig said, adding that the company appreciated customers’ patience as power was restored.

The Sayreville area has a large presence of ospreys, which were on the endangered species list in New Jersey until less than a decade ago, according to Hoenig.

“We have a very active osprey and raptor protection program, which includes surveying and monitoring nests and following strict protocols in relocating osprey nests that are located on our equipment or too close to power lines,” he said.

The 2022 New Jersey Osprey Project Survey and Census documented 733 nesting pairs of the birds across the state, according to the Conserve Wildlife Foundation of New Jersey.

PP

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Animals behaving, with added soundtrack

#29 Post by Karearea » Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:42 pm

These always bring me a smile:

Dog Wants a Kitty [1:35]

Cats Playing Patty-cake, what they were saying... [1:46]

Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:05 pm

A 7-year-old boy was attacked by a bear in the backyard of his New York home, police say

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/22/us/new-y ... index.html

A 7-year-old boy was attacked by a bear in the backyard of his Westchester County, New York, home and taken to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries Tuesday morning, police said.

The child was in the yard of the North Castle home when he was attacked around 11:16 a.m., the North Castle Police Department said in a news release. Authorities did not release specifics on the boy’s injuries.

“The parents were right there and assisted the child fearlessly,” North Castle Police Chief Peter Simonsen told CNN affiliate WABC.

Officers responding to a 911 call about the attack arrived to find the bear still in the yard, police said.

The bear “continued to present a danger to first responders and area residents” and was euthanized at the scene, police said.

“Our concern was he did not retreat, so at one point he did advance and when you have that many human beings, I would think that an animal of that kind would normally retreat and it did not,” Simonsen told WABC. “The normal reaction of bears is to run away, especially with heightened activity and noise, they usually retreat.”

The bear was taken to the Westchester County Department of Health to be tested for rabies, according to a spokesperson for the health department.

The bear was described as a male black bear larger than a cub but not yet an adult, WABC reported.

Black bears generally prefer to forage for wild foods away from people and attacks are rare, according to the US Forest Service.

“More often than not, a wild bear will detect you first and flee from the area,” the forest service notes. “However, black bears that have become accustomed to humans and their foods may not run away.”

The agency advises those who encounter black bears to remain calm, continue facing the animal, make lots of noise and slowly back away while keeping children and pets close, among other tips.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:50 pm

3 men rescued after sharks repeatedly attacked their inflatable boat off Australia
The sailors, from Russia and France, were rescued from the sinking catamaran early Wednesday.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/shar ... rcna103567

https://www.rgo.ru/en/article/new-rgs-c ... ter-island

Three sailors were rescued from a sinking inflatable catamaran on Wednesday after it came under repeated attack by sharks that left them stranded more than 500 miles off the Australian coast.

The men, two Russians and one Frenchman, were picked up by rescuers after their emergency beacon sent out a distress call at 1.30 a.m. eastern Australian time (11 a.m. Tuesday ET), the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) said in a statement.

The crew had embarked from the Pacific island nation of Vanuatu on Aug. 28 and were headed to the Australian city of Cairns, on the latest stage of an around-the-world trip.

But several shark attacks left both hulls of their 30-foot boat damaged.

cookiecutter shark, Isistius brasiliensis, found during offshore blackwater dive in Kona Coast, Big Island, Hawaii, USA, Pacific Ocean
A cookiecutter shark.Blue Planet Archive / Alamy Stock Photo
The catamaran had “large sections of its hull missing,” Joe Zeller, a senior manager at AMSA, said in a video statement.

"An emergency beacon absolutely saved their lives," said Zeller, who was on call when the distress signal was received.

A huge Panama-registered vehicle carrier, the 650-foot Dugong Ace, carried out the rescue in the Coral Sea. The unharmed sailors, aged between 28 and 64, are expected to arrive in Brisbane on Thursday.

AMSA did not named the rescued men but the expedition is led by Evgeny Kovalevsky, alongside crew member Stanislav Berezkin, both from Siberia.

The project's website lists Vincent Thomas Etienne as an extra crew member participating in the Tahiti— Australia stage. The boat is a Russian-registered catamaran named “Russian Ocean Way — Tion.”

Russian boat rescue off Australia
Three sailors from a Russian expedition set sail from Vanuatu to Cairns, Australia on Sept. 28, 2023. @russian.ocean.way / Instagram
A spokesperson for the expedition told NBC News via text message that Yulia Kalyuzhnaya, head of the operation, will fly to Australia to meet the sailors and discuss the future of the voyage.

“Now [the] travelers are safe, this is the most important thing. Unfortunately, the catamaran could not be saved. The fate of the expedition will be clear next week,” the spokesperson said.

The trip from Vanuatu to the trio's intended destination of Cairns, Australia, is more than 1,200 miles and AMSA said it would normally take two to three weeks depending on weather conditions.

An Instagram account for the voyage said that the boat was first attacked on Monday by cookie cutter sharks, a small species that grows to around 16 inches and is linked to only a handful of attacks on humans. This caused the boat to partially submerge but it limped on for 100 more miles.

Russian sailing expedition attacked by sharks off Vanuatu
Images released by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority show small vessel Tion being rescued in the Coral Sea on Sept. 6, 2023. AMSA
It was attacked again on Tuesday, when sharks pierced the catamaran's right-side hull, causing the boat to start sinking.

Satellite photos and a video on the AMSA website showed the extent of the damage, with the boat clearly listing and losing buoyancy.

The crew and their belongings were saved but the catamaran was lost.

“There are many reasons vessels are attacked by sharks but the motivations of these sharks is unclear,” Zeller said in a video statement released by AMSA. The trio was “very happy” to be rescued, he said.

Russian sailing expedition attacked by sharks off coast of Vanuatu.
The sailors were rescued by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority in the Coral Sea early Wednesday.@russian.ocean.way / Instagram
Russian sailing expedition attacked by sharks off coast of Vanuatu
The three rescued sailors had been heading from the Pacific Island nation of Vanuatu to Australia's northeast.@russian.ocean.way / Instagram
The boat first set off from St. Petersburg in July 2021, led by Kovalevsky and Berezkin.

The pair said they were emulating pioneering Russian explorers of the 19th century. The voyage was planned to coincide with the 250th anniversary of the birth of Adam Johann von Krusenstern, who led the first Russian round-the-world voyage.

The plan was to visit 40 countries and return to St. Petersburg in July 2024, but the future of the project is now in doubt. The Russian Ministry of Science and Ministry of Education, as well as the state broadcasting company, are listed as "information partners" on the project's website.

AMSA has used the incident to remind sailors to always carry the appropriate safety equipment. "This is a timely reminder to always carry a distress beacon while on the water. GPS-equipped EPIRBs and personal locater beacons (PLBs) can save your life in an emergency," it said in a statement.

PP

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by Hydromet » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:03 pm

With sailors from Ffrance and Russia in the boat, one may perhaps understand why the sharks chewed the inflatable instead.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Karearea » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:04 pm

^
cookiecutter shark
Well that's an... interesting creature new to me :-?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:24 pm

This wasn't the first ship that they lost on this expedition.

"WHAT HAPPENED WAS A SHOCK": HOW THEY TRIED TO SAVE THE TRIMARAN OF THE CIRCUMNAVIGATION OF THE RUSSIAN GEOGRAPHICAL SOCIETY

https://rgo.ru/activity/redaction/news/ ... vetki-rgo/

The Pacific Ocean does not always live up to its name. Sometimes he becomes harsh and cruel, fully demonstrating the stormy temper of the primordial elements. The first attempt to cross the boundless water spaces between the west of America and the east of Eurasia ended in failure for the round-the-world expedition of the Tomsk Regional Branch of the Russian Geographical Society. In a critical situation and severe weather conditions, the crew was forced to leave the trimaran and leave their ship to drift at the behest of the raging waves. What happened on that terrible night of March 16 and how will the circumnavigation of the world continue? The sailors themselves tell about it.

The first week of the journey from the coast of South America to Easter Island was going well. The trimaran covered 300 miles to the archipelago of Juan Fernandez in less than three days. Then two more days went under a strong southerly wind, after which calm came.

- We were told from the mainland that two cyclones were moving from the south. My wife, Lena, helps us with forecasts almost all the time when we are out of mobile coverage. Cyclones brought strong westerly winds that pushed us to the northeast. We waited for two days, drifting in the opposite direction from the direction we needed, then a calm set in, which allowed us to move north on the motor, away from bad weather. But after another 200 miles, bad weather overtook us , - said the captain of the trimaran, Stanislav Beryozkin.

After two days of almost dead calm, a northwest wind blew, which turned into a storm a day later. 12 hours had to resist gusts reaching speeds of 20 m / s, and three-meter chaotic waves.

According to the leader of the expedition, Yevgeny Kovalevsky, already on March 15, after a long struggle with the elements, it became difficult to adjust the rudder and sails. After midnight, it was already clear that the steering was seriously damaged.

- It was broken on my shift, and now it is broken. Not even broken, but torn to shreds. The ocean is harsh and wild. It's bad, but common. Night, darkness. We light flashlights on the forehead. We take out the tools: it is necessary to remove the steering device along with the rudder blade. Stas undresses to a vest and thin pants, because he has to climb aft, find and unscrew bolts and nuts, pull out a very difficult steering box. Yegor and I serve the instruments. We change the steering gear and rudder blade. Long, difficult, dangerous, but real. By 4 in the morning everything seems to be over , - says Evgeny Kovalevsky.

Inspection showed that the breakdown is extremely unpleasant: the transom (stern beam), on which the steering gear is fixed, is damaged. A crack formed in one of the steel "ears".

“ What happened was a shock to us. The trimaran, reconstructed in Buenos Aires, had covered 4,000 miles of sea by that time. The east coast of South America, the Le Mer Strait, the Beagle Channel, the Strait of Magellan - these places are very difficult to navigate, there is a very strong wind and a hard wave. And, except for the tiller extension lost in the Rio Grande (a completely insignificant detail), there were no breakdowns at all. Up to this point , - said Berezkin.

It's a serious matter. It is difficult to predict the consequences of ill-conceived steps. A decision was made to alert the shore headquarters of the problem.

- I'm calling by satellite phone to the coastal headquarters of Yulia Kalyuzhnaya. She's on Easter Island now. We inform you about a possible disaster, ask you to find the Chilean rescue service on the island, so that if something happens, Yulia can promptly report an irreparable breakdown , - explains Kovalevsky.

In the morning, the steering gear begins to buckle, and the crack grows. If you lose control, the ship can drift to the south, into a zone of serious storms. The crew has two weeks of water and food left. And what to do then? Stanislav once again checks the transom, and then the steel "ear" of the mount falls off. There is no more trimaran control.

Yulia Kalyuzhnaya, head of the expedition's shore headquarters, went to Easter Island in advance to prepare for the meeting of the crew. She also provided for actions in case of an emergency.

- Therefore, when the call came on March 16, I acted according to the worked out scheme. I contacted the "Marine Community", with its member Julio, told him the coordinates. I had an understanding that these people would do everything right, quickly and clearly. Also, on Easter Island, the owner of the hotel, a former naval officer, overheard my conversations and asked what happened. I explained to him. He said, "Get in the car, let's go to the Chile Armada." There, the SOS signal was shown on the big screen. We looked together to see which ships were close to the trimaran. As a result, it became clear that a cargo ship under the Panamanian flag should arrive in about four hours. We agreed with the crew that they would transmit their coordinates every hour ,” Kalyuzhnaya said.

During the day, the crew's satellite phone received several calls from rescuers. It was a great success that one of the team members, Egor Muzileev, speaks excellent Spanish. He is negotiating.

- Rescuers find several ships in the wreckage area performing different tasks. We report the coordinates. The Panamanian bulk carrier Sounion is the closest ,” Kovalevsky said.

The crew realizes that the trimaran may have to be abandoned in the ocean. The team packs documents, filming equipment, personal belongings. Much remains to be left on board, in difficult conditions you simply cannot carry everything away.

- Fortunately for us, the sea is completely calm, but it is pouring rain, visibility is poor, high swell. At about 21:30 we saw the lights of the bulk carrier. But for some reason, I didn’t experience much joy. Yes, everything ended happily, but, unfortunately, everything ended. Yes, the captain agreed to take our trimaran in tow, but will he get to shore in tow? Berezkin noted.

The rescue operation lasts about three hours. Not everything goes smoothly, the excitement is serious. The cargo ship of Laskaridis Maritime is standing on the leeward side, the trimaran is slowly pushing to its side.

- Horror, the steel wall of the board, eight meters high, hangs over our tiny "inflatable". The trimaran continually thrashes against the side and crushes the Sounion under the steel hull. It's scary , - Kovalevsky admits.

The crew of the ocean-going vessel unsuccessfully tries to lower the lifeboat overboard to receive the travelers and their belongings. The boat hangs in the air along with people and beats against the side. The captain cancels the descent and gives the command to drop the two mooring lines that are catching the trimaran. With the risk of falling overboard, the evacuation begins. Egor and Pasoka are the first to leave, then Evgeny, and Stas is the last.

- I grabbed the ladder, but the arm that had been dislocated a week earlier unclenched and I flew into the water. I didn’t feel fear, I just saw that I got between the side and a three-ton trimaran flying at me. Thoughts that this is already the end of all my adventures were interrupted by a sharp spurt of insurance. I flew over the trimaran and plopped down on the port balloon. "Not now," I chuckled and prepared to grab the ladder with my right, good hand. On the second attempt, the ladder flew past, I pushed off the side with my hand and stood on my feet. After a couple of seconds, concentrating, he nevertheless caught him and climbed up with the last of his strength. A second later, a meter from my feet, the trimaran rumbled its beam against the side, but I was already climbing over the rail onto the deck. He moved almost crawling, his arms and legs trembled. “I would like water…” I croaked to a Filipino sailor in Russian- said Berezkin.

The ship's captain agreed to tow the expedition's trimaran. Everything went well at first. The Sounion is heading towards the Strait of Magellan on a flight from the US to Brazil, the trimaran is visible astern. Round-the-world travelers are allocated personal cabins.

However, the captain soon reports that the trimaran has been torn off the bulk carrier. The Pacific Ocean does not want to give up its prey.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:26 pm

Part 2
This wasn't the first ship that they lost on this expedition.

"WHAT HAPPENED WAS A SHOCK": HOW THEY TRIED TO SAVE THE TRIMARAN OF THE CIRCUMNAVIGATION OF THE RUSSIAN GEOGRAPHICAL SOCIETY

The shipowner authorized another attempt at towing. The trimaran is visible on the radar, in an hour it is already there. Beryozkin had to jump on board the inflatable vessel to tie it up again. But the weather has changed, the excitement and wind have intensified, which is why the captain does not allow landing. It's too life-threatening.

The team is trying to hook the trimaran with a weighted rope and pull it closer to the bulk carrier. If it doesn't work out, the operation ends - the Sounion is already 12 hours behind schedule.

- The first mate swings and throws a rope at the trimaran. The end didn't stick. The trimaran slowly leaves along the side. Fortunately the board is long. There are chances. The first mate throws again - failure. Filipino sailors throw two more times - failure. The trimaran is out of range ,” Kovalevsky describes the situation.

According to Yegor Muzileev, the crew was very upset by the loss of their ship, which became their home. Everyone was constantly wondering what had gone wrong. In addition, a lot of personal and expedition items remained on board.

“ The only thing I personally could not afford to lose in this situation was Pasoka. Fortunately, the dog is with us, alive and well. Let a lot of electronics and equipment drown, but they can be bought later , - added Musileev.

Egor plans to take a break from his travels and, together with Pasoka, return to his mother, whom he has not seen for about two years. She has a birthday soon.

- Where the new roads will lead us is not yet known. It is possible that we will once again become part of the expedition, from which, in spite of everything, there are very good memories ,” said Musileev.

The head of the coastal headquarters Yulia Kalyuzhnaya admitted that she cried with the team when it became known about the loss of the trimaran.

- At night, the satellite rang again. Evgeny Alexandrovich reported with a sore throat that the trimaran had been torn off. The crew saw him leaving for the Pacific Ocean, but there was nothing they could do about it. I wept with them, because we had put so much effort into the fact that the expedition could continue. I myself personally laid out food for them, unloaded things, sorted out sleeping places. I had my own, special love for this ship. For me it was a small house on the water. Therefore, such pain of loss, of course, is not commensurate with anything , - Kalyuzhnaya emphasized.

On March 25, a dry cargo ship with circumnavigators on board arrived safely in Punta Arenas, Chile. The Russians stepped ashore, meeting a very warm welcome from local authorities, old acquaintances and journalists.

The expedition members did not lose heart and did not abandon their plans. There is an option to continue sailing. Eight years ago, Russian traveler Dmitry Trubitsin sailed on an inflatable catamaran from Peru to Easter Island, where he left his ship until better times.

After Yulia Kalyuzhnaya reported that the circumnavigation could be continued, Kovalevsky and Berezkin contacted Dmitry Trubitsin. He gave permission for the use of his catamaran. Already in April of this year, the expedition "On the way of Russian sailors around the world" expects to repeat the attempt to cross the Pacific Ocean.

On July 1, 2021, Siberian travelers Evgeny Kovalevsky and Stanislav Berezkin set off along the route of the first Russian round-the-world expeditions of the 19th century: Ivan Krusenstern (1803–1806), Yuri Lisyansky (1803–1806), Otto Kotzebue (1815–1818, 1823–1826), Vasily Golovnin (1817–1819), Fyodor Litke (1826–1829), Thaddeus Bellingshausen and Mikhail Lazarev (1819–1921). The international project of the Tomsk regional branch of the Russian Geographical Society "On the way of Russian sailors around the world" is dedicated to the 250th anniversary of the birth of Krusenstern and the 200th anniversary of the discovery of Antarctica by Russian sailors. These events for a long time determined Russia's leadership in the development of the oceans and the discovery of new lands. You can learn more about the project and provide all possible assistance in its implementation on the website of the expedition .

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:31 pm

Here is the story of their second ship (The one the sharks ate)

NEW RGS CIRCUMNAVIGATION VESSEL LAUNCHED ON EASTER ISLAND

https://www.rgo.ru/en/article/new-rgs-c ... ter-island

On the distant Easter Island in the Pacific Ocean, on April 21, a new vessel of the circumnavigation expedition of the Tomsk Regional Branch of the Russian Geographical Society was launched. The crew of brave travelers, which was joined by two more participants, intends to go to sea in the coming days and continue their voyage. They have been preparing for the start for almost a month.

After the loss of the trimaran, on which the circumnavigators had already sailed almost half of the globe, Evgeny Kovalevsky and Stanislav Berezkin, together with the head of the expedition's coastal headquarters, Yulia Kalyuzhnaya, spent the whole of April on Rapanui (as the locals call Easter Island), preparing for the continuation of the project. The crew will continue their voyage on a catamaran. It was provided to the Siberians by the Russian traveler Dmitry Trubitsin and the “Tion” company. The vessel was named “Tion-Russian Ocean Way”.

The catamaran was stored on the island for about eight years in a humid tropical climate, which could not but affect its condition. The Russian circumnavigators had to work hard to put the new vessel in order, improve the design, replace some parts. The process was complicated by the lack of necessary spare parts on Rapanui and technical difficulties.

The missing equipment and parts were delivered to Easter Island by a new member of the team mining engineer Andrey Cherepanov from the city of Verkhnyaya Pyshma in the Sverdlovsk Region. He planned to take part in the circumnavigation even before its start. Andrey has been engaged in sailing tourism since 2013, was in the global expedition "Siberia – Antarctica – Siberia" in 2019-2020.

Fourth in the crew on the upcoming crossing will be a lifeguard and underwater photographer from Chile Caleb Jara Garate. Since 2013, he has been living on Easter Island. His love of diving and sailing in the Pacific Ocean led him here. On Rapanui, Caleb became a freediving instructor.

Local residents who showed great interest in circumnavigating the world took part in the preparation of the catamaran for the voyage with great enthusiasm. This was facilitated by meetings with the Russian crew within the framework of the "peace mission", which became one of the main goals of the expedition of the Tomsk Regional Branch of the Russian Geographical Society.

An old friend, Norberto Luna from Buenos Aires, a specialist in the creation of inflatable speedboats, also provided great help. He had become interested in the project and developed a close bond the crew during the voyage of the circumnavigators along the coast of Argentina, and now he flew to Easter Island to provide them with maximum assistance.

b34f7fea-41fd-45a5-b878-bef.jpg

Экипаж кругосветки у нового катамарана на фоне полинезийского ваке. Фото участников экспедиции
“We assembled our catamaran right under the Polynesian canoe, built of wood without nails in the ancient Polynesian style. On this canoe, or waka, Lynn Tuki Rapu, a cultural leader and an active promoter of the traditions of the peoples of Easter Island, with the crew sailed the ocean. For him and other residents of the island, the visit of our expedition to Rapanui and the continuation of the voyage through Polynesia is part of history. They treat us with respect," Kovalevsky said.

Before the upcoming departure to the sea, the Russians, together with Linn Tuki Rapu, gave an interview on local radio. They invited everyone to the departure ceremony. Now the whole island knows about the expedition on the inflatable "Russian waka".

9acb8171-c8cd-46f2-b5fb-23e.jpg

Евгений Ковалевский и Линн Туки Рапу на местном радио. Фото участников экспедиции
The crew will take with them 100kg of food, 500 liters of water, and 300 liters of gasoline. A lot of goodies for the road – fruit, pastries, and other food – were collected by the islanders.

“They give us a ride in cars when they see that we are walking. All local residents, authorities, military, and the police give us attention, respect, and assistance. The residents of Rapanui perceive our visit to the island as a historic event," Evgeny Kovalevsky stressed.

It was originally planned to go to sea on April 23. However, capricious weather made its own adjustments.

“Due to the fact that the forecast is bad for the next two days, we tied the catamaran with ropes between the pier and the buoy. It is expected to rain all day tomorrow. It’s already picked up today, and it turned to downpour a couple of times. On Tuesday, April 25, we will set off for Nuku Hiva in the archipelago of the Marquesas Islands," Kovalevsky said.

a49dd591-d9cc-40c0-a2ac-d55.jpg

Вскоре кругосветчики РГО оставят за кормой гостеприимный остров Пасхи. Фото участников экспедиции
On July 1, 2021, Siberian travelers Evgeny Kovalevsky and Stanislav Berezkin set off along the route of the first Russian round-the-world expeditions of the 19th century: Ivan Kruzenshtern’s (1803-1806), Yuri Lisyansky’s (1803-1806), Otto Kotzebue’s (1815-1818, 1823-1826), Vasily Golovnin’s (1817-1819), Fedor Litke’s (1826-1829), Faddey Bellingshausen and Mikhail Lazarev’s (1819-1921). The international project of the Tomsk Regional Branch of the Russian Geographical Society "Following the paths of Russian explorers" is dedicated to the 250th birthday anniversary of Krusenstern and the 200th anniversary of the discovery of Antarctica by Russian sailors. These events for a long time determined Russia's leadership in the development of the oceans and the discovery of new lands. You can learn more about the project and provide all possible assistance in its implementation on the website of the expedition.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:28 pm

Rhino at Austrian zoo attacks couple, killing the woman and hurting the man as he helped her
Zoo director Sabine Grebner told reporters that the 33-year-old woman, a German citizen from Bavaria, was assigned to put insect repellent on the rhino.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/rhin ... rcna104690

BERLIN — A rhinoceros attacked a married couple working as zookeepers in Austria on Tuesday, killing the woman and seriously injuring the man as he attempted to save her, authorities said.

The attack happened at the Hellbrunn Zoo in the western Austrian city of Salzburg.

Zoo director Sabine Grebner told reporters that the 33-year-old woman, a German citizen from Bavaria, was assigned that day to put insect repellent on the rhino’s body because they are very sensitive to insect bites.

The 30-year-old female rhino, Jeti, attacked the keeper though it was not clear why, Austria’s APA news agency cited Grebner as saying.

Salzburg police said the woman “succumbed to her injuries at the scene of the accident.” Attempts to resuscitate her were not successful.

The other zookeeper, a 34-year-old Austrian citizen who was feeding other animals at the time, was also attacked and injured when he tried to chase the rhino away from his wife. The woman suffered severe chest trauma while her husband had a fractured leg and was taken to a hospital, APA reported.

The names of the two zookeepers were not released in line with Austrian privacy rules.

The man, a trained animal keeper, has worked at the zoo since 2008, and his wife, a certified animal keeper, since 2014. Previously, she was employed in Munich, the zoo director said.

The zoo director said she was known to be “very careful and thoughtful with the animals, and she had an extremely good sense” when dealing with them.

Grebner said the exact circumstances of how the attack occurred had yet to be determined.

“Maybe there was some kind of irritation,” she said. “We are deeply upset and shocked.”

All safety regulations will be reevaluated, she said, adding that there had been no previous incidents at the rhino enclosure, which was set up nearly 30 years ago.

Grebner said Jeti weighs 1.8 tons and has been at the zoo since 2009. She said the rhino was cooperative and had never been boisterous. She took on the role of an aunt to the young animals and gave birth to a cub herself in 2015.

Salzburg Zoo has four rhinos — three females and one bull, APA reported.

“The animals are very cooperative and have been at Salzburg Zoo for a very long time,” the zoo director said. She said all of the rhinos respond to handling, come from outside into the rhino house when they are called by their names, and veterinarians can take their blood without anesthesia, APA reported.

Police are investigating the attack, the news agency said.

The zoo will remain closed on Tuesday and Wednesday.

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by llondel » Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:46 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:28 pm
Police are investigating the attack, the news agency said.
Are they going to interview the rhino? I feel sorry for whoever gets the job of arresting her.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:30 pm

Black bears raid Krispy Kreme delivery van on JBER

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2023/ ... -van-jber/

BANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - A mama black bear and her cub had their fill of sweets Tuesday morning when they climbed into a van delivering Krispy Kreme Doughnuts and devoured several boxes of the freshly baked treats.

The van was parked on Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson when it happened. As a delivery driver was making a regular stop at an Express store on base, he briefly left the van door open to deliver doughnuts to the store. That’s when the mother bear and her cub snuck inside.

“You could hear them breaking open the packages,” said Shelly Deano, manager of the JBER store. “We were trying to beat on the van but they just kept eating all the doughnuts. They ate 20 packages of the doughnut holes and I believe six packages of the three-pack chocolate doughnuts.”

Deano called base security, which eventually got the bears to leave the van by blasting loud sirens. She said they ambled off into the nearby woods.

Candice Sargeant, the general manager of the Krispy Kreme stores on Muldoon and in Wasilla, said her team learned a lesson from the unusual experience.

“We’ll definitely be learning to slide up our ramp, close the doors, to ensure that bears don’t get back in there again,” she said with a laugh.

After seven years in business, she said this was a definitely a first.

If you experience an encounter with wildlife that could leave an animal injured or orphaned, please report it on the Alaska Department of Fish and Game website.

PP

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by Karearea » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:21 pm

Birds is clever:

kākā bird turning on tap to drink from it [24sec]