Australian Double Glazing

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Australian Double Glazing

#1 Post by Alisoncc » Sun May 06, 2018 1:04 am

"Australian energy efficient houses" is an oxymoron. Energy efficiency is an unknown phrase in the Australian construction industry. Nevertheless us mortals have to live with it. So I have just double glazed my townhouse as winter is rapidly approaching.

What is needed is a wide roll of large-bubble bubblewrap, preferably clear but light green is acceptable, a straight edge, a cutting implement and a cutting board.

bw1.jpg
bw1.jpg (43.99 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
A tape measure and wide plastic basin will also help.

Measure the precise size of the glass pane in a window. Cut the bubblewrap to size, thoroughly immerse it in water in the basin and then whilst dripping offer it up to the previously mentioned pane flat side to the window. Smooth out so that all areas of the bubblewrap are in contact with the glass, and leave it to dry. Simple. Repeat until all windows are covered.

It will stick for the duration of winter without any glue or adhesive. Making cleaning up at the end of winter easy - just wipe the windows down.

bw2.jpg
bw2.jpg (52.2 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
bw3.jpg
bw3.jpg (34.94 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
Not only do the air bubbles act as a good insulator, keeping the cold out, but it also provides some degree of sound proofing for those in noisy areas. Shown above my kitchen and lounge windows so adorned. All up I've done six quite large windows. :-bd

Alison
PS It goes on the inside of the window. Outside it will blow away. After a while if it appears to be peeling off just dampen with a sponge and restick.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Sisemen

Re: Australian Double Glazing

#2 Post by Sisemen » Sun May 06, 2018 1:32 am

Just had my new house built and equipped it with double glazing. Wanted imported European UPVC installed but was persuaded, against my better judgement, to go with a local Australian manufacturer. It is quite the most crap product that I have ever seen.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Alisoncc » Sun May 06, 2018 2:26 am

You can always try my bubblewrap trick Sise. Overnight temps already starting to drop here, well down into single digits. I know it's not cold by Canuk standards, but ... Can feel the difference with the "double glazing" already.

Alison

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by OFSO » Tue May 08, 2018 9:48 am

How does one avoid the temptation of popping the bubbles ? With kids around wouldn't last a week !

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Alisoncc » Tue May 08, 2018 5:00 pm

OFSO, a neighbour who followed my example inadvertently trod on the loose bubble-wrap from his roll when cutting to size. You can see the footprint of burst bubbles in the middle of one of his windows. :((

Alison