Civilisation coming to the US

Whether a participant or, dare I say it, a spectator - enjoy.
llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Civilisation coming to the US

#1 Post by llondel » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:12 pm

Spotted this in my local news, we might get a cricket stadium in San Jose.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/s ... m/2784507/

I remember the first time I drove past the local school one weekend and saw what looked like a cricket match in progress on their sports field, then realised that there's a fairly large immigrant population from Pakistan/India in the area, so there's critical mass to be able to get things done.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Civilisation coming to the US

#2 Post by Pinky the pilot » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:19 am

I'm sure that some people are aware that Cricket was played on a regular basis in Hollywood back in the 30's and 40's. My late Father completed his Wings course in Canada in '43 and for some reason spent some time in Hollywood getting shown around the place.

The usual thing happened; Met a few 'film stars' but he said that the best thing that happened to him was being picked to open the batting for Sir C Aubrey Smith's team for one match. There are a few photos of this occasion in a photo album of his, but as I remember they really did not show much detail. (Taken from the boundary with a normal lens)

Dad said that he managed to get his score up to around 30 runs but then the bowling changed to a spinner and he was out LBW shortly thereafter.

Regrettably, I did not inherit Dad's Cricketing skills. :((
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.