Best Beaches you've enjoyed

General Chit Chat
EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Best Beaches you've enjoyed

#1 Post by EA01 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:21 am

.....following on from best & worst Hotels...

reddo
Capt
Capt
Re: Best Beaches you've enjoyed

#2 Post by reddo » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:48 am

I really like Palm Beach in Sydney. The "kiddies corner" end was a favourite. Nice fun waves to play in and rarely crowded.

Another fav will be our "local" beach in a couple of years is Main Beach at Noosa. Not the bit in front of the club house, but at access 13, west of the groyne.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:47 pm

Antigua. We use a particular tour company and he takes us to the best beach for the weather on the day. Last year it was to his favourite beach. The beach shelved and was quite narrow but the beach cafe was what made it.

Tables undercover but on sand, the passage ways paved. The decor definitely flotsam.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by tango15 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:10 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:47 pm
Antigua. We use a particular tour company and he takes us to the best beach for the weather on the day. Last year it was to his favourite beach. The beach shelved and was quite narrow but the beach cafe was what made it.

Tables undercover but on sand, the passage ways paved. The decor definitely flotsam.
Antigua would get my vote, too. There are many (relatively unknown) beaches that can only be reached by boat and are usually deserted. One of my favourites used to be Carlisle Bay, but there has inevitably been a lot of building there in recent years. Another favourite was Governor's Beach at Cockburn Town in The Turks and Caicos. Incidentally, I recommend The Turks and Caicos to anyone who likes undeveloped islands with beaches. Just stay clear of Provo (Providenciales).

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:18 pm

Rhossili (Wales).

Northumberland beaches (but don't tell anyone) - downside, is chilly climate.

1. Bamburgh Castle Beach
Majestic Bamburgh Castle, once a Norman stronghold towers over the wide expanse of pristine, sandy beach, backed by sand dunes. Bamburgh Castle beach is a perfect place to go for long, wind-swept walks at any time of year.

2. Embleton Bay
Embleton Bay is a long stretch of golden sand overlooked by the dramatic ruins of Dunstanburgh Castle. Running behind the beach is the Dunstanburgh Castle Golf Club and a little way beyond this the medieval village of Embleton.

3. Cocklawburn Beach
This stunning, sand and rock, beach, backed by grassy dunes, lies on the North Sea coast, between Berwick and the Lindisfarne National Nature Reserve.

4. Longhoughton Beach
Longhoughton (also known as Howdiemont Sands and Burn Mouth) is a lovely remote beach made up of sand, shingle and rocks. At low tide it is wide and predominantly sandy, but much of the sand is covered as the tide comes in.

5. Alnmouth Beach
Alnmouth beach sits in a wide sandy bay at the mouth of the River Aln (hence the name!). On the north bank of the river, behind the beach is the pretty little village of Alnmouth.

6. Druridge Bay
Druridge Bay is a 7-mile stretch of golden sandy shoreline, backed by grassy dunes. The beach here runs south from Amble, all the way down to Cresswell.

7. Cresswell Beach
Set on the southern edge of Druridge Bay is Cresswell beach. The sandy beach here is one of the best on the Northumberland coast. The gently sloping sand is backed by extensive sand dunes and can seem to go on forever at low tide.

8. Seahouses Beach
Seahouses lies on the Northumberland coast approximately mid-way between Bamburgh Castle and Beadnell. The town has excellent amenities and is a popular destination for both tourists and locals.

9. Warkworth Beach
Warkworth Beach is less than a mile away from historic Warkworth village, between Birling Carrs and Amble Breakwater. Visitors to the village often miss the beach, but those who make the trip are rewarded with a vast expanse of pristine,…

10. Blyth Beach
Blyth South is a long, wide, golden stretch of sandy beach, backed by a system of sand dunes which are a haven for wildlife and a designated area of Special Nature Conservation.

11. Beadnell Bay
Beadnell Bay is a wide, sandy beach in a horseshoe shaped bay just south of the village of Beadnell. The glorious golden sand, curves around the bay forming a natural harbour. To the rear of the beach are grassy sand dunes.

12. Spittal Beach
Spittal lies on the Northumberland coast about half a mile south of Berwick-upon-Tweed. Visitors have been coming here since the 18th century, when Spittal was a popular spa and bathing resort.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by tango15 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:10 pm

I know quite a few of those, G-C, having lived in Blyth for a few years. My favourite was Blyth South of course. I did attempt a couple of trips into the water on warmer days, but why aye, man - it was cold!

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:45 pm

reddo wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:48 am

Another fav will be our "local" beach in a couple of years is Main Beach at Noosa. Not the bit in front of the club house, but at access 13, west of the groyne.
Look nice!
Hope that I am invited to the housewarming party. :D

PP

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Woody » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:42 pm

Boulders Beach for the swimming with penguins for me, Camps Bay is stunning, but the water is bloody freezing 🥶
When all else fails, read the instructions.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#9 Post by reddo » Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:46 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:45 pm

Look nice!
Hope that I am invited to the housewarming party. :D

PP
We'll be there soon enough. :-bd

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by OneHungLow » Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:52 pm

Barafundle Bay near Stackpole in Wales has a nice beach. Probably the best beach I have seen here in the UK. Perfect white sand. Clean water and not a soul on the beach on the day I was there.

One of my favourite beaches in the Cape in SA is the one at Pringle Bay.
The observer of fools in military south and north...

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Hydromet » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:28 pm

I'd never seen a surf beach until, as a 5 year old, we moved from a small North Queensland mining town to Manly, NSW. I learned to swim there, and Manly remains my favourite surf beach, although I haven't been there for a while. I also loved Loloho beach in Bougainville, although it wasn't a surf beach. Volleyball followed by a swim was our regular Saturday morning routine. If the water had been a few degrees cooler it would have been perfect.
A few of the beaches on Jervis Bay are very pleasant - quiet, and you're likely to see dolphins sharing the water.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:03 am

A little beach just at the side of Honolulu Airport, forget the name, if it had one ? Learned to Water Ski and Surf ( and enjoy sunbathing, at the time on 3 month posting from UK.)

Years later it was re-developed and is now part of the main runway. I would occasionally tell my co-pilot that "I learned to water ski on this runway " as we applied power for take-off. They thought I was mad.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:31 am

The beach that was cut to accommodate the runway at Skyros airport (LGSY) in the central Aegean. The western part was crowded with staff and family members but the eastern part was a large sandy beach with rapidly deepening water and a an area about 30 sq m with small round rocks where one could stand to dry before walking in the sand.

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#14 Post by limeygal » Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:39 am

Not a beach lover but there is one in NW Florida that took my breath away. Went on a drive with a friend who is a local historian and was researching for a book, Being a local he knew backroads and places grockles and most locals don't know about. I would never be able to find it again, but just seeing it once was amazing. If memory serves it was somewhere near Apalachicola. We were the only people there.