If former forum member hawkerj96 is still visiting, please contact admin as we have a new member who wishes to contact you about John Hawke

Rugby

Whether a participant or, dare I say it, a spectator - enjoy.
TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rugby

#161 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:37 am

Went to ITVX for the second half...
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#162 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:00 pm

Will watch the England Italy game today but if England can't subdue Italy then there is no hope. Unlikely that there will be an upset though in my opinion but to voice such an opinion is often fatal to the favourites.
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#163 Post by FD2 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:28 pm

Well, England managed that one, with the usual hysterical overreactions at the win. Still a win is a win, even against Italy. ;))) :YMPARTY:
Willis.png
Willis.png (88.67 KiB) Viewed 3745 times

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#164 Post by Woody » Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:51 pm

Posting this purely because Wales are bottom :-bd

When all else fails, read the instructions.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#165 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:00 pm

FD2 wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:28 pm
Well, England managed that one, with the usual hysterical overreactions at the win. Still a win is a win, even against Italy. ;))) :YMPARTY:
England, have the basis of a winning team (and money and talent in spades) but I can't see them anywhere in the current Six Nations competition. Maybe the longer game will bring them back into contention in the next World Cup.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#166 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:44 am

England travel to Wales on Saturday hoping to end a six-year wait for a win in Cardiff.

Having kickstarted their campaign with a bonus-point win against Italy, another positive result at Principality Stadium would have them firmly in the race for the Championship.

Meanwhile, Wales boss Warren Gatland is looking for the first triumph of his second spell in charge following defeats to Ireland and Scotland.

Gatland’s opposite number Steve Borthwick captained England to victory over Wales in 2010 and the former second is now hoping to repeat the feat for the first time as head coach.

But England have not travelled well to the Welsh capital in recent times, winning on just two occasions since 2011.
https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/preview ... -4#preview

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#167 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:41 pm

Italy are giving the Irish a hard time of it...

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#168 Post by Woody » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:51 pm

ffrench referee :-o

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#169 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:28 pm

Woody wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:51 pm
ffrench referee :-o
What are you complaining about. You won! ;)))

Allez les bleus!

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#170 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:49 pm

England v France 16:45 today.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#171 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:34 pm

That was a truly lamentable performance by England.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#172 Post by Woody » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:09 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:49 pm
England v France 16:45 today.
Worse than that it was 10.53 :ymsick:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#173 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:12 pm

I liked the French try where the openside flanker changed direction and ran through the England back for the line, rather than bothering to go around him.
Shades of Jonah Lomu.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#174 Post by Karearea » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:20 pm

Heavens! that escalated quickly - when I last heard it was 10-34!
"And to think that it's the same dear old Moon..."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#175 Post by Woody » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:03 pm

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#176 Post by Woody » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:18 pm

They’ve corrected the spelling error now :ymdevil:

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#177 Post by Ibbie » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:43 am

Borthwick's time is up.

New England Manager required pdq.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Springboks trounce Australia 43-12

#178 Post by OneHungLow » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:37 pm

Most satisfying!

Eddie Jones must be crying into his Wasabi tonight.

https://www.planetrugby.com/news/watch- ... -cut-loose

Kurt-Lee Arendse... :ymcowboy: ^:)^
The observer of fools in military south and north...

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Springboks trounce Australia 43-12

#179 Post by OneHungLow » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:09 am

OneHungLow wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:37 pm
Most satisfying!

Eddie Jones must be crying into his Wasabi tonight.
Eddie Jones was involved in a heated verbal altercation with a South African reporter after the Wallabies suffered a nightmare 43-12 defeat to the Springboks on Saturday night that the new Australian coach said felt worse than a 92-3 Super Rugby defeat here 16 years ago.

The return of Jones as Wallabies coach started in disastrous fashion against a Springboks side that rested a dozen of its best players.

A 17-5 half-time deficit became much worse for Australia as the men in gold failed to end a 60-year hoodoo in Pretoria following a six-tries-to-two thrashing in their Rugby Championship opener.

It was the Wallabies’ second-heaviest defeat to South Africa in Pretoria and worst loss to the Springboks since 2008.

After months of meticulous planning to get this Wallabies side as sharp as possible for their first Test of the year, things unravelled rapidly at Loftus Versfeld Stadium in front of 50,089 predominantly Springboks fans.

Jones made no excuses for the defeat and is adamant the Wallabies can rebound quickly – their next test is against Argentina on Saturday in Sydney – but took offence at a question from a local journalist afterwards.

The reporter asked: “Eddie, you expressed your disappointment in the week that you weren’t playing the first-choice Springboks side. Is that a bit of relief now?”

Before Australia left for South Africa, Jones said he hoped the Springboks would pick their best team. It turns out they did not, instead sending more than a dozen players early to New Zealand for their test against the All Blacks next week.

“South Africans are good at winning. You don’t have to be a smartarse mate,” Jones said at his press conference.

“We were well and truly beaten today by a Springboks side that old mate is calling the B-team, right? I never knew there was a Springboks side that was called the B-team.”

After the press conference, Jones walked towards the reporter and berated him.

“You don’t have to be a smartarse mate,” Jones said again. “You should have more respect mate. I never said that mate. I said we always want to play the best. Show some respect.”

Jones has only had the best part of two weeks with his entire Wallabies squad and it showed as they were outclassed in almost every facet of the game.

Of course, there will be growing pains, but this opening examination was quite the reality check.

“We were outplayed everywhere,” Jones said. “We got beaten at the set-piece, got beaten at the gain-line, got beaten in the air.

“The only positive from the game was the first 20 minutes, where we tried to play with a bit of pace, we tried to shift turnover ball and we looked dangerous. We weren’t able to sustain that effort.

“Really disappointing. No excuses. We’ve got a realistic appraisal of where we are.”

Pretoria hasn’t been a happy place for Jones, who coached the Queensland Reds in a famous 92-3 defeat in 2007.

Asked where this loss ranked from his games in Pretoria, Jones replied, “worst one”. “We can read a lot into it and it’s not good reading,” he said.

Suliasi Vunivalu, in his first run-on start, was kept relatively quiet. The winger had minimal chances in open space, made 23 metres from four carries and sat out the last 10 minutes of the match due to a yellow card.

“He had some good parts,” Jones said. “When you’re playing off scarce possession and you’re playing against a team that is dominating territory … I’d never take too much into consideration (about) their performance.”

Australia were quick to silence a loud crowd in Pretoria when Marika Koroibete flew into fifth gear down the left wing to score a sensational five-pointer in the eighth minute that started from a lovely long pass courtesy of Quade Cooper.

That was as good as it got.

It was all one-way traffic for the remainder of the match as Kurt-Lee Arendse gave the home side a 10-5 lead before Vunivalu dived helplessly out wide to try and stop a three-on-two overlap on the blindside of a scrum.

Reece Hodge left eight points out on the field in the first half – he missed a conversion and two long-range penalties – as the Springboks gathered momentum and punished a Wallabies outfit who looked to be struggling at altitude.

When debutant Tom Hooper left the field in the 32nd minute with a shoulder injury, the Wallabies trailed 17-5 and were getting bashed at the breakdown.

Australia needed a response in the second half but weren’t helped when Len Ikitau, who had practised his exit kicks all week, booted out on the full.

Moments later, Arendse crashed over for his third try down the left edge before Australia’s woes were compounded with another couple of tries and Dave Porecki copped a yellow card.

Bench players Zane Zonggorr, Richie Arnold and Carter Gordon all made it onto the field for their debuts, with the latter throwing a forward pass.

Gordon, however, scored a long-range try after the full-time siren to get the Wallabies into double digits on a sobering night in enemy territory.

“Most of the areas in the game we lost,” said Wallabies co-captain James Slipper. “We weren’t good enough. We started well but when we lost momentum and the pressure came on we didn’t deal with it enough.”

Before the match, Jones told Wallabies fans this fixture would be “better than the Ashes”.

It was far from that. He has a lot of work to do before the World Cup begins in two months.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/int ... oeful-loss
The observer of fools in military south and north...

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#180 Post by Woody » Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:56 am

Looking forward to the Bokke v All Blacks at Twickenham next month :-bd