Cycling

Whether a participant or, dare I say it, a spectator - enjoy.
reddo
Capt
Capt
Cycling

#1 Post by reddo » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:44 am

Who rides bikes here?
I have a road bike but I'll be honest, have hardly ridden it since I have my fantastic mountain bike. I am lucky, I have Woburn, Rushmere and Chicksands nearby.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Cycling

#2 Post by rgbrock1 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:30 pm

I ride, reddo. I have a Tomasso road bike. Alu frame with titanium fork and seat stays.

This is a stock photo of it.

Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

chksix
FO
FO

#3 Post by chksix » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:59 pm

My bike. Havn't ridden it in ages due to lack of time. My children are dominating me ^:)^

Sisemen

#4 Post by Sisemen » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:01 pm

Unfortunately I can't post a pic of my bike - she's at work :D

reddo
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by reddo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:20 am

Oooh a Yeti. Looks like the business.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#6 Post by reddo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:23 am

This is my road bike.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by reddo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:27 am

My Whyte G-150S and a mate's Ibis Mojo HD

reddo
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by reddo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:28 am

On the sooty (road bike), the pedals have been changed. They are not those ugly things. I now have touring pedals on it, one side flat for normal shoes, the other side SPD for clipless shoes. :D

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:06 pm

reddo wrote:On the sooty (road bike), the pedals have been changed. They are not those ugly things. I now have touring pedals on it, one side flat for normal shoes, the other side SPD for clipless shoes. :D

Eh? I've never heard of such pedals. I've only ever seen the flat type, clipless and rat cages but never a combination of any of them. Interesting.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by 500N » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:07 pm

I know a lot of soldiers and ex soldiers who cycle, far less impact on the body.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:11 pm

500N wrote:I know a lot of soldiers and ex soldiers who cycle, far less impact on the body.

Roger that. Before I took up road cycling I used to run outdoors. No, not jog but run. After awhile I could feel the effect it was having on me. Although I still run on the treadmill it's not the same as doing so outdoors: a lot less jarring. But I did learn one thing after many years of road cycling: depending on terrain, cycling can be just as "difficult", if not more so, than running. ("Difficult" as in cardio-wise) And cycling really has not much effect on ones ligaments, joints and other body parts.

chksix
FO
FO

#12 Post by chksix » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:53 pm

RG, I've switchd my pedals to "SPD" as thay are known since I took the picture of my bike above. Once you get the hang of using them you get the effect of having turbo boost up hills etc. 4 legs instead of 2 since you pull the rear pedal upwards.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:08 pm

chksix wrote:RG, I've switchd my pedals to "SPD" as thay are known since I took the picture of my bike above. Once you get the hang of using them you get the effect of having turbo boost up hills etc. 4 legs instead of 2 since you pull the rear pedal upwards.

I have always used Shimano's SPD pedals, no news there. (Aside from one cycling season when I wore Look cleats and the Look-compatible pedals. Didn't like them.) What I was referring to, and which I had never seen nor heard of before, are dual-pedals i.e., one side being SPD and the other side flat for normal-wear shoes.

And as far as a turbo-boost up hills? I tend to stand in the pedals, and slightly rock the bike, when transiting hills so the normal pull-up, shit-scraping motion on the pedals is moot then.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#14 Post by reddo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:47 pm

The Shimano A530 pedal is what I have on the road bike.
http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/content/seh ... -a530.html

On the MTB I use flats by DMR. Vaults. http://www.dmrbikes.com/products/pedals/vault
Combined with 510s they are plenty grippy enough for climbing and descending. I love them.

One of the reasons why I returned to biking was that running was just giving my back too much gyp. I was also injuring myself even though I was following all the precautions of warming up, easing into it, good shoes etc plus stretching. Even the physio said so. It was also aggravating my asthma.

I switched to biking and found even with the same work rate (as measured by a heart rate monitor), it was not aggravating the asthma and with the exceptions of very steep climbs, not nearly as much perceived hard work. :)

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:59 pm

reddo wrote:The Shimano A530 pedal is what I have on the road bike.
http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/content/seh ... -a530.html

On the MTB I use flats by DMR. Vaults. http://www.dmrbikes.com/products/pedals/vault
Combined with 510s they are plenty grippy enough for climbing and descending. I love them.

One of the reasons why I returned to biking was that running was just giving my back too much gyp. I was also injuring myself even though I was following all the precautions of warming up, easing into it, good shoes etc plus stretching. Even the physio said so. It was also aggravating my asthma.

I switched to biking and found even with the same work rate (as measured by a heart rate monitor), it was not aggravating the asthma and with the exceptions of very steep climbs, not nearly as much perceived hard work. :)

I'm with you on all of the above. I've found that lately, even on the treadmill, running is wreaking havoc on my knees. Cycling has never done that. And, a definite yes, as to the same work rate doesn't seem as "difficult" on a bike as it does running.

I use Shimano PD-R540 SPD-SL pedals with Shimano SH51 SPD cleats.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#16 Post by reddo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:59 pm

I'll be honest too, I just love tackling some interesting trail and getting it right or even just surviving if it's particularly aggro. It's also a natural HIIT workout.
I used to run a lot when I was younger, quite good at it too (school cross country champ etc) but I have never grinned like I did after riding at Glentress (Spooky wood descent) after going for a jog. :D
I do like the social aspects of MTB riding. Folks stop and chat etc. Roadies are fine too, they do wave.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:01 pm

reddo wrote:I'll be honest too, I just love tackling some interesting trail and getting it right or even just surviving if it's particularly aggro. It's also a natural HIIT workout.
I used to run a lot when I was younger, quite good at it too (school cross country champ etc) but I have never grinned like I did after riding at Glentress (Spooky wood descent) after going for a jog. :D
I do like the social aspects of MTB riding. Folks stop and chat etc. Roadies are fine too, they do wave.

At the age of 58, as I am, the idea of bone-jarring excursions riding a bike on some trail isn't all that appealing to me. :D For me, there is nothing like the sound of a well-tarred road whistling under the tires.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#18 Post by reddo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:04 pm

Hey, I'm 50 :D

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by rgbrock1 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:47 pm