Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Airfield superintendent - job vacancy in Orkney

#1 Post by ricardian » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:02 pm

Job opportunity in Orkney
Airfield Superintendent
35 hours per week
Permanent
£44,295 - £46,850 (including Distant Islands Allowance)
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Airfield superintendent - job vacancy in Orkney

#2 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:03 pm

Can you claim free travel?

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:47 pm

You will be educated to at least SVQ Level 3 or equivalent
In my ignorance I have no idea what that qualification is - would my 9 'O' Levels from 1960 be okay?
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:48 pm

Only if you are 'diverse'............

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:28 am

In my ignorance I have no idea what that qualification is - would my 9 'O' Levels from 1960 be okay?
You are missing the point in what you have said, though I expect you suspect it by asking the question.
The entire purpose of qualification levels is to exclude old people without falling foul of the age discrimination laws.
You have Level 2 qualifications.
Whatever your qualification level, you will always be one level short of what you used to need for any particular job.
Anyone qualifying since 2000 has had their modern qualification upgraded a level, even though theirs is in reality a lot easier to get.
The same trick at degree level is achieved by bumping up the required grade. If by some chance you were one of the 5% to get a First in your generation, as opposed to the 50% who get it out of the cornflakes packet now, there will be another clause which catches you out.

And to answer the question about "Okay?", No.
You will know more than your boss. And by being old you will be better trained, more experienced, and have some backbone too. They hate that, all of that. Which is why old people must be excluded.
Your job description will require you to point out safety failings, inefficiencies, and corruption. The very last thing they actually want is for you to do this, partly because your boss will be responsible for all the aforementioned faults, partly because s/he can't fix them, but mostly because if by some miracle anyone higher up listened, you would have to get your boss's job.
Of course, if you don't point them out, you will be blamed when the consequences of such happen, because it's your responsibility to do so - although of course you never get the authority to effect your responsibilities. ;)))

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:51 am

My wife trained as a librarian, with a diploma in librarianship from the Poly when she was a teenager.
After taking time out for children, she took a degree in library studies at the (by then) University, but when she sought work as a shelver she was told that she didn't possess the right (City and Guilds) qualification and had to attend Further Education College for re-education before she was allowed to shelve returned-books!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:21 am

Because they kept changing the requirements, and also delaying each application I made until the next change made my last one invalid, I ended up having to take a shorebased yachtmaster ocean course. Fortunately one of my ex-Navy colleagues was teaching it at the local poly as a nightschool. The farce was that he had to take 2 weeks off in the middle for family reasons, so I taught the course for those two weeks. And that was legal!

Degree in Physics, Nuclear weapons employment course, Nuclear warfare instructor....had to take a day's course to handle school sources safely.

Had to do a Range Safety Course for Cadets Q: "On what weapon do you have the most experience?" Me:"27mm cannon"

etc.
I could go on for hours. It's ludicrous.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:28 pm

I guess as a retired RAF ATCO I also don't qualify for the job. =)) =)) =))
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:56 pm

Nope, but you'd get it anyway, as BOAC pointed out, because you're female and your application would have a return address in Botswana ;)))

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#10 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:19 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:56 pm
Nope, but you'd get it anyway, as BOAC pointed out, because you're female and your application would have a return address in Botswana ;)))
Probably, as she is SVQ4 but we need to black her up to be woke.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.