Lotions, potions and liniments

General Chit Chat
Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Lotions, potions and liniments

#61 Post by Tall Bird » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:40 am

We've mentioned Fiery Jack before. I've happy memories of massaging rugby players' parts but the smell of FJ was definitely a passion killer. :))

Haemorrhoid cream is used, allegedly, by fashion models and stylists to reduce swelling (bags) under the eyes. [-X

Ex-Lax. How many children have suffered the consequences of finding tiny pieces of chocolate wrapped in silver paper?! Not me, t'were my brothers.

Gentian violet besmeared on affected parts was a popular remedy with both my grans. There was always a warning not to stain carpets, furniture and one's clothes with the stuff. I remember painting my nails with it 'cos I liked the colour and was later sent to bed with no tea for doing so. Still painting my nails purple.......

MoreAviation

#62 Post by MoreAviation » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:00 am

In the world of adolescent fantasy Lion magazine's OddBallOates, a scrawny wee Scotsman, was known for his transformation into a strongman by inhaling the infusion of a secret combination of herbs and heathers... I was struck by this but found the results in strength and physique in inhaling burning leaves were no more efficacious than any of the solutions suggested by the American strong man Charles Atlas and his amazing notion of Dynamic Tension.

My evil brother suggested that Oates was inhaling illicit drugs and given the kind of thing that happens in athletics these days, who is to say that my brother was wrong!

oddball.jpg
oddball.jpg (145.2 KiB) Viewed 335 times

Capetonian

#63 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:00 am

I'll always remember how we dumped gentian violet into our school swimming pool to sabotage sports day. We hated the sports teacher with a passion even greater than that with which we hated sports ........ and the new swimming pool was his pride and joy.

MoreAviation

#64 Post by MoreAviation » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:05 am

Capetonian wrote:I'll always remember how we dumped gentian violet into our school swimming pool to sabotage sports day. We hated the sports teacher with a passion even greater than that with which we hated sports ........ and the new swimming pool was his pride and joy.

A boy after my own heart, we dropped a bottle of phenolphthalein into the school swimming pool before the end of year school gala. The resulting water colour was hypnotic but the resulting official brouhaha was not pleasant at all....

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#65 Post by OFSO » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:00 pm

by fashion models and stylists

And gentlemen of alternative sexual persuasion, according to that fine writer of 'Harry Bosch' novels, Michael Connolly. One of his books starts with the murder of a wealthy chap and at the PM it's noted he doesn't have hemorrhoids but does have Preparation H in his car and traces on his face, under the eyes, which leads Bosch to the gay scene in which the chappie was dabbling.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by 500N » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:29 pm

Cod Liver Oil !

Can't remember what it was given for.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:31 pm

500N wrote:Cod Liver Oil !

Can't remember what it was given for.

Gout. Did you have gout? :D :ymdevil:
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#68 Post by 500N » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:32 pm

Never had gout.

I think it was Vitamin D they gave it for.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by om15 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:38 pm

Cod liver oil, - I still have a table spoon of this every day, no idea why.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#70 Post by 500N » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:55 pm

om15 wrote:Cod liver oil, - I still have a table spoon of this every day, no idea why.

Vitamin D ?

I get at least an hours sun each day, much nicer than CLO.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#71 Post by om15 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:45 pm

I haven't a clue why, Mrs om gives me a small plastic beaker with this stuff in it, also another one with red stuff in it once a day. (could she be after the insurance money?), judging by the unappetising taste it must be doing me good.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#72 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:38 pm

om15 wrote:I haven't a clue why, Mrs om gives me a small plastic beaker with this stuff in it, also another one with red stuff in it once a day. (could she be after the insurance money?), judging by the unappetising taste it must be doing me good.

Is the "red stuff" sweet tasting? If so it might be anti-freeze. No harm there. :D :D
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

Beaufort

#73 Post by Beaufort » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:46 pm

As a sprog I can remember being administered a teaspoon of malt extract out of a bottle. This had the consistency of thick treacle.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#74 Post by OFSO » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:04 pm

All of these pills, capsules, and liquids ! Why not add a fun element to it ? Have the wife stand behind your serving hatch (if you have one) in some kind of Nurse Ratched uniform (or looking like Hot lips if you are a M*A*S*H fan) and you can shuffle up to the hatch with a tray in your hand, rolling your eyes and drooling (that's the part I like doing) while you get your daily dose of (simulated) psycho medicine. A little bondage element might be getting her to throw you to the ground and force it down your throat...

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#75 Post by Magnus » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:29 pm

Ah, now, on the subject of nurses (possible slight thread drift), anyone remember Jenny Agutter in "American Werewolf in London"? Rather stimulating, as I recall. Thanks, OFSO.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#76 Post by Stoneboat » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:47 pm

Magnus wrote:Ah, now, on the subject of nurses (possible slight thread drift), anyone remember Jenny Agutter in "American Werewolf in London"? Rather stimulating, as I recall. Thanks, OFSO.

And let's not forget Logan's Run.

MoreAviation

#77 Post by MoreAviation » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:40 am

Men have died for less than that for thighs like those.

In my language, stoute boude....

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#78 Post by BenThere » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:58 am

I was converted to Lavender oil (French) around 2003 when I sprained an ankle and my French companion rubbed it on the wound. In one day the bruise and tenderness were gone and I was back at 100%. Lavender works on burns, stings, infections, body and muscle aches, and wounds. It really is a miracle cure and to this day I carry a 100 ml spray bottle of pure French lavender officianalis lavender oil bottle everywhere I go. It's my primary first aid kit.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#79 Post by Hydromet » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:51 am

BenThere, lavender oil is also the favoured oil for preventing rust on woodworking tools. I believe it's traditional in Japan.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#80 Post by 500N » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:54 am

BenThere

Thanks, I never knew that.