Flower Pot Irrigation

General Chit Chat
k3k3
Capt
Capt

Flower Pot Irrigation

#1 Post by k3k3 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:08 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with drip systems and timers, and could perhaps recommend a solution for our holiday in summer (we normally go off season so it's not such a problem).

I'll need to run two lines, one about 10 metres and the other 20 metres for a total of about 40 pots, eight of which have fruit trees in them. The two lines are needed to avoid trip hazards, the tap is at the beginning where the lines could split.

There is no mains power outside.

As I have little brain left simple solutions are preferable!

Thank you!

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Flower Pot Irrigation

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:47 pm

I have several 9V battery powered timers that I use.
One waters plants on the patio via a drip system and the other waters 4 citrus trees in my side yard.
Both attach to the hose bibs.

https://www.orbitonline.com/collections/hose-timers

This reminds me that I have to replace the batteries in both and reprogram them.

PP

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:52 pm

I would suggest a gravity fed solution.
It is much cheaper.

Most prepackaged watering systems (e.g. Orbit, above) are designed for pressurised systems, i.e. from mains water, and the fancy timers won't work with a low pressure, gravity system.
You can buy battery powered timers suitable for such low pressure systems. In fact they are about the cheapest.
Example: (from the Big River UK)
Aqualin Waterproof Water Timer Electronic Irrigation System Controller for Garden,Yard, Lawn With Delay Function

The run length you need should be fine for a low head, unpressurised system.
You'll need some form of container - I use 2 plastic food grade 55 gal drums I got from the back door of a food manufacturer. It will need to be raised somewhat.
You should be able to find all the drip stuff you need on Amazon also.
To size the system, you will need to work out the demand total for your plants. I use inches of water per week as the unit.
I imagine you are metric, so one litre of stored water gives 2.5 cm (1 inch) to an area of 0.04m^2, which is a 22cm diameter (9") round potsworth.
My veggies need an inch a week, stuff in pots needs about double that, fruit trees I think are more.
Your two main choices for drip feeding are either adjustable drips, which can be tuned for each plant, or fixed ones where you just fit more to each pot to get more delivery.
A standard 55 gal drum is 205 litres usable.
If you need more advice, PM me.
I have to recalculate my system as I am expanding it this year, so it will be no trouble to do your calcs too.

The other option is a battery powered timer on a pressurised system that does work off your mains water supply. I do not have experience of those.
However, any good garden centre does (that's what they use themselves) and you can probably find someone to advise you and sell you the stuff.

Do be sure that all the components are suitable for a UK system/hoses/taps/etc. Various bits of the world are different, but it's all made in China.
Just because it's sold in the UK doesn't mean they will sell you the right stuff. Check.

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by G~Man » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:26 pm

Come to California......Lots of people doing it here:

drip.jpg

.Prolly not what you meant though huh.... :D B-) :D
Attachments
drip 2.jpg
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Hydromet » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:52 am

Weird poppies you grow in CA, G~Man