JW

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

JW

#1 Post by OFSO » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:33 pm

I found a couple of not-so-young ladies fumbling at my gate switch this afternoon; when I appeared they thrust a religious tract into my outstretched hand and departed. To my first surprise, not a smidgen of Jehovas Witness evident, as the leaflet was labelled as produced by jw.org. But then looking more closely, I saw it was issued by Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society. An excellent example of rebranding......

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: JW

#2 Post by A Lutra Continua » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:43 am

Kinda hard on the 'rrhoids though....

Capetonian

#3 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:51 am

They are going through a process of rebranding and changing the way they approach people. A softer and less aggressive approach, by which people are encouraged to engage with them on a more mundane level before they come in with the hit. I was caught not long ago at a railway station, it was a few moments before I realised that they were JWs, at which I expressed my disinterest, wished them a good day, and walked on.

I don't have a problem with them, or any other religion, as long as they don't try and force their dogma down my throat. The JWs are pretty smart. A couple of years ago the usual couple appeared at my gate, I told them in my bad Polish that I only spoke Polish. Within a few days, a copy of the Polish equivalent of the Watchtower was in my mailbox.

Meantime, for those who have a problem, here's a solution :

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by 500N » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:01 am

I got caught soon after moving into my house, somehow they managed to get started on the spiel.

I managed to point out that I probably wasn't a good fit for them and they asked why so I told them.

At the time, I was very much - an atheist, gave blood, served in the military, hunted and killed animals,
believed in sex outside of marriage, divorce and abortion (women's choice) ...... and probably a few
more that I thought they'd be against.

It did kind of end the conversation but they were polite about it.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by ian16th » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:02 pm

I just tell 'em that I'm not superstitious.
Cynicism improves with age

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:02 pm

I have a much simpler method of getting rid of these kooks: when they ring the bell I show up at the door with an assault rifle. I didn't think JW adherents could run that fast. :)) :))
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

frostbite
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by frostbite » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:46 pm

The last JW couple that called here were mid 20s, simply wanted to invite me to a meeting, and she was a stunner.

If she had offered to sit on my lap I'd have gone.
Old enough to know better.

MoreAviation

#8 Post by MoreAviation » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:15 am

I don't have a problem with them, or any other religion, as long as they don't try and force their dogma down my throat. The JWs are pretty smart. A couple of years ago the usual couple appeared at my gate, I told them in my bad Polish that I only spoke Polish. Within a few days, a copy of the Polish equivalent of the Watchtower was in my mailbox.

Best way to get rid of them permanently is to simply tell them that you are a Catholic. Works better than garlic with vampires believe me!

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:17 pm

Went to school with a set of JW twins. They announced one morning that their father had sustained an injury to his ankle the previous afternoon whilst trying to sell copies of the Watch Tower. I didn't like to enlighten them to the fact that it was I that had slammed the front door onto his ankle. ...... =))
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by rgbrock1 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:30 pm

The 'Watch Tower'? Oh God, nooooo. Approx. 2 miles from my home is a JW 'retreat' with the same name. Which is one of the reasons why there is quite an influx of these freaks around these parts. Although I do have them trained to stay away from my address. :D
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:48 pm

I spent a nice 50 minutes flight seating next to the lady (youngish but nothing spectacular) and her husband who decided to give me a chat about JW. I did not have anything else to do so I gave her my attention. I firmly believe it is worth being polite with people so I give them some minutes if not in a hurry and so we are happy.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by BenThere » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:55 am

I'm not interested in JW either, yet.

But I think they are people who are trying to do good, and believe in what they are doing. They are sincere. I have no problem with that, and in fact, respect the time they give to their project of making a better world.

I'm always polite, and tell them I wish them well whenever they knock on my door. I certainly don't wish to display a lack of courtesy or disrespect to anyone trying to provide solutions to the moral, spiritual, and generally degenerative condition we in Western culture increasingly find ourselves surrounded by. They are generally good people. Give them a break.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by 500N » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:25 am

Since my post earlier, it just occurred to me that for years and years I have not had a calling card or
a magazine left at my house. And I know they are around as i have seen them recently.
Maybe I am on a list of do not visits.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:43 am

I don't consider JW's to be particularly sincere or caring; my school chums and their brother left at the age of 18 and were all ostracised by their parents. JW's have the bizarre belief that once blood leaves contact with the body it cannot go into a body; not even the one that it came from. During my nursing career I witnessed some awful situations involving critically I'll children of JW parents. Court orders saved the child's life, only to be totally rejected and abandoned by the parents. Hence my having no time for any of them however nice they are otherwise.
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.