The coolest accents...

General Chit Chat
G~Man
Capt
Capt

Re: The coolest accents...

#21 Post by G~Man » Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:53 pm

Hmmmm....brings back memories of my father---Aberdeen born and raised, thill he left:

B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by Hydromet » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:10 pm

Back in my youth I used to speak to a lady a couple of times a week on the phone, but had never met her. She was bright and bubbly, and had a delightful English accent - I can't remember what part she was from. I formed a picture in my mind of a petite young lady with dark hair, brown eyes and pale skin. When the time came we arranged to meet for Christmas drinks.
Needless to say, she looked nothing like I'd imagined. She was laregish, with brown hair and freckles. Nonetheless, she was still bright and bubbly, and we continued to enjoy our phone conversations. No doubt I wasn't the 6'4" bronzed Aussie she'd envisioned either.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:55 pm

I used to speak almost daily on the telephone with a young female in our head office in Germany.

Angelika had the richest deep (but female) Marlene Dietrich voice (though I knew she was only about 20 year old).

When the time came for me to meet her they warned me not to expect her to look like her voice, however I was attracted to her dark-haired average height slightly cross-eyed chubbiness - that voice was not to be overlooked when face-to-face.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:27 pm

I am from deep in the US South.
I went to college a few hours away but the majority of my friends were from all over the Northeast. When I would come home my mother would ask me "What are they teaching you up there? You come home sounding like a Yankee".
A few years later as I was taking a break from school and living at a ski resort out west my southern accent was always noted. The ladies who lived downstairs from me liked my accent (but that was about all) :(( and they would ask me to "Say something Southern". In the restaurant that I worked in, when there were ski clubs in from say Atlanta or Dallas, my coworkers would call me over and ask me to translate for them. :))

PP

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:04 am

Lived in Darwin, Northern Territory for about 3 years back in the late 70's. At one place I resided there was a Glaswegian living in a Caravan out the back of the property. (Shared the name of a famous, now deceased F1 driver of the 60's) Worked as a 'Wharfie' on the Darwin Docks and was a card carrying member of the Australian Communist Party.

His Glaswegian accent was thick enough, but with a couple of Scotches inside him he became totally unintelligible!
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by 1DC » Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:35 pm

We used to have a card carrying communist deliver the frozen shift meals to our oil terminal. He was hilarious from the midlands very excitable and waiting for the day when they took over the world, apparently the workers were probably going to be alright after the revolution but the bosses were going to be given a fair trial and then shot because that would be easier than teaching them to be workers.