Golf

Whether a participant or, dare I say it, a spectator - enjoy.
Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Golf

#1 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:47 am

As an avid golfer looked around and thought there's nowhere here where I can rabbit on about my favourite pastime. Hence a sport forum.

Where I live on the Mornington Penisinsula, South of Melbourne Oz, there are 25 golf courses within an hours easy driving distance with many offering public access. I've played at least two thirds of them, walking the courses. Getting to be a fair weather golfer these days. Only a few years ago, two in fact, I was playing ladies pennants for my club and one match against another district club started at 08:30am and finished at 12:30, and the heavens opened up for the whole four hours. By time we finished you could wring water out of our clothes. Two of our team went down with bronchitis and were out of action for weeks. Don't do that now, but it's not for want of being tempted.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

421dog
Snr FO
Snr FO
Re: Golf

#2 Post by 421dog » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:01 am

Played yesterday in , what we upper Midwest wilting flowers consider "Blistering Heat" (around 90f). We never once saw the libations bunny.

A near death experience.

421dog
Snr FO
Snr FO

#3 Post by 421dog » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:54 pm

Played the short course today with my wife and kids, wife and daughter lasted two holes, (hot again) but my 8 year old son decided to forgo the swimming pool and a Labor Day petting zoo to carry on through the entire round. It was worth the sweating to watch him shank one about 20 feet and then say "Daddy, I know what I did, my left arm wasn't straight and I swung back too far. I get a do over, right?"

As a guy who, until recently, viewed golf as the epitome of wasted fishing time, this is fun.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:04 am

421dog, just had to work out what 90 degF is in real measurements. Yup, that's getting to be warm. We have a hot weather local rule that says over 35 degC (95 degF) competitors can refuse to play in a comp without incurring any penalties other than being DQ'd from that particular comp.

I played regularly from 1975-85 and then gave it up for 25 years, restarting in 2010, and have averaged at least two games of 18 holes a week ever since. And that's walking the course, not into racing around in a cart. When I look around the club room after a mixed comp on Saturdays there would be a hundred plus members with an average age of 65 - men and women, with quite a few well into their seventies. It's quite amazing when you think that they have just participated in a competitive sport that lasted four hours or so.

One woman I used to partner regularly played in an exhibition hockey match for Australia in the 1948 London Olympics, and she still walks the course. Only hope I can still walk the course when I am 86.

Alison

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Ibbie » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:18 am

The Walker Cup at Royal Lytham & St Anne's was a good watch over the weekend, with Great Britain and Ireland winning 16 and a half to the USA's 9 and a half.

TWT
Snr FO
Snr FO

#6 Post by TWT » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:19 pm

I'm working on the PGA tournament at Natadola Bay in Fiji next month.Is that a big one,or just a so-so event ?

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:26 am

Just a so-so event as they haven't invited me to play. :D

Played well this morning. On the par 4 2nd hole I hit a magnificient 2nd shot with a 3 Hybrid to within 3 ft of the pin. Magic. Missed the putt for a birdie, but.....

The secret to enjoyable golf is to forget all the bad shots and just remember the good ones. That way you get to keep coming back. And it was a truly beautful day - clear blue skies, temp mid twenties, just a breath of wind and good company.

TWT
Snr FO
Snr FO

#8 Post by TWT » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:16 pm

At least the Fiji national hero,Vijay SIngh will be there.My late father was golf mad.One of his golfing partners was also the funeral director,who unilaterally chose to put a golf ball in Dad's hand in his casket before burial.Nice touch,much appreciated by all.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:32 am

Peter Senior at 56 yrs old leads the Australian Masters by three strokes. Brillant golf. So much for all the ankle-biters with delusions of glory. ^:)^

Alison

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Fliegenmong » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:51 am

I watched Peter Senior (really nice down to earth guy actually) one day at the Hope Island Golf Course driving range. He was hitting a bucket of balls with a 5 or 7 Iron..can't remember which....but the accuracy of each hit was what astounded me.....every single shot was within a few meters of each other....

I guess that;s the way...don't try to hit the skin off the ball....play every stroke similarly...and you know just how far each club will get you....
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Ibbie » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:22 pm

Scottish Open starts tomorrow.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:14 am

Tee hee. Sergio Garcia, the defending champion, puts five balls into the water on one hole during the first round of the US Masters. I have never done that, mainly because I rarely carry four spare golf balls, so give up after four. Was supposed to play this morning, but stayed home watching the golf on the box. Do people still call it a box? Not the same "stayed home watching golf on the panel".

Alison

Seenenough

#13 Post by Seenenough » Fri May 11, 2018 4:36 am

Alison,I have been fortunate and blessed enough in my life that I have stood on the sacred ground in Augusta on two occasions.The "Box" does not properly show the extreme challenge that the players face from the 11th to the 15th holes.

PS I have a daughter who lives in Melbourne just near Albert Park.I hope to visit soon and try out some courses nearby.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Alisoncc » Sun May 13, 2018 10:45 pm

Seenenough wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:36 am
PS. I have a daughter who lives in Melbourne just near Albert Park. I hope to visit soon and try out some courses nearby.
SeenE, there are a multitude of courses available. I lived on the Mornington Peninsula - south of Melbourne, and within an hours driving distance from my place I had 25 courses to choose from. I've played at least two thirds of them.

Alison

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:29 am

Visitor on the path behind the third tee yesterday. Not exactly a croc, but a very healthy looking Blue Tongue lizard.

BlueTongueLiz.jpg
BlueTongueLiz.jpg (67.74 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
Alison

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Woody » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:01 am

Air France cock up surprise :D
Graeme McDowell has pulled out of Tuesday's Open Championship qualifier at St Annes after losing his clubs following a flight from France.

The 2010 US Open champion appealed for help from Air France on Monday but his clubs failed to arrive at Manchester Airport.

"I cannot give 100% without my own equipment which has been mishandled by Air France," said McDowell on Twitter.

McDowell will travel home to Ireland on Tuesday for this week's Irish Open.

He will have further opportunities to secure his Carnoustie berth at the Ballyliffin event and next week's Scottish Open with three spots available at both tournaments for the leading non-exempt players who secure top-10 finishes.

McDowell added: "Lots of you wanting to know why I don't grab a set off the rack and give it my best shot to get in the Open.

"Of course I could do this but wouldn't be firing on all cylinders and there are six spots up for grabs over the next two weeks."

Earlier McDowell said that he had established that his clubs were "in the black hole known as Charles de Gaulle [Airport]."
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#17 Post by Smeagol » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:34 pm

Played Great Yarmouth & Caister today and managed the best score ever on that course, 40 Stableford points (84 gross) off 17.
For those not familiar with GY&CGC it is a true seaside links course with lots of gorse waiting to trap any wayward shots. Most enjoyable if one is hitting the ball straight - which I was with just the one exception.
I wonder if I can keep the form going until next week when I have the Quarter finals of a match play competition at my home club? My opponent has to give me 12 strokes as he is a 5 handicapper so who knows?
We hates Bagginses!

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by ian16th » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:45 am

I must 1st declare the truth.

I have NEVER played a round of golf.

One of the things that put me off was that all of the scoring systems seem to be organised in a manner to stop the best player winning!
Cynicism improves with age

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Woody » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:32 am

I don’t play either, but with headlines like this, I might start to be interested :ymdevil:
Ladies French Open: Swedish teenager Julia Engstrom leads after first round
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:00 am

My golf course and club

Heads.jpg
Heads.jpg (54.5 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
Heads2.jpg
Heads2.jpg (66.49 KiB) Viewed 2029 times

Alison