Captain of HMS Queen Elizabeth "reassigned" to new role

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers who have taken the Oath, worn the uniform & even loitered in harm's way occasionally.
FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Captain of HMS Queen Elizabeth "reassigned" to new role

#101 Post by FD2 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:05 pm

I’ll let you know if they ever just wear a commodore’s uniform as soon as chum replies.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#102 Post by FD2 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:01 am

Apparently it is a one star rank and a broad stripe on the sleeve, apart from the two carrier captains, who should call themselves 'captain' but are actually commodores. They have fancy shoulder pads now with one pip instead of the broad stripe. That's much clearer now.....

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#103 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:23 am

Although the OP photo shows 4-bar.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#104 Post by FD2 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:44 pm

I should have added that those two dress as captains.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#105 Post by ian16th » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:22 am

Cynicism improves with age

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#106 Post by FD2 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:36 am

If he requests 'premature voluntary release' instead of resigning, he gets to keep his pension, if the rules haven't changed. A year's service is the payback time by the look of it, probably driving a desk somewhere.

He would have been certain of promotion to rear admiral if he hadn't screwed up, so his promotion prospects are now zero. Might as well get out and get another job.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#107 Post by Boac » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:40 am

Start a car-hire company?

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#108 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:14 am

Surely in this day and age you can't be stripped of a pension in any job under any circumstances? That would seem excessively harsh. I know it used to happen in the Police but does it even happen there nowadays? We must have moved on from that kind of Victorian action.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#109 Post by FD2 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:29 pm

I'm sure the rules have changed as you say C16. The 'resignation' was a means of instant/immediate exit and often meant forfeiture of 'rights'.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#110 Post by Boac » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:41 pm

There just has to be more behind this - can our fishheads let us into the secret...? I cannot believe you lose command of QE just for having your wife run round in your motor.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#111 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:08 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:41 pm
There just has to be more behind this - can our fishheads let us into the secret...? I cannot believe you lose command of QE just for having your wife run round in your motor.
There's a couple of threads on here

Separate from the comments about the CO of QE, the Diamond Lil's thread is not for the faint-hearted.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#112 Post by FD2 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:28 pm

Boac - like you I thought there must be something more behind this. A very capable officer, who was at least destined to make rear admiral after command of QE and then being dismissed his command over what seems like the trivial use of the car at the weekend and by his wife. A mere oversight on his part and foolish but surely not deserving of him losing the command. I have been in touch with three chums, all retired now, but there's nothing on the 'grapevine' - just astonishment at C-P's arrogance and self-entitlement over this car business. In the past, companies like Rover would sometimes have a deal with carrier captains that they would supply them with a prestige car like a Range Rover, free of charge, for their personal use as an advertisement for the company concerned. The rules were very clear that the deal was between the company and the captain to use, especially abroad, as he saw fit.

This particular car was not supplied for C-P's personal use. it was a service car and should have been available for others in the ship to use if required, but it was effectively purloined by C-P. He and his wife ran up a considerable mileage in it and fiddled the figures in the mileage logbook in the car. This became apparent when he was finally dobbed in by his own people and the MOD police took an interest. He is supposed to be above that sort of thing and would have come down on one of his own crew like a ton of bricks for a similar offence. It's easy to sit and criticise from my chair but my thoughts keep returning to the fact that his pay would have been, and still is over £100,000 p.a...

4mast - there's a very interesting bit about the pubs in Union Street, Plymouth the night before Ark Royal was due to sail from Devonport in the old documentary 'Sailor'. Not for the faint hearted indeed but might offend the YouTube female nipple police... :YMPARTY:

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#113 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:46 pm

FD2 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:28 pm
..... ........
4mast - there's a very interesting bit about the pubs in Union Street, Plymouth the night before Ark Royal was due to sail from Devonport in the old documentary 'Sailor'. Not for the faint hearted indeed but might offend the YouTube female nipple police... :YMPARTY:
The 892 matelots were like that when they were disembarked to Leuchars - they didn't need tv cameras being around for them to "perform". Several of those attempting the gangway obstacle course whilst trying to get back on board were from 892.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#114 Post by FD2 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:32 pm

I wonder if the culture is any different 40 or 50 years later. I suspect not. There's a reputation to be upheld!

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#115 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:52 am

FD2 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:32 pm
I wonder if the culture is any different 40 or 50 years later. I suspect not. There's a reputation to be upheld!
>>slight thread drift<<

I bumped into a former killick from 892/PTF when I was down in Devon on holiday earlier this year. HTF he recognised me after nearly 40 years gawd only knows. During a lamp-swinging and pulling up a sandbag session he said his grandson had joined the dark blue and there are differences between their respective times in the Navy with such things called "equality and diversity training", "ethnic awareness(?)" courses and counselling for using "inappropriate language", although Jolly Jack Tar still likes a good run ashore.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#116 Post by prospector » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:13 am

After filling in time going through this thread this skit comes to mind.