Wing foiling

Whether a participant or, dare I say it, a spectator - enjoy.
reddo
Capt
Capt
Wing foiling

#1 Post by reddo » Wed May 01, 2024 11:00 am

I used to windsurf (or sail board) but after a trip to the Maldives, I tried wing foiling. It's an interesting activity whereby instead of a fin, you have a hydrofoil (2) underneath and its purpose is to elevate the board above the water. Propulsion is from either a small motor or a wing (not a sail as in windsurfing or a kite as in kitesurfing). It is inflatable and attached to you via a leash.

What a learning curve! I have managed 3 extremely short flights before crashing. To say it's difficult is an understatement. However, I am a glutton for punishment so I am continuing :D It is a very good work out!

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Wing foiling

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed May 01, 2024 2:51 pm

reddo wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 11:00 am
I used to windsurf (or sail board) but after a trip to the Maldives, I tried wing foiling. It's an interesting activity whereby instead of a fin, you have a hydrofoil (2) underneath and its purpose is to elevate the board above the water. Propulsion is from either a small motor or a wing (not a sail as in windsurfing or a kite as in kitesurfing). It is inflatable and attached to you via a leash.

What a learning curve! I have managed 3 extremely short flights before crashing. To say it's difficult is an understatement. However, I am a glutton for punishment so I am continuing :D It is a very good work out!
That is on my list as well.
Not necessarily a foil, but at least with a board, kite or wing.

PP

reddo
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by reddo » Wed May 01, 2024 7:55 pm

I started on a windsurf board to learn basic wing handling. :)

reddo
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by reddo » Wed May 01, 2024 7:56 pm

I do strongly advise lessons. It will shorten the learning curve and get you going. Then, as I am finding out, time on/in water. :D