Cycling

Whether a participant or, dare I say it, a spectator - enjoy.
rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Cycling

#21 Post by rgbrock1 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:47 pm

chksix wrote:And I'm 48 or thereabouts...

Ah, an even younger whipper-snapper. I recall being 48. Sort of. :D :D
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

chksix
FO
FO

#22 Post by chksix » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:18 pm

:D B-)

glad rag
CPL
CPL

#23 Post by glad rag » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:45 am

Hmm, I've a short route around part of the Carse of Gowrie that I use when at home, not much, but it gives me a bit of exercise over three surface types and a bit of a climb to negotiate, fresh air and mostly off road/segregated from traffic...
The sands of time are running low...

glad rag
CPL
CPL

#24 Post by glad rag » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:46 am

bangshead

glad rag
CPL
CPL

#25 Post by glad rag » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:47 am

double post

glad rag
CPL
CPL

#26 Post by glad rag » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:48 am

duplicate post sloooooooooooow internet.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#27 Post by reddo » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:15 pm

Opened the blind this morning and nearly went back to bed. However, I was meeting some mates for a ride at Chicksands. Bloody glad I went. Had a play at the Bike Park, and then did a cross country loop. A cheeky 30 min blat. A lot of shelter amongst the trees so the full effects of the gale were nullified. Back to the park and finally did the Bull Run. :D Yay.

Who else went out?

reddo
Capt
Capt

#28 Post by reddo » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:04 pm

Went out for a social ride around Grafham Waters with some like minded folks. No rain and rather warm for this time of year. Pleasant day out and the big fella enjoyed it too. Happy days.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by rgbrock1 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:26 pm

reddo wrote:Went out for a social ride around Grafham Waters with some like minded folks. No rain and rather warm for this time of year. Pleasant day out and the big fella enjoyed it too. Happy days.

Envious. It's been unusually warm so far this fall these parts but due to my work schedule have been unable to get out on the road. Would you know it this past weekend, although I had the time, the daytime temp. was just over freezing. Oh well. Is it Spring yet? :D

chksix
FO
FO

#30 Post by chksix » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:05 pm

ugglis.jpg
ugglis.jpg (69.92 KiB) Viewed 2433 times

reddo
Capt
Capt

#31 Post by reddo » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:48 pm

Yep, just back from Australia. I borrowed my FIL's bike and tackled some of the routes in Tewantin National park. Woo hoo. Missed my bike but still had a lot of fun.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by Fliegenmong » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:46 am

I was wiped out by a truck wing mirror in high school while riding a bike....right humerous snapped clean in two, near compound fracture... spent three days in hospital waiting for the bruising to subside sufficicently in order to get a pin through it.....

I do 'Spin' classes now....no idiots trying to kill you by way of a violent road trauma death.......
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

reddo
Capt
Capt

#33 Post by reddo » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:23 pm

Also one of the reasons why I tend to do more MTB than road riding. First ride of the year in the UK on Saturday. Good little XC blast. Quite pleased with the hill climbs (as in got up them) and the descents went well too. Used a tip I read about with body position. Instead of just hanging as far back as possible, also dropped down too. (Had the heels down already). Worked wrt balance and control. :)

Managed to do the Bull Run twice at Chicksands. No, I don't do the new mega drop and jump (stuff that for a joke) but got down the first part of the Snake Run first and then went over to the Bull Run. Happy with that progress. :)

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by rgbrock1 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:03 pm

reddo wrote:Also one of the reasons why I tend to do more MTB than road riding. First ride of the year in the UK on Saturday. Good little XC blast. Quite pleased with the hill climbs (as in got up them) and the descents went well too. Used a tip I read about with body position. Instead of just hanging as far back as possible, also dropped down too. (Had the heels down already). Worked wrt balance and control. :)

Managed to do the Bull Run twice at Chicksands. No, I don't do the new mega drop and jump (stuff that for a joke) but got down the first part of the Snake Run first and then went over to the Bull Run. Happy with that progress. :)

I"m itching. Can't wait to get my road bike onto, well, the road! Still too much winter yet.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#35 Post by reddo » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:33 am

Well, the sun was shining on Good Friday so I went out. Bloody dropper post played up again so the seat was more or less as low as it would go. Grr. That made pedaling a touch tricky, not to mention very inefficient. Any way, headed to Woburn to have a look at their new trail that's being built. The completed bits are very nice and quite fun. Not perfectly groomed like a trail centre, but still quite natural. Got sick of the bloody dropper post so went over to the jump/DH section. Had 2 cracks at the Transfer Line which was fun and really enjoyed that.

Bike's now in the shop so Rockshox can finally sort out that post.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#36 Post by reddo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:07 am

More on the bloody dropper post saga. Rockshox have agreed to replace it under warranty. Yay. Not bad considering the bike's 18 months old. I didn't have to fight them etc, shop sent it to Rockshox and they'll sort it, no arguments. :D

reddo
Capt
Capt

#37 Post by reddo » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:47 am

Yay. The UCI Redbull World Downhill MTB champs are back on.http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/bike

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:57 am

Biked everywhere as a schoolboy, teenager etc. then gave my 1946 vintage 7 quid ( new ) Rudge bike with Sturmey Arcger 3-speed to my son, who took it to Oxford, broke a pedal and had it stolen - who'd steal a one pedal bike ? - and then never looked back until aged 60, when Mrs ExS bought me a proper bike, 26" wheels, drop handlebars, 3 speed derailleur gears etc. almost a carbon copy of my old one, for $20 from a local Op.Shop.

Used that for about 10 years, mainly just to hang on the back of the car to ride home when the car was at the garage for various reasons until one day a spring on the gear chain broke. The local dealer quoted $400 to repair it, some sort of antique cost I believe ! I gave it to the school bazzar raffle collection, "as is".

I then bought an 18 speed Mountain Bike, cheap, from the local equivalent of Walmart. Hated it, don't like the straight handlebars, and who the f**k needs 18 gears ? I'd settle for 4, very very low for hill climbing, and very very high for gentle descents that still need a bit of help and the other two for everywhere else. Recently sold it and am now combing the Op. shops for another $20 bargain "proper" bike. My local dealer has a bike priced at $4,000.oo !! Has the World gone truly mad, I didn't spend that on my last car !

reddo
Capt
Capt

#39 Post by reddo » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:45 am

The trend now in MTB is to go single chain ring at the front, 11-12 cluster at the back. I love that combo. Nice and easy. :)

reddo
Capt
Capt

#40 Post by reddo » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:32 pm

Threw myself on the ground at Chicksands on the 4X track. Ouch. Armour did the trick.....