World Cup in Japan - Rugby Union

Whether a participant or, dare I say it, a spectator - enjoy.
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: World Cup in Japan - Rugby Union

#81 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:16 pm

FD2 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:03 pm
I was hoping he was going to bite de Klerk's face off - now that would have livened up the slugfest! Like yesterday the damp ground slowed it down and made it a war of attrition, with too much kicking and mis-handling. Great game nonetheless. Ihope the final is on firmer ground.
They had some really torrential rain in the region prior to today's matches, so one hopes that it eases off for the next game on Friday. While New Zealand will probably relish the opportunity to put in a good display and recover some of their form and pride, I imagine Wales will be lamenting the fact that they will have one less day to recover from today's pounding. It is always a pleasure to watch both New Zealand and Wales play so I look forward to it.

As for that photo, de Klerk is a real character at Sale Sharks in the UK, although as you say that photo looked like something out the the Lord of the Rings with de Klerk cast as the Goblin about to be devoured by an angry Orc.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#82 Post by FD2 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:56 pm

Great spot Goblin. Lord of the Rings stuff, or Jurassic Park maybe. Expect they all need a week of hot baths and massage before the next matches.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#83 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:39 pm

The New Zealand Herald sums up what Friday's game will mean to the All Blacks and their departing coach Steve Hansen et al!

Play off for 3rd place...

Of course Warren Gatland will also want to leave Wales on a high. Both Gatland and Hansen are class acts and their tenures will be hard to replicate.

The class of these Southern Hemispheric coaches was evident in the speech that I heard Graham Henry give in Cardiff some years back. Clearly a very intelligent, articulate, driven but basically good human being. Pity our politicians can't be a little more like these men.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#84 Post by Karearea » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:45 pm

I think that moment when Wales managed to equalise was the most exciting I've heard in a long time :YMPARTY: and I'm sorry they didn't win.

Semi-finals and of course finals of just about anything are great stuff in my opinion.
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#85 Post by Woody » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:56 pm

Great comments from Steve Hansen :-bd
England have been fined £2,000 for crossing the halfway line as they lined up in a V formation to face the haka before their Rugby World Cup semi-final match against New Zealand.

World Rugby rules stipulate teams must remain within their own half of the pitch to receive the challenge.

Referee Nigel Owens and his team had to usher several England players back as they strayed over halfway.

England won the game 19-7 and will play South Africa in Saturday's final.

World Rugby said England breached tournament rules "relating to cultural challenges".

Reacting to news of the fine, New Zealand head coach Steve Hansen said he thought England's response to the haka was "fantastic", adding: "They didn't get fined for responding, they got fined because they went over halfway.

"If you understand the haka then it requires a response. It's a challenge to you personally and it requires you to have a response. I thought it was brilliant - quite imaginative too."
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#86 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:34 pm

See HRH PH is on his way for the finals. Hope he gets to join in the parties win or lose without that woman to control him.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#87 Post by ian16th » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:51 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:34 pm
See HRH PH is on his way for the finals. Hope he gets to join in the parties win or lose without that woman to control him.
Isn't he going as Patron/President or some such of the RFU?

In which case he will be at the official do's.

I've also seen somewhere that Mr & Mrs Tindell are there, so he has family to look after him. o:-)
Cynicism improves with age

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#88 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:08 pm

Woody wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:56 pm
Great comments from Steve Hansen :-bd
I have always wondered when the Scottish would face the haka by arriving in kilts and turning to bare their backsides. Whakapohane is the Māori practice of baring one's buttocks after all although it is intended to offend I hear, so perhaps it is best left out in the interests of friendship between teams and nations in rugby! ;)))

Let's hope the English leave their arrows behind this weekend mind.

Scottish mocking the British? Didn't the dingbat who posted this Braveheart video realise that the Scottish are British too?

Rugby is the friendly way of waging war of a kind after all. A superb game fought brutally on the field but marked by a kinship and a spirit that allows for sportsmanship and genuine admiration and friendship between some foes after the game is over although there was clearly little love lost between antagonists like Joost van der Westhuizen and Keith Wood back in the day.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#89 Post by llondel » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:54 pm

Give blood - play rugby!

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#90 Post by Woody » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:37 pm

Rugby the winner from this tournament regardless of results in next two days. But, come on Wales and England
When all else fails, read the instructions.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#91 Post by FD2 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:41 pm

+1 I hope England turn up with the same spirit they showed in the last game. Wales may have a tougher challenge as the ABs will want to save face after the England game.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#92 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:21 am

Free to watch the game tomorrow morning and looking forward to it. Who to support? Aagh I have sentiments for the both of them.

I am sure it will be one of the hardest games of this tournament. Good people all.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#93 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:51 am

Normal service is resumed and the All Blacks dominate an enjoyable match. I feel for Warren Gatland mind!

Steve Hansen teared up when being interviewed and the crowd started to applaud him.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#94 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:38 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:21 am
Free to watch the game tomorrow morning and looking forward to it. Who to support? Aagh I have sentiments for the both of them.

I am sure it will be one of the hardest games of this tournament. Good people all.
With respect GG I don't think so. Tomorrow is going to be bloody tough. And, I fear that we are going to lose. Have you seen the size of those bastards from down south of us. If we win, it will be down to tactics.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#95 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:48 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:38 pm

With respect GG I don't think so. Tomorrow is going to be bloody tough. And, I fear that we are going to lose. Have you seen the size of those bastards from down south of us. If we win, it will be down to tactics.
I agree that tomorrow is going to be hugely physical and difficult, not to say brutal. My comment about the game today was really that it was going to be mentally hard today as both teams were severely disappointed to have failed to get to the final. The look on Warren Gatland's face when Wales lost today (his last game with the Welsh) said it all and Steve Hansen was close to tears as he was applauded by the crowd on his last day with the All Blacks as well.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#96 Post by FD2 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:52 pm

Now for the final battle of attrition. I hope it stays dry. I think it's too close to predict when they've both got their tails up for a final.

40 - 17 - ABs expected winners - but not a walkover. I think it is 66 years since they beat the Men In Black now, so the odds weren't in their favour.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#97 Post by ian16th » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:14 pm

Isn't it true that the last Welsh team to beat the AB, was the Llanelli Club team?
Cynicism improves with age

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#98 Post by FD2 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:54 pm

I believe a lot of the England team play for Saracens so they might have the same advantage. I don't know if there's a northern tour for the ABs this (northern) winter. If not, Wales will have another long wait for revenge.

A Welsh friend describes the NZ games as the 'ritual humiliation by the men in black'.

May the best team win tonight.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#99 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:18 pm

Anyone have a secret reference for us internet types to watch live?
Failing that, will the full game be up later?
PMs welcome.

ribrash

#100 Post by ribrash » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:21 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:18 pm
Anyone have a secret reference for us internet types to watch live?
Failing that, will the full game be up later?
PMs welcome.
I did have one but sadly it was taken over by spammers,scammers and other trolls. ~X(