Car diagnostics

General Chit Chat
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Car diagnostics

#1 Post by Boac » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:10 pm

Can anyone recall a thread on readers/scanners? I was prompted to consider buying one when my garage wanted £60+VAT to read my engine codes.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Car diagnostics

#2 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:55 pm

Autel MaxiScan MS309 OBD2 Scanner
Can't get a link to work - find it floating down the big South American river.
This is available with different manufacturers names on (e.g. Titan), but I believe they are all made in the same factory.
Just get something with this form factor.

This is all you need, unless you need to cancel codes on the move and fault-find in more detail, in which case I recommend this

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/

I have both, the first one for 10 years, the second for 6. Work great.

Since they run off the vehicles 12V electrics, you can buy (or get someone to buy for you) them over here for you, where they are cheaper.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:03 pm

Mine is missing in action (misplaced ~X( ) but it saved me lots of money and heartache resetting the check engine light before going through emissions testing.
Only failed one time when their equipment said that the vehicle hadn't ben driven far enough after resetting. Their handout detailed specific driving pattern to insure that enough driving of various types was done to qualify. Luckily, I was able to drive enough to pass without the light coming back on.
I think the newer ones have more capability as the cars have become more computer reliant. D#2's 2014 Chevy went ape after battery replacement. It threw out all kinds of error messages until I had driven it enough to unscramble itself #:-S . My mechanic recommended keeping power to the vehicle via battery charger while changing battery.

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by llondel » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:26 pm

I have a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner and the Torque Lite app on my phone that talks to it. It will do way more than read (and clear) engine codes.

This is the one I bought, but it's out of stock now so I'm guessing they've updated to a new model. Some are better than others, reading reviews and car forum comments.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:34 pm

llondel wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:26 pm
I have a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner and the Torque Lite app on my phone that talks to it. It will do way more than read (and clear) engine codes.

This is the one I bought, but it's out of stock now so I'm guessing they've updated to a new model. Some are better than others, reading reviews and car forum comments.

Google Play Store says that the app won't work on any of my devices (Samsung S9+ and Samsung tablet).
What do you use it on?

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by llondel » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:37 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:34 pm
llondel wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:26 pm

Google Play Store says that the app won't work on any of my devices (Samsung S9+ and Samsung tablet).
What do you use it on?
My phones are all Moto brand, various models over the years, they all work just fine. You could just download the app and see what happens, it's the free version (paid-for has more features but I rarely use it, so didn't bother with the paid one)

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:23 pm

Found! #:-S :-bd
Looked in my old vehicle, deregistered and deinsured due to cracked frame on semi-permanent hold for repair.
Found it in seat back pocket but don't recall why I would have put it there. :-? :-??
Mine is the same as Fox3's Autel MaxiScan MS309 OBD2 Scanner just a different label (Cen-Tex, a Harbor Freight brand).
May have a go at one of the bluetooth scanners next time I have a spare $100 or unless I really need one.
The auto parts stores will give a readout but they won't reset codes. [-X

PP

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:33 pm

I bought an OBD scanner when the Audi main dealer tried - and failed - to charge me £65 for reading the codes after I told them to change the lambda oxygen sensor in my wife’s A3 after the AA told me that’s why the car went into limp mode. I subsequently bought the Veepeak Bluetooth OBD II Scanner and Diagnostic Code Reader for iOS & Android, compatible with 2001+ Petrol, 2004+ Diesel Cars
and Light Trucks. It also works in my electric Kia EV6.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by llondel » Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:24 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:23 pm
Looked in my old vehicle, deregistered and deinsured due to cracked frame on semi-permanent hold for repair.
Found it in seat back pocket but don't recall why I would have put it there. :-? :-??
Mine is the same as Fox3's Autel MaxiScan MS309 OBD2 Scanner just a different label (Cen-Tex, a Harbor Freight brand).
May have a go at one of the bluetooth scanners next time I have a spare $100 or unless I really need one.

PP
Some of the Bluetooth ones are down in the $20-$30 price bracket. As I said above, read the reviews. Also look at what the apps recommend, they often call out the bad ones.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Alisoncc » Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:14 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:23 pm
Mine is the same as Fox3's Autel MaxiScan MS309 OBD2 Scanner just a different label
Same here with the Autel box. It gives me a list of possible causes after displaying error codes. Must have paid for itself multiple times.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by OFSO » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:28 am

Mondeo just told me to "change the oil soon" so off to Mr Ford this morning. No idea how soon soon is. Manual says oil is on last 10% of its life.

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#12 Post by izod tester » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:00 am

I have the Autophix OM126 scanner. Easy to use and cancels an occasional engine warning light telling me that the variable valve inlet system is not working properly on my runabout Rav 4. I think there is a poor connection in the wiring harness since the light cancels itself in a couple of days if ignored. No change in fuel consumption which I would expect if there really was a problem.