Flight Tracker

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Flight Tracker

#1 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:16 am

I know that a number of folk here watch https://www.flightradar24.com quite often. I rarely do. But perhaps the more knowledgeable could explain why our daily JNB-MUB-JNB SAA (Air Link) and Air Bots flights do not show up on it. Or have I got some settings wrong.

SA-8300 leaves JNB 09.45Z BP212 09.10Z. They both arrive here at the same time around 11.10. This is absolutely marvelous as our terminal can only cope with one medium sized aircraft at a time. Our new runway will take wide bodied but it would take them all day to process the pax.

We pick up other flights in the FIR.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Capetonian

Re: Flight Tracker

#2 Post by Capetonian » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:54 am

It's to do with whether they have an ADS-B transponder (or something like that). I was in JER last week and right on the flight path onto the airfield, they were coming over us at about 800 feet. I noticed that a lot of the aircraft, Flybe's ATRs, the mail planes, and some others do not show up on FR24.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:16 am

Thanks Cape. That will be it. We are talking ATR and 146.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Wodrick » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:01 am

Possibly, although if you look at the history some days are greyed out i.e. no info, other days are recorded perfectly, so it also could be no radar or ADS-B on some days.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:06 am

SA8604 (RJ85) is showing right now on FR24 at FL330 420kts ETA 13:05local.

Perhaps there isn't a receiver in the vicinity of Maun? Just follow the flight to see where the system loses signal.

You could always volunteer! All you need is a receiver and an always-on internet link. FR24 may even provide you with the hardware if it closes a significant gap in their coverage.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:06 am

Signal from SA8604 disappeared as she descended through FL150 at 374kts about 20 nm from Maun.

Looks like a volunteer is needed to provide local coverage. Who could that possibly be? :-?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:33 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:06 am
Signal from SA8604 disappeared as she descended through FL150 at 374kts about 20 nm from Maun.

Looks like a volunteer is needed to provide local coverage. Who could that possibly be? :-?
That is about abeam us. Don't hear it come in but will listen for it on departure (ETD 12.00Z) it always comes past very close, then will see when it appears. We always sit port out bound and starboard inbound to get a view of Squiffy Pussy. Can't see the house for trees.

We are usually online 24 hrs a day but not for 3 months a year when in Greece so don't think that they will appreciate that.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#8 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:18 pm

SAA came past us at 12.11Z and on the screen at 12.14 but can't get any details on him. It could be our very slow Internet.

Edit: Got details 12.18. No sign of the Air Bots flight though. Do not hear that so do not know if he has departed yet.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#9 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:21 am

We have an additional earlier SAA flight MUB to JNB on Sundays. Heard him pass by. Went onto Flight Tracker. He didn't show for some minutes and then came up as unidentified.

I think that it is a combination of things that doesn't show up these things. Air Bots never shows up. I think as Cape says, wrong type of transponder.
Attachments
Airlink.jpg
Airlink.jpg (40.33 KiB) Viewed 2178 times

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:47 am

I'm pretty sure that the problem is the paucity of MLAT receivers in so much of Africa outside RSA.

To get a fix on a Mode C requires an absolute minimum of three well placed receivers, preferably four or more. It's a hyperbolic fixing system, so the geometry is a bit complicated, but the basic principle needs plenty of well-spaced receivers on the network.

I can see that there is a bloody great big hole in the network in Botswana and I'm sure that your location would be ideal for a (free) station if you can mount an antenna on your roof. Have a look at the FR24 website for details of how to apply for a receiver.

https://www.flightradar24.com/apply-for-receiver

I would guess that your three or four month absence each year would be weighed up against the significant advantage to the network of having a station online for most of the time. There appears to have been one in Maun in the past, but having another one a couple of dozen miles away would be a valuable addition to the overall network. As a perk, they'll give you a superdooper membership which normally costs a few hundred bucks a year in subscription fees.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:39 am

Thanks UP I have applied. It seems that you do not need a PC on all the time. We have satellite Internet on all the time we are away to monitor our solar power system and management of pumps and generators so there will be a continual service for the tracker system.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:31 am

Excellent news, Ascot! :YMAPPLAUSE: A good score for Ops-Normal, I'd say.

I'm sure your altruism will improve coverage for up to a hundred mile radius around you and might even encourage some others in North Bots to join some dots on the invisible hyperbolic curves in the sky.

A few years ago there was a documentary about some sprog CPLs who were blowing the ink dry on their licences while applying to local bush outfits in Maun for a first job on piston singles. Doubtless the prog will be being shown on one of those endless repeat channels, so I guess some people around the world will have a wee keek at FR24 to have a gander at what is going on in that corner of the world.

More seriously, it might even encourage some of those posh resorts in the Delta to consider hooking up one of those tracking gizmos so they can watch their own incoming flights who are probably squawking on Mode C. Get a few stations like that and it could even end up being a bit of a safety aid in an area where primary radar coverage is piss-poor or non-existent.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#13 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:17 pm

UP, one was approached and appointed aviation consultant for said documentary (Bush Pilots) by the Director/Producer or whatever he was forget his name. One lasted a week. He wanted danger and drama. I said that it would ruin our tourism industry and forbid him to film anything even vaguely dodgy. Most folk here on luxury safaris fly light aircraft into the bush. The owner of Mack Air the main charter company here would only let him film in the offices not even an aircraft on start up if it chucked out any smoke. The only company that would allow him to film 'drama' was Moremi Air who have killed more passengers here in the last ten years than any other charter company in the Delta. I am still in contact with one of the 'stars' of the documentary. He was at St Andrews with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. They filmed his interview with Wilderness Air. The first thing the Chief Pilot said was, 'tell us a joke'. He said 'What is the difference between God and a pilot?' Reply, 'God doesn't think that he is a pilot' He got the job.

All the air charter company a/c here just squawk 2000 around the bush so would not show up. Most camps do not have Internet, like us they are all off grid.

Many a/c here now have basic TCAS. Give a warning but no avoidance action. It is good enough. Also the pilots are very good at reporting positions on the general frequency when approaching a strip. Don't think that we have ever had a mid air here apart from birdies.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:19 am

Good on you Ex-Ascot for bringing greater coverage to the Maun area.

Caco

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#15 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:46 am

Cacophonix wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:19 am
Good on you Ex-Ascot for bringing greater coverage to the Maun area.

Caco
Well my application hasn't been accepted yet. I have filed their detailed application form now. The problem is trees. Difficult to find a position for the antennae which is not screened.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Woody » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:03 am

I watched Bush Pilots with PaWoody, as he got his CPL flying around Blackpool Tower and he could remember making similar mistakes , seem to remember that most of the newbies were aiming for the sandpit B-)

Edit- found it
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#17 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:09 am

Yes well, you can see why I was dismissed as their aviation consultant. Clients freak out when stepping off their 747 or 380 at JNB and see a twin prop ATR to go to MUB. Imagine their response when they see a 206 here to go to their camp. This sensational garbage was detrimental to our tourism industry. The producer didn't give a *****. Fortunately it wasn't widely broadcast and the planned follow up sequel never happened.

Thanks for that Woody. Never seen a whole episode. We know practically everyone featured. It has all changed now. No wanabees hanging around. 500 hrs minimum for non local. Just a bunch of local non reflective kids fresh out of our new flying school in Gabs with the abilities of a Maun taxi driver. We refuse to fly with them. The air charter company we use has a way around keeping these so called pilots on.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:54 pm

my application hasn't been accepted yet. I have filed their detailed application form now.

Did you hear back from them?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#19 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:24 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:54 pm
my application hasn't been accepted yet. I have filed their detailed application form now.

Did you hear back from them?
Sorry UP missed this. No. I am not pursuing it. Not bothered one way or the other. We may have a bit of a tree problem for the antenna here anyway. Also very slow Internet. Not sure it would work.