Legal Insurance

General Chit Chat
unifoxos
Capt
Capt

Legal Insurance

#1 Post by unifoxos » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:12 am

We are being offered legal insurance cover as an extra every time we take out a car or house policy (and for all I know boat, aircraft, or anything else). I have always refused these but in our ever-increasingly litigous society I am wondering if these might be a worthwhile precaution.

So - has anybody had cause to use one of these - i.e. make a claim? Do the insurers refuse the claim by taking the position that everything is somehow excluded by a small print clause, do they just give you some small amount for you to pay a legal person, or are they a real help?
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Legal Insurance

#2 Post by OFSO » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:09 am

When I lived in Germany, legal (costs) insurance was very common. I had recourse to it a couple of times. The HUK insurance reimbursed the full invoice.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by k3k3 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:39 pm

Same here, I used the HUK Rechtsschutz twice in Germany, a stiff letter from a lawyer stopped potential nastiness in its tracks.

I haven't bothered with it since we came back to the UK.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Hydromet » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:00 pm

Haven't heard of it in Oz. I presume its insurance to cover your costs in case someone sues you?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by llondel » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:17 am

Hydromet wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:00 pm
Haven't heard of it in Oz. I presume its insurance to cover your costs in case someone sues you?
Sometimes you can use it to sue someone else, although I suspect that's based on how likely your insurance company's legal people think you are to win.