Christmas dinner

General Chit Chat
Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Christmas dinner

#1 Post by Hydromet » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:45 pm

As just the two of us are at home, and the two daughters and their families are spread around, for the last couple of years we've had a quiet Christmas lunch of prawns and oysters, with a bought pudding, and cold meat with salad for dinner. We thought that Christmas alone without family would be disappointing, but actually, it's been quite pleasant, as we are able to talk to them and see them at other times without all the stress of preparing a big meal for lots of people.

This year, D1 will be with us and we will have dinner with D2 and her family. Christmas lunch & dinner will be prepared by D1 and 16 yo Granddaughter - D2's daughter. They are probably the two best cooks, and no one else will be allowed to do anything except, perhaps, pour drinks. We're quite looking forward to this, although it will be interesting to see if Mrs. Hydro can voluntarily keep herself out of the kitchen.

What is everyone else planning to do and eat for Christmas?

G~Man
Capt
Capt

Re: Christmas dinner

#2 Post by G~Man » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:15 pm

I have worked most christmases in recent years, although only really been on call--I did fly 2 out of the last 7 years.

I typically prefer to go low key. Last year we bar-b-qued a tri-tip, year before I think we did crab and scallops.....

About 15 years ago or so, (when I was between wives...), I voluntered at a homeless shelter and helped serve food----very rewarding and I had a blast.

This year will prolly do low key and maybe smoke some pork s I just bought a whole pig.....
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:33 pm

I thought "between wives" meant having to sleep in the middle of the bed?

If I finish the kitchen refurb on time, then it will be the Full Monty. Hearty breakfast, heroic even, to carry us through to mid afternoon. Lots of music, we like choirs in cathedrals (brings back memories of all the ones at school, both as pupil and teacher. My last one was Bath Abbey). G+T & exotic nibbles during prep, seafood starter, roast turkey, then all the usual afters au choix, of which usually two get consumed and the rest on Boxing Day - cheese board, Xmas pud, chocs, fruit cake.
I can do Xmas dinner using only a toaster oven and a couple of rings, but it's really hard work doing that for more than one person.
Roaring log fire in the stove, then probably some light movie.

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by bob2s » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:07 pm

The traditional Christmas dinner was started by my late wife and me and consisted of inlaws and outlaws which became a tradition up until 13 years ago when Wendy passed, this led to my sons and brother-in-laws taking turns hosting to keep the tradition alive. The day has changed due to other family
commitments and is normally celebrated a couple of days after Christmas Day. This year it is being held by one of Wendy's brothers who lives on the Central Coast, the 28th is the day voted on as the day all could make it, just so it isn't a burden on the lady of the house to feed everyone each family brings a
dish, and my contribution is a leg of ham, which I prepare in the host's kitchen by making a glaze and cooking it there and then. it has been 50 years of my doing this and is still requested each Christmas get-together, especially by the young ones. Have started to teach my Grandson how to do the ham just so the tradition is kept alive after I am gone.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:13 pm

A couple of years ago (living on my own) I decided to make my Christmas Dinner a Chinese (takeaway) banquet, so I arranged three orders of duck over the dates.

-

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#6 Post by Smeagol » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:36 pm

I shall be cooking a traditional dinner for all my immediate family. Elder son, his wife and our grandson, all who live quite close (less than 20 miles) will be here as will younger son and partner who will be making the 500 mile trek down from Dundee. So it will be Christmas dinner for 7. We will have Turkey, beef and ham plus a multitude of vegetables (including Brussel sprouts - which I HATE!) yorkshire puds and a mountain of roast potatoes with gravy and various sauces (horseradish for the beef and mint sauce for younger son who will eat it with anything) followed by the inevitable Christmas pud with Cornish clotted cream.
I will be up early to prepare and cook everything. Don't mind people talking to me in my kitchen as long as they stay out of my way and don't try to interfere.
We hates Bagginses!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:59 am

Can't remember the last time we did a Christmas dinner. Usually smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast. With fizz of course. Just been told that lunch will be fish pie. No chips.

No prezzies no decorations just another day in the bush.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Malvernian
FO
FO

#8 Post by Malvernian » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:45 am

We shall be with No 1 daughter and SiL, plus assorted grand children....Total chaos. Breakfast as with Ex-A, of scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, SiL will cook lunch as usual, slow cooked rib of beef, with usual veg/trimmings, sit down after after HMK to eat, then I will take their dog for a long walk to get away from it all for a couple of hours.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by OFSO » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:07 am

Never mind scrambled eggs, our family is scrambled over Christmas with a soupçon (or more) of celebrations for my 80th birthday. As 25% of the family will be skiing in Canada, before they go we have a mini Christmas lunch (turkey etc) at the King's Head on the 17th, then the remaining 75% for Christmas lunch on the 25th at nieces house, 50% of the family on my birthday back at the King's Head (roast beef and Y) on the 29%, and 100% for late birthday lunch (Lebanese, my choice) on January 1st. Gaviscon (!) and Radio Therapy from January 2nd.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by ricardian » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:57 am

Friend from England is staying over Christmas, she has "A" level cookery therefore she is i/c food and I am chief washer-up. On Xmas Day we have invited a couple of friends to join us. I recommenced brewing my own beer a few weeks ago so there will be lots of "tasting" of Bitter, Porter and, a new one for me, Barley Wine. At 11:30pm on 24th I play the organ for a Carol Service at the kirk, accompanied by the Silver Darlings a local all-age group of musicians playing a variety of instruments including accordion, violin, cello, flute & recorder. There is an informal Xmas Day service but I opted out of playing for that a few years ago.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Woody » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:34 am

I’ve got a 0430 shift on Christmas morning, but it’s not our turn to host dinner this time, so home, shower and relax. Unfortunately my plan to fly out on BA59 has been vetoed and so we’re flying out Boxing Day evening, staff travel, wx and any other variables permitting.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#12 Post by unifoxos » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:10 pm

All alone here with a 14 lb turkey to cook. Lady friends who would have come are both stuck in with illness and unlikely to make it, but the turkey is ordered and needs cooking. Sue and I used to host big family meals for many years but then decided it was more comforting to be just the two of us with really nice stuff to eat lazily over a few hours. In the last few years we went to hotels in Spain and Malta. I shan't do as many veg and extras as when I cater for visitors though, probably just the obligatory brussels, roasties and parsnips and some great cauliflower cheese I cooked a few weeks ago from the freezer.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by OFSO » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:27 pm

Will that be an A380 on Boxing Day evening, Woody, if so I will come out and wave as you climb out over Cromwell Road.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Woody » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:37 pm

OFSO wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:27 pm
Will that be an A380 on Boxing Day evening, Woody, if so I will come out and wave as you climb out over Cromwell Road.
Planning to go direct, so it should be a B777-300, BA43
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:47 pm

Christmas dinner - Plan B.

We have just been invited to a friend's for Xmas dinner. He has another friend visiting who is a professional chef and will be cooking.
I think that has to be the perfect solution!

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Wodrick » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:08 pm

As neither of us are avid turkey eaters and there is always too much since the neighbours died out we have taken to Suckling Pig with the normal accompaniments.
If I can get a quarter shoulder that will do us two meals and a sandwich for lunch.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by 1DC » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:46 pm

I used to enjoy cooking a traditional Christmas Dinner for all the family up til about 4 years ago, then number 1 daughter decided that my CharcottMurrayTooth disease had developed enough to make all the standing too much and said she would take over. I was quietly happy about that and did not protest so now we go to daughters on Christmas Eve and stay until Boxing Day. It will be good this year because Oz daughter will still be here so we will be a full family for a change.On the 28th. I will cook steak and chips for all hands. Oz daughter will be driven down to LHR on the 29th. and fly back to Oz on the 30th.

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#18 Post by limeygal » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:06 pm

Not a turkey fan. Will usually do a turkey breast for hubs with the usual suspects. This year we are doing the same as at Thanksgiving and eat out at our favourite Italian. Hubs can have their Christmas special and I can have something else. Win win. Re. Thanksgiving, after chatting with various friends and acquaintances-none opted for having turkey. How strange.

Rossian
Capt
Capt

#19 Post by Rossian » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:11 pm

Three other family members coming up on the 19th overnight from Bristol. I have tried and failed to persuade S-i-L that 68 he's no longer really in the shape for 573 miles over night in a oner. Hohum I tried.
We will do what has worked fror the past 3 Christmases - seafood starter at lunch time, main course circa 5pM, pudding later. No one feels stuffed and the catering is relaxed (for me). Prep in advance eg Today I fettled the bucket of gravy to accompany the turkey, chilled, bagged and will be in the freezer tomorrow. Other bits can happen in slow time.
It's just a more significant Sunday lunch I feel.

The Ancient Mariner

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Opsboi » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:16 pm

We've had goose for the last 3 years
This year it's a stuffed heritage breed turkey crown from an organic farm oop in t'Yorkshire (same outfit who supplied the geese)

Now to see t'vintner...