Extra functionality

admin
Chief Engineer

Extra functionality

#1 Post by admin » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:17 am

Just added some extra functionality for your delectation. :)

I have this stoopid MS keyboard with funny keys that if inadvertently so much as looked at will instantly dump everything I have been working on, sometimes for hours. You know the ones between the Ctrl key and the Space key on both sides. Have had this happen twice in the last few days, not a happy girl. So we now have an Auto-save function.

Everything typed in a text box will be automatically saved to the draft list every twenty seconds. Even if your browser crashes completely it will still be saved in a local cache on your computer. The list cache is automatically purged of drafts over 30 days old. If you right click on the text area you will find an entry "Open Text Area Cache Window". Even if you lose your connection or pull the plug, your composition will still be saved. Enjoy.

Alison
PS. One slight "glitch". If after posting to a forum, say like TRABB, and you go to make another post there it will resurrect your previous post from the draft cache. The draft cache doesn't know that you submitted your previous compilation and assumes you are still working on it. Win some - lose some.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Extra functionality

#2 Post by Boac » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:05 am

Alison - on my system (Firefox) the function only appears to work in 'Full Editor' mode, and I do not get the 'right click' option, just the 3 new boxes under the window.

Is there an option in Markus's mod to delete the saved draft?

Last question - I cannot find a UCP function to allow 'Full Editor' as a preference - is it do-able?

admin
Chief Engineer

#3 Post by admin » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:00 am

Boac, just start typing in the Quick Reply text area, and then once you have a line or so, right click with the cursor over the text area and you should get an entry in the dynamic pop-up menu that says "Open Textarea Cache Window". As for the others I will look when I have a bit more time.

Alison

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:18 am

Not seeing that popup. Perhaps someone else can test?

admin
Chief Engineer

#5 Post by admin » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:01 am

Boac, on right clicking with the cursor in the text area, and selecting "Open Textarea Cache Window" I get this. Note at the time of right clicking the Cursor must be within the textarea.

dialog.jpg
dialog.jpg (18.98 KiB) Viewed 2397 times

Admin
PS Boac you say you are not seeing the popup. The popup I refer to is the right click menu that presents whenever you right click on a site page. Within that menu is the item "Open Textarea Cache Window". You will be familiar with the popup menu when copying the location of an image for instance.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Boac » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:43 am

I must be missing some browser setting, I guess. Only RC popup window I get is 'standard' Win10.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Boac » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:44 pm

Alison - here's my picture in Full editor, zilch in normal.
ON.jpg

admin
Chief Engineer

#8 Post by admin » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:45 pm

Boac, in full editor mode as displayed the auto-save facility saves content in the text box every 20 seconds. Should you inadvertently lose everything clicking on the "Load Draft" button will give you a list of drafts that have been saved. Even if all power had been lost in the intervening time. The User can initiate a save by clicking the "Save Quick Draft" button.

In Quick Reply Mode, text in the text box is still saved every 20 seconds, but is only accessible in Quick Reply Mode by right clicking whilst the cursor is positioned within the text box and selecting "Open Textarea Cache Window" from the dynamic pop-up menu. This dynamic pop-up menu changes as a function of the location of the cursor within the page. If the cursor is over an image then you get the options to save the image, save the location of the image etc. This is in Win 7. So to with a Text Box within a dialog.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Boac » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:30 pm

As I said, "zilch in normal." and no apparent option to 'Empty the cache' as per your image. This in Win10.

admin
Chief Engineer

#10 Post by admin » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:49 pm

When you move the cursor over an image and do the equivalent of a right click do you get the dynamic pop-up menu similar to Win 7? View image, copy image, copy image location, save image as...... etc. and if over a link, open link in new tab, open link in new window, .....bookmark this link, etc.

Admin

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Boac » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:19 am

Yes - exactly the same. I see I can also delete each cached text from 'Full Editor Load Draft' but I am missing the 'TextArea Cache Window' you show.

admin
Chief Engineer

#12 Post by admin » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:59 am

The 'Open TextArea Cache Window'" should be an entry in the pop-up menu that otherwise shows if the cursor is over an image "View image, copy image, copy image location, save image as...... etc. and if over a link, open link in new tab, open link in new window, .....bookmark this link, etc."

I have "Undo, Cut, Copy, Paste, Select All, etc." plus 'Open TextArea Cache Window'" down the bottom when the cursor is over the text area.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Boac » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:00 am

I understand, but I am missing " 'Open TextArea Cache Window'" "

admin
Chief Engineer

#14 Post by admin » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:55 am

I suspect there may be some restriction on individual websites modifying menus within Firefox. Probably a parameter in the About::config area. I'm running Firefox 47.0.1. not that I think that should make a difference.

Alison

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Boac » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:23 pm

More Aviation

#16 Post by More Aviation » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:50 pm

Very useful feature.

Mercy buckets.

MA