Captain of HMS Queen Elizabeth "reassigned" to new role

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers who have taken the Oath, worn the uniform & even loitered in harm's way occasionally.
Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Captain of HMS Queen Elizabeth "reassigned" to new role

#21 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat May 18, 2019 9:51 pm

'Till death us do part' was intended as a satire on racism, with Alf, the Cockney, Conservative, West 'am supporter being played by Warren, the Jewish, Labour, Tottenham supporter. However, quite a few on the right decided Alf was 'the voice of reason', and indeed the BBC have sought to remove all valid questions from their right wing hate figures ever since. One could argue that Alf was part of the reason the BBC disappeared into its bubble, by refusing to accept that the likes of Alf, whilst generally horribly wrong, might have a point, now and again. However, this is now trending into Brexit thread territory.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by FD2 » Sat May 18, 2019 10:08 pm

The BBC appear to be bitterly disappointed by the result of the Australian election, having forecast a Labor (sic) win they had to announce a 'shock' Conservative one instead. What a shame, never mind. Might keep the snowflake generation at bay a little longer.

Sisemen

#23 Post by Sisemen » Sun May 19, 2019 3:38 am

The ABC over here (the media arm of the Labor Party) were shocked and stunned that the unthinkable happened. It was really enjoyable watching them squirm. Labor supporters are in denial today (see War in Australia thread) and no doubt the calls for a new election on the grounds that the Coalition win couldn’t have happened will start to surface.

Sportsbet actually paid out on bets for Labor to win BEFORE the polls closed =)) =))

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun May 19, 2019 7:16 am

And the link to the OP?

Reassigned to a new topic.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun May 19, 2019 7:24 am

FD2 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:39 pm
And Burton - unfortunate taste in women but I guess someone who drank as much as hid did would have been difficult to live with. A great actor and what a voice.
And his voice lives on in the Temple of Karnak at Luxor.

603DX
Capt
Capt

#26 Post by 603DX » Sun May 19, 2019 4:44 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:24 am
FD2 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:39 pm
And Burton - unfortunate taste in women but I guess someone who drank as much as hid did would have been difficult to live with. A great actor and what a voice.
And his voice lives on in the Temple of Karnak at Luxor.
Where I have heard and admired it, at one of the regular "Son et Lumiere" events.

Another memorable example of his superb tones is the famous BBC recording of his reading of Dylan Thomas's "Under Milk Wood", giving startling life to the antics of Organ Morgan, Captain Kat, and all the other diverse imaginary characters that Thomas conjured up from his interesting "interpretation" of the population of Laugharne in South Wales. My younger daughter has a timeshare there, so I've been there often, and put away a pint or two in Brown's Hotel, his local when he lived there. It was a surprise to find so many Japanese tourists in Laugharne, following the "Thomas Trail". Somehow it seems unexpected that his fame has reached that far!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Boac » Sun May 19, 2019 5:51 pm

I'm now confused! Did Burton take command of the QE? Was that before or after Cooke-Priest? Help me someone, this thread has got lost at sea.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun May 19, 2019 6:21 pm

..down to the sloeblack, slow, black, crowblack, fishingboat-bobbing sea

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun May 19, 2019 6:27 pm

And there we, back at sea, Commodore Cooke-Priest gone for a Burton.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun May 19, 2019 6:55 pm

:YMAPPLAUSE:
PN on form tonight!

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by FD2 » Sun May 19, 2019 7:25 pm

Very good PN! Back on track again, I have been in touch with two old chums, both retired captains and there doesn’t appear to be any more gossip. It’s as simple as I feared - he was relieved of his command simply because he used that crappy car at the weekend(s). Quite amazing and pathetic if that’s the case. :-q

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon May 20, 2019 7:31 am

There was a worse case, can't remember the fine detail, Colonel and a golf match, staff car, driver and a helicopter. I think he drove down flew back.

I remember 'our' incident, but we had a Pembroke fly us from Benson to Waddington for the summer ball and two Bassetts to fky us back Saturday.

Put like that it was clearly extravagant. However we were displaying at Farnborough that week. Skipper said if no ferry flight we would fly home in our aircraft but would not fly back next day. No idea whose arms he twisted but out and out blackmail.

Sisemen

#33 Post by Sisemen » Mon May 20, 2019 7:47 am

I was at MOD when our 2* had to remove his things from his desk awfully quickly following his "incident" in the public toilets at Oxford Circus!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon May 20, 2019 8:11 am

The AOC borrowed a Tornado once to get back down to London for a meeting, however he and his ADC were type-qualified and needed a currency refresher, so all legal. Me and an oppo had to get a fast black down to Hatfield to fetch it back. I think BAe waived the landing charges, and there was enough left in the tank to get it back - Hatfield had no jet fuel then as they were about to close for good.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon May 20, 2019 8:15 am

Sisemen wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:47 am
I was at MOD when our 2* had to remove his things from his desk awfully quickly following his "incident" in the public toilets at Oxford Circus!
I heard it was Shepherd's Bush and a CIA sting, unless it was a different one.

Wandering hands?

Sisemen

#36 Post by Sisemen » Mon May 20, 2019 8:41 am

He was DGPS in 1988-89 (and damned if I can remember his name). He was ex-kipper fleet and was succeeded by Air Vice Marshal David Crwys-Williams

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by 4mastacker » Mon May 20, 2019 6:20 pm

Then there was the boss of a Tornado sqn who was relieved of his command for allegedly using his sqn's jets to visit another base for some extra-marital naughtiness.

Oh! ..and the station commander of a large equipment storage depot who was caught shoplifting in M&S - caught on a Saturday, gone by Monday morning.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon May 20, 2019 6:37 pm

Interesting. My own IOT flight commander (stacker) was later court marshaled and dismissed for shoplifting. Is this a stacker thing?
As for Tornado Sqn Cdrs having extra-marital affairs, I have on at least two occasions had to chat up the other one whilst my boss.... What's unusual is that that one got caught.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon May 20, 2019 6:54 pm

Three quarters in a row. Captain Crew 3 used to hurdle the fences of Captain Crew 6 to reach Captain Crew 2, wife of.

Unfortunately Crew 2 returned early and out of sequence. He was gone pdq.

Same sqn, another captain, providing services that ATCO male was not providing for Mrs ATCO. Unfortunately only 3 of the 4 were happy with that arrangement and another pdq posting ensued while they 'sorted' our the mess. The captain was attached to HQ 18 Gp. The story goes that the culprit met Sir John Curtis in the corridor. The conversation was very short. "Who are you?" followed by " Get off my Station". A short holding posting, probably at Uxbridge and another early exit.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by FD2 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:22 pm

A friend was having 'relations' with someone in California and as her daddy was rich she was able to follow the ship around the various ports of call before they finally set off for the U.K. from New York. One guy, without malice, told his wife (in one of those letter thingies we used to use back then) and that was the end of my friend's marriage as the news spread around the MQs in the blink of an eye. He didn't learn his lesson though - I guess some people just can't help themselves.

Another chum's ship got back a day early in Portsmouth and he deliberately hadn't told his wife as he had a suspicion 'something was going on'. He arrived back at their house to find he was right, so the end of another marriage.

Another chum managed to keep 5 or 6 girlfriends on the go at a time. I admired his time management skills and brass neck.

The father of a friend was spotted at a station far distant from where he should have been, purely by chance, by another person who was just making one unusual visit there. That was the end of the affair and the marriage.

How did that old calypso style song go?

'Oh woe is me, shame and scandal in the family''....there's a lot of it about.