What I do in my spare time.

General Chit Chat
Rossian
Capt
Capt

Re: What I do in my spare time.

#41 Post by Rossian » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:08 pm

Why did you refer to it as a "suicide" toaster further up the page? Only because I'm curious you understand.

The Ancient Mainer

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#42 Post by Dushan » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:52 pm

Rossian,
because it has exposed live wires which are easy to access. Also if one of the element wires breaks it is likely to snap away from the mica material it is wound on and touch the casing.
Their sale has been banned a long time ago. I am fixing this for an elderly lady only as a sentimental value because it was owned by her parents. I told her that I will fix it but she is not to use it to make toast. I am also installing the 3rd grounding wire which the original does not have.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Rossian
Capt
Capt

#43 Post by Rossian » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:12 pm

That all makes sense, to me!
Is she a biddable old lady, or as most of them are, "I'll make my own bloody mind up. If it was OK for my Mom and Dad it'll be good enough for me".
When my wife fell heavily in the house back in December, the young paramedic lady who helped get her back on her feet said in her report that the patient was "easily able to follow instructions". I protested that statement and when the lass raised an eyebrow I explained that if her statement was correct it would be the first time in 58 years of marriage that that was the case. Loud protests from the other room!!

The Ancient Mariner

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#44 Post by Dushan » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:32 pm

She may be able to follow instructions, but not be willing to follow them.

Reminds me of a drunk who got arrested for disorderly conduct and admitted to what he did.
When asked by a judge why he didn't exercise his right to remain silent he said "I had the right to remain silent, but not the ability"

I don't know... She probably used it all her life so knows how. Also she does have a regular toaster in her kitchen now so I don't see the need to use this.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by Hydromet » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:43 pm

At least with that type of toaster, no one needed toaster tongs or, as some Darwin award candidates have used, metal cutlery, to extract a stuck slice of toast.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by Karearea » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:42 pm

The best-flavoured toast is that made on a toasting-fork in front of an open fire, although it's rather warm there and the process does bring a flush to the cheek of the kitchen-maid.
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:55 pm

That would explain why so many of the boarding house pupils we provided with toasters seemed to want to use them to create real fires ;)))

I instigated the provision of wooden spatulas, tied to the wall by each toaster, with which difficult slices could be extracted. This worked....in that nobody was afterwards treated for toaster-related injuries.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by Wodrick » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:41 pm

With a slight drift to did I do ....
scan0005.jpg
This is in home, Salford.

4x21el yagis in a box for 70cm (432mhz)

1.8m home made dish with a dual band feed for 23cm and 13cm (1296 mhz and 2304 Mhz)

all homemade atop a 28m telescopic tower.

Amateur Radio used to occupy my waking day.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by Hydromet » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:27 am

One of my woodworking friends' toaster tongs.
Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 12.24.53 pm.png
Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 12.24.53 pm.png (182.88 KiB) Viewed 552 times

Malvernian
FO
FO

#50 Post by Malvernian » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:23 pm

Wodrick,

What "G" are/were you, I'm a G8, still have my licence, but lost interest when I started working overseas quite a while ago.

"73's"

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by Wodrick » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:37 pm

G8JHL

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by llondel » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:18 am

Wodrick wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:41 pm
Amateur Radio used to occupy my waking day.
Me too. I was heavily into packet radio towards the end, then when I moved, I pretty much dropped it all. I do still have a bunch of VHF/UHF gear but it's 40 years old now. That's a scary realisation.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:40 am

I am in almost a reverse situation. I got qualified, did so at the request of the emergency organisation I was working for, but have never used it and am thinking of getting into ham radio.
Any advice for a newbie who understands all the theory but none of the practicalities would be appreciated, e.g. best first rig, which antenna I could build.
I have actually used HF, as my Tornado had it, but have never had my own set, build my own antenna, etc.
Maybe we need a new thread.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by llondel » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:49 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:40 am
I am in almost a reverse situation. I got qualified, did so at the request of the emergency organisation I was working for, but have never used it and am thinking of getting into ham radio.
Any advice for a newbie who understands all the theory but none of the practicalities would be appreciated, e.g. best first rig, which antenna I could build.
I have actually used HF, as my Tornado had it, but have never had my own set, build my own antenna, etc.
Maybe we need a new thread.
the only thing stopping me from getting a US licence is that I need to read up on all the regulatory stuff, because it's different from the UK version. Annoyingly, I have to do three different versions because I can't just go in and take the Extra class exam, I have to do the other two first, so I need to know all their restrictions.

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#55 Post by G~Man » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:02 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:40 am
I have actually used HF, as my Tornado had it,
My brother in law was a pilot on 5 Squadron.
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:21 pm

I got a Tech license back in the 90's when you still had to do Morse Code to get it.
OI still have a 2M/440 dual band handheld around somewhere.
I let my license lapse and never bothered to renew it.
When I was using the 2M I was doing packet and using phone patch capabilities out in the boonies on a TDY.

PP

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#57 Post by Dushan » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:02 pm

Another project under way...

We have heat pumps in our condo units and they consist of two parts. The actual heat pump which heats and cools via a centrally provided loop of hot/cold water and and an ERV (Environmental Recirculation Ventilator). The ERV has two small blower fans end it exchanges, continuously, air from outside in, and from inside out. These fans are on 24/7 and after 4 years the bearings in the motors are starting to go. One owner called the HVAC company and they told him the only solution is to replace the entire blower motor assembly at a cost of about $1,500. I told him to wait and have me look but he jumped the gun had the people come in and replace the motor assembly.

I took his old motor and opened it to see how complicated it would be to replace the bearing.
The motor has 2 608Z bearings, probably the most common bearing on earth. They cost about $8.00. I am going to pick up a dozen bearings as there are a few more that need replacement.

I recorded a YouTube video on how to replace the bearing:

I Fix Stuff.JPG

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by llondel » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:23 pm

In my spare time this week I've been chopping up a tree, replacing the wax ring on a toilet, fixing a dishwasher (broken heater element) and fixing a computer. I do try to keep up on the practical skills as much as possible, it does have the potential to save a lot of money.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#59 Post by Hydromet » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:53 pm

Dushan & Llondel, it really irks me when things that can be fixed are thrown out. Well done for repairing things that can be.
Many people are unable to repair things (I wouldn't touch anything electronic, wouldn't know where to start) but we have a mainly volunteer organisation, https://bower.org.au, that will repair things and either re-sell them or charge the owner a small fee.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#60 Post by Dushan » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:50 am

I recently saw a TV clip about a program in California, I think, where they have a bunch of guys like myself in a library basement once a week and people can bring small appliances and such to be repaired. Not everything is repairable, on the spot, but a large number of items is.
I am thinking of starting something like that in my small town.