Software I first wrote in 1992 (ish) is still demonstrated on the 'Net!

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Software I first wrote in 1992 (ish) is still demonstrated on the 'Net!

#1 Post by John Hill » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:23 pm

https://www.cnd.co.nz/atis.htm

This is the terminal information system which broadcasts current weather conditions and air traffic control information to arriving and departing aircraft.

The original sound library consisted of thousands of pre-recorded words and phrases, later we changed to synthetic speech. The two listen buttons demonstrate this.

Information to be broadcast was all sourced from various digital circuits including teletypes.

I did a few other projects for aviation including flight briefing, NOTAM data base, facility monitoring and AFTN messaging. (If you want to file your flight plan in Morse Code I could supply the necessary software!).

One of my earliest projects was to convert 5 figure group broadcasts of grid winds and temps to a graphics printer, unfortunately too late for any commercial benefit .
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Software I first wrote in 1992 (ish) is still demonstrated on the 'Net!

#2 Post by John Hill » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:30 pm

One of the last places we installed the Volmet software was Cairo and you can hear a recording (10 years old) here https://soundcloud.com/mr-dxer/cairo-vo ... -200-14-20

Unfortunately I do not recognize the voice and I am unable to confirm this is our software but it certainly sounds to be the same technique (pre-recorded words and phrases).

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Software I first wrote in 1992 (ish) is still demonstrated on the 'Net!

#3 Post by John Hill » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:45 pm

It sounds like they are still using my VOLMET software to broadcast weather information on HF frequencies to aircraft in the Auckland Flight Information Region (IIRC that is about 15% of earth's surface).