Proctor Adventure

General Chit Chat
tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Proctor Adventure

#21 Post by tango15 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:01 pm

A little Proctor story of my own:

A group of friends, including myself, used to run an aviation society back in the old days of Speke Airport. A solicitor called Thomas Wayman-Hales kept a Proctor in the hangar to which our clubhouse was attached. As he became older, he lost interest in the aircraft and offered it to us to use as we wished, provided we took care of the fuel and maintenance. We had a tame qualified engineer locally, who was happy to take care of things, and a couple of PPL holders who were friends of his.
We formed the Double-Alpha Flying Club (original eh?) and used the aircraft to go to airshows and just for tootling around the area on CAVOK days.
The biggest problem was finding spares for what was now becoming an old aircraft (first registered in 1946 and we are now in the early 60s). We heard that two aircraft were being broken up at Burnaston (the old grass airfield near Derby, which was the headquarters of Derby Airways, and is now the site of a Toyota factory).

We arranged to go over there one Sunday and pick up some spares. I had organised a lot of the detail, but couldn't travel because we needed space for the spares. The TAF was checked, and off they went. We waited for their return, but there was no sign of the aircraft. No phone in the clubhouse, but I knew a couple of the people in ATC, so I found a phone elsewhere and called to ask if they knew anything. They had received a flight plan, but no ETD. Another hour or more passed, and we were reaching a time when it would become dark, so I rang ATC again, who knew nothing more than last time, but said they would call Burnaston, to ask what was happening. It transpired that the aircraft had crashed on take-off from Burnaston, but fortunately, there were no injuries. The field at Burnaston resembled an upturned saucer, and it seems that they had bought a lot of spares, which had a cumulative effect on the weight and balance of the aircraft, which had failed to become airborne. I learned a lot about flying weight and balance from that!

BEFORE:
G-AIAA-001.jpg
AND AFTER:
G-AIAA-Crash.jpg

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by Boac » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:07 pm

What a sad and unnecessary loss!

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by OneHungLow » Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:05 pm

More Percival, rather than Proctor, history but involves the loss of a classic aircraft. One out of the 6 Mew Gulls ever built. Well BUHL (before One Hung Low).
Stanley Seward Halse
By Lawrence Milner

Stan Halse was the Chairman and Flying Instructor at the Johannesburg Light Plane Club (JLPC) from 1929-1937. He was a founding member together with Rod Douglas, seen below running up the Percival Mew Gull ZS-AHO named “Baragwanath” in honour of his home aerodrome on September 15th, 1936 at Gravesend U.K. which was entered for the Schlesinger, Portsmouth to Rand Airport Race.

The colour scheme for this aircraft was Titanine pillar-box red overall with the lettering and the name in gold. Two of his pupils, Mr. ‘Rex’ Hull and Sir George Albu, put up the funds for the purchase of this aircraft from Percival’s factory at Gravesend.

This ‘Mew Gull’ was one of three entered for the race, the other entries were Major Allister Miller in ZS-AHM and Tom Campbell Black in G-AEKL.

Unfortunately Tom Campbell Black was killed at Speke Airport when a Hawker ‘Hart’ ran into him and sliced into his cockpit with its propeller.

Major Miller was forced to abandon the race at Belgrade owing to a faulty fuel feed.

Of the nine entrants to the race, only one succeeded in finishing – which was a Percival Vega Gull flown by Scott and Guthrie.

Stan Halse, who was well ahead of the race, attempted a landing in a field just outside Salisbury, Rhodesia in order to establish his position, not perceiving that it had been ploughed and the clods of earth jammed his wheels causing the plane to flip on its back and hurling Stan Halse through the cockpit and breaking his collar bone – he was hospitalized for two weeks.

Stan Halse’s Percival Mew Gull was powered by a Gipsy Six Series 2 – 205 HP engine with a two bladed 7ft diameter de Havilland variable pitch propeller.
Baragwanath.JPG
Baragwanath.JPG (57.28 KiB) Viewed 242 times

https://jlpc.co.za/1936/09/stanley-halse/
The observer of fools in military south and north...

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by John Hill » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:43 pm

Jean Batten flew a Percival Gull from England to NZ in 1936 setting a world record and in a time that would not be bettered for a solo flight for 40 years or so. If she had flown much further she would have been on the way back!

https://digitalnz.org/stories/632e76dd764f44001a30b3bf

One of her female contemporaries told me that all Jean Batten's fund raising was done with silk stockings and lipstick!
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.