General Chit Chat
Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The last bus to nowhere!

#21 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:20 am

John Hill wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:15 am
There had been a sprinkle of rain in the area the driver explained as we squished kangaroo after kangaroo. Apparently the 'roos seek the green shoots at the edge of road and when dazzled by the lights they jump forward under the wheels.
Used to drive from Cairns to Gladstone regularly.The road swings inland around Rockie with kangaroos always on the road at night. They sleep on the road as the bitumen absorbs the sun during the day, and is nice and warm at night.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by Hydromet » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:38 am

I was driving near Tooleybuck at dusk on a dirt road, in the first work car I'd had that had ABS when two kangaroos bounded onto the road in front of me. I tried to brake under control, without skidding, then realised I had ABS, so decided to hive it a try. I stood on the brake pedal, the car stood on its nose and the roos bounded off safely into the sunset. Everything that had been on the seats ended up on the floor, but the car stopped in a straight line. Score 1 for ABS.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by OneHungLow » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:01 am

John Hill wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:15 am
One day in the closing years of the last century the XYL and I decided to take a short break in Queensland, Oz.

With no particular care taken in planning we found ourselves in Townsville but the place seemed to be closed and we were obviously in the wrong part of town which was more depressing than anywhere else I had seen in the so-called First World.
I have never been to Australia but became a fan of the Australian Supercars V8 series on UK television, and when the series visited Townsville, the place always depressed me virtually from afar with its sense of physical and cultural isolation, looking at bit like the last bus stop at the edge the universe, despite the nice coastal condominiums (I think Aussies call them units) and beach front. It had the feel of Brakpan by sea but far more isolated! It looked like a place where the warm sea air might make books and thought commit hara-kiri! A place where a man might take to drink to stem the existential angst. Maybe more like Bloemfontein but a bit better! =))

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brakpan

Brakpan.JPG
Brakpan.JPG (57.58 KiB) Viewed 173 times
The observer of fools in military south and north...